Arcadia - Aft cabins

speedwell

Was in a C deck aft cabin (corner suite) in September and there was most definately no vibration!! Nor July 06 when we were on too.

You know those aft cabins are IMO the best rooms in the house (so to speak)!!!!!!!

When we booked for Sept this year we could only get a midships suite next to the outdoor lifts! I had our name down on a waiting list to be moved down should one become available. I was over the moon when they rang to ask if I wanted to downgraded. Especially as I think it's not a downgrade!!!!! :)

Elaine

welovecruiseships

Thanks for the link to all your cruise videos. We were on the Century sailing to Guernsey last June too so your video brought back some nice memories, I did look to see if I could see us sunbathing on the deck!!!

Regarding the vibration in aft cabins. The only time we noticed any was when the ship was going at full speed which was only about 2 nights out of 14 and it didn't really bother us.

Another big advantage on the afts is the fact that they are sheltered. One day there was a force 9 blowing and they closed off some of the public decks but we were able to sunbathe on our balcony and watch the waves quite safely!

Sue

As Babs said you can lean on the rail and see both sides of the port, and on the Panama Canal itinerary it was just the best place to be as you can see from these pictures!

Waving to the 'mule' driver on the Panama Canal transit

DSCF0176-1.jpg

DSCF0185.jpg

Thanks Abbafan

Now Im getting excited about our aft cabin we are in E186, so next door to featured picture.

I may be wrong but looking at some aft pictures of the Arcadia I think E186 might have a little metal work in front of the vista view glass front.

Clearly E187 has no obstruction at all can you please confirm do you remember noting anything when looking over the back and at next door?

Thanks Ian

Ian,

I think I am correct in thinking that there is a little stand outside the vista window on E186 which is used when the guys are cleaning the windows.

Remember the E aft cabins are directly above the Meridien Restaurant and they are very large windows in the restaurant.

I am sure your view will not be obscured thought.

Regards,

Babs

I only just found out how to do it recently. Its a bit of a faff but here goes:

You need to resize your pictures to post them . I download mine to photobucket.com then resize them to 320x240.Its free to register

Then you click on copy the url of the image (click direct link on photobucket, its the second link under each picture.). Come back to cruisecritic and reply to your message click on the picture icon above the reply box then paste the link in the box that comes up and hit OK.

DSCF0062.jpg

Heres the Jane Macdonald picture you wanted me to post!

I always preview the post to make sure its worked. Then you can edit it if it doesn't look right. Hope this helps, it sounds complicated but with practice it gets easier. If you get stuck go on the tips and tricks forum and someone else may have explained it better!

Morning Everyone

I've just been talking to the friend who is taking the cruise with the aft balcony and he is very impressed with the amount of information available on these boards.

It is his first cruise and his first experience of using the boards.

I'm "hors de combat" at the moment, but hope to be able to resume cruising next year. I usually cruise with Celebrity and the aft cabins on the M class ships are huge.

Apart from the sun loungers, there are 4 chairs and a larger than normal table - ideal for breakfast.

I will probably restrict myself to a UK based cruise next year. Has anyone had experience of the Marco Polo? I know it is changing hands before the start of next season's cruises from Tilbury, but the itineraries look interesting if I do not want to stray too far from the UK.

Many thanks for all your comments re the aft balcony.

Speedwell

Hi Speedwell

We are going to be in of those huge aft balcony cabins next week on the Constellation, can't wait. We can have a dance on the balcony its so big!!!!

Glad your friend has found these boards helpful. I have had so much advice from people on here that has truly made our cruising experiences so much better, I wouldn't cruise without them!!:D

Lisa

Abbafan

I'm extremely jealous!

If you leave the balcony doors open you might find they tend to close with the roll of the ship.

In theory, you can lock them by turning the door handle, but if this does not work there is a catch on the right hand edge of the door frame that locks the door in position. I'm not sure they are on all the M class ships, but they are certainly on some of them.

I've had 9201 on both the Millennium and Constellation and they are excellent.

Speedwell

Thanks for that info Speedwell. We want to try some different lines and ships but have been spoiled by having 2 aft cabins on Arcadia so it is good to know that Millenium and Consellation have these as well. We will definately look at these for our next cruise.

Unfortunately doubt it will be next year as we already have two holidays booked, both to the States and our leave time is mostly used up now as one trip is for 3 weeks and the other for 2.

Abbafan, how can you take so many cruises in a year - do you work for youself or are you able to just go when you like - I am jealous cause would love more leave time? Tell me your secret.

Regards,

Babs

Babs

The Americans tend to reserve the aft cabins as soon as they are available.

However, about 6/8 weeks prior to sailing they occasionally come back on the market. The Americans have a different set of booking conditions to us and, although they pay a larger deposit, they can cancel without penalty up to the final payment stage.

It should be possible to change an "ordinary" cabin to one of the afts without too much trouble.

Another point of interest for Celebrity and Royal Caribbean (I don't much about the others). If the cruise line advertises a cheaper price than the one you agreed to at booking, it is possible to contact the cruise line and obtain the cheaper price.

Travel agents and Customer Services might put up a token resistance, but eventually give way. Someone on the Roll Call board usually keeps tabs on the prices on a daily basis and passes on info on the latest reductions. I saved some Americans $500pp on the April 2007 Transatlantic.

Speedwell

Ah maybe we should look at 2010 now then (if the itineraries are out yet) and get ourselves a nice aft balcony booked.

Got to beat those yanks at their own game even though some of our very best friends are good old US beings - we love em really:D

Will definately start looking for a couple of years away - always something to look forward to

Regards,

Babs

Abbafan, how can you take so many cruises in a year - do you work for youself or are you able to just go when you like - I am jealous cause would love more leave time? Tell me your secret.

Regards,

Babs

Hi Babs,

No secret, My husband gets 4 weeks paid holiday a year so we make use of them! He also gets extra days if he works a weekend. I do work for myself as a mobile hairdresser, done it for 20 years but the past 3 years I have cut back to 4 days a week so its easier to take time off, at one time I hardly dare take a week off but I found you are no better thought of if you are always there at everyones beck and call!

Speedwell

Thats so true regarding the Celebrity/RCI cruises.The Americans really can't loose when they book a cruise with refundable deposits and knowing if the price drops they will lower it. We sometimes book with a US travel agent if its a better deal., although they don't discount like many TA's over here but with the exchange rate its worth considering!

Wonderful picture.......I could sit there for hours (Oi Butler get up off your fat lazy backside and get my Earl Grey) on the other hand............................

Thanks Abbafan

I shall be in that cabin on 25th Jan 2008. Did you keep the door open with anything? Or, as we normally do, just keep shutting it when on the balcony?

KimmyUK:) :) :) :) :)

Hi All

We've just booked an aft cabin - C184 for the Southampton to Melbourne trip in 2009. We've never travelled with P & O before and have just read a really bad review of the ship and are now panicing. Can anyone allay our fears?

Hi All

We've just booked an aft cabin - C184 for the Southampton to Melbourne trip in 2009. We've never travelled with P & O before and have just read a really bad review of the ship and are now panicing. Can anyone allay our fears?

JeanBart,

Stop panicking.

Arcadia is a lovely ship with many followers. She got a bad press from a few people who took against her from the start but they are far outweighed by the thousands who love her.

Do you have any specifics?

There are 12 reviews on this site and 11 are very good to excellent and 1 is bad and the person reviewing would not put their name to it and it is 18 month old.

My review is here:-

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=22936

Which reminds me I never did get round to part 2.

Remember to ask specific questions or raise concerns.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Jean

Here is a photo album with loads of photos of ARCADIA - she is a beauty, and the food is good too.

I cruised to Canaries on her last year and Med this, and will be on her again in May for the 16n Venice cruise.

go to this website link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AllAboutArcadia

Sue:D

Thank you so much Sue & DaiB

I've really enjoyed looking through both your photos & the ship looks lovely. I really enjoyed reading your review DaiB and look forward to reading part 2.

We're fairly new to cruising, 3 so far, but love it. Due to work commitments until now we've only made last minute bookings, normally a few weeks. This time 2009 seems a long long way away, and it's a long time to be onboard (48 days) if we don't like the ship. We sail from Australia to Europe on the new Cunard Queen Victoria in Feb 08, again a last minute cancellation got us our cabin and are looking forward to that.

Hello Abbafan,

It would be very helpful if I knew whether there was only a bath in this cabin on board Arcadia. My DH only showers, so I shall have think ahead on this one if there is only a bath. Received our excursion book today. We are flying out to New Orleans. Does anyone know where we dock and if the tourist area is within walking distance?

Help needed!

Many thanks,

KimmyUK:confused:

Hi hope you don't mind me pipping here but all those cabins have a 3/4 size bath which also emcompass a shower facility over one end of the bath so you do have the choice.

Not really the size of bath for lounging in if you get my drift but you do get the choice if this helps.

Regards,

Barbarella

Archived