Conch diving???

CloudyDae

Hi,

We will be on a cruise in Nov. that stops in Nassau from 9am-2pm. I was wondering if anyone knows of boats that take you conch diving in the area? There is a party of 7 adults and 2 children and I would like info on both private and group boats. Carnival is now offering an excursion:

"Search for real pearl oysters and Bahamian conch shells underwater, relax at the beach and half the fun is getting there!

On this excursion you will:.

• Board the Tiki Island boat, a triple deck floating island complete with Jacuzzis, bars, and island music.

• Unwind in one of the Jacuzzis while you enjoy a guided harbor tour en route to your snorkel destination

• Get assistance from your guide who will provide the snorkel gear and assist you from the swim platform into the water.

• Search for an oyster or Bahamian conch shell on your guided snorkel to

• Learn how to open your oyster to see if you have a pearl inside and you can take the pearl home as a souvenir!

• Receive a demonstration from your guide (if you find a conch shell) as to how fishermen remove the meat from the shell and you’ll have the opportunity to sample the famous Bahamian conch salad.

• Enjoy the beach and soak up the sun with unlimited sodas and the special Tiki Island tropical drink once the Tiki Island has reached its final beach destination.

• Enjoy a barbeque lunch which will be served with your choice of barbeque chicken, hamburger, or hot dog, salads and fruits.

• Have more fun and join the limbo competition, on the cruise back."

But it looks like they will plant the conch shells, and we would like something more authentic and private.

We got a price of $800 from Island Tours for 4 hours, if anyone has any info on Island Tours or if that sounds like an OK price...please let me know. If there's no conch diving in the area, snorkling would do us just fine, if you know of any good charter companies.

Thanks in advance!:)

Hi,

We will be on a cruise in Nov. that stops in Nassau from 9am-2pm. I was wondering if anyone knows of boats that take you conch diving in the area? There is a party of 7 adults and 2 children and I would like info on both private and group boats. Carnival is now offering an excursion:

"Search for real pearl oysters and Bahamian conch shells underwater, relax at the beach and half the fun is getting there!

On this excursion you will:.

• Board the Tiki Island boat, a triple deck floating island complete with Jacuzzis, bars, and island music.

• Unwind in one of the Jacuzzis while you enjoy a guided harbor tour en route to your snorkel destination

• Get assistance from your guide who will provide the snorkel gear and assist you from the swim platform into the water.

• Search for an oyster or Bahamian conch shell on your guided snorkel to

• Learn how to open your oyster to see if you have a pearl inside and you can take the pearl home as a souvenir!

• Receive a demonstration from your guide (if you find a conch shell) as to how fishermen remove the meat from the shell and you’ll have the opportunity to sample the famous Bahamian conch salad.

• Enjoy the beach and soak up the sun with unlimited sodas and the special Tiki Island tropical drink once the Tiki Island has reached its final beach destination.

• Enjoy a barbeque lunch which will be served with your choice of barbeque chicken, hamburger, or hot dog, salads and fruits.

• Have more fun and join the limbo competition, on the cruise back."

But it looks like they will plant the conch shells, and we would like something more authentic and private.

We got a price of $800 from Island Tours for 4 hours, if anyone has any info on Island Tours or if that sounds like an OK price...please let me know. If there's no conch diving in the area, snorkling would do us just fine, if you know of any good charter companies.

Thanks in advance!:)

Don't know of anyone who does an authentic conch dive. The one describe above is at Pearl Island, and they shells are seeded in a small fenced in area. NOT recommended.

Conching in the immediate area is not that great anymore. Leeching from concrete and other construction materials has depleted the supply. So you would have to charter a boat to take you out a bit further.

Even your local snorkeling trips don't have live conch on the ocean floor like we used to see.

If you don't find what your looking for.. a snorkeling trip with Flying Cloud, Seahorse or Stuart Cove (includes a shark adventure) should do the trick.

Thanks Scuba Girl,

We went conch diving in Turks an Caicos several years ago w/ the kids, and it was the highlight of our vacation. I can't wait to go again. When I saw this excursion thru Carnival, I was thrilled and figured that there had to be conch somewhere in the Bahamian waters. However, we will only be docked from 7am-2pm, so w/ time constraints, we won't be able to venture far. I will look into the places you've posted, and thanks again for your reply!

~Cloudy;)

Archived