Port Excursions

dynarider

I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide on different excursions for our POH cruise in November 07. Decided to go back and re-read some members reveiws, ran across one from Joyce April 2007, she says "at each port there are ample free shuttles that will take you shopping or to rent a car, or to sell you a private excursion, so you don't really need to plan ahead"........ IS THIS TRUE?

I totally understand if there is something I really have my heart set on I should book it, but what if I want to play it by ear, will waiting until you are there work?

When I was in Hawaii 12 years ago, I recall Hilo Hattie's free shuttles that take you to their store. And they are usually pretty centrally located. I think there are some buses with low fares that you can take to some beaches.

Some things do sell out early depending on the type of excursion. It just depends on what you want to do. Dolphin encounters, helicopter tours, and some shows (especially Warren & Annabel's magic show at Maui) may be hard to get at the last minute.

Happy cruising,

Suzy

I totally understand if there is something I really have my heart set on I should book it, but what if I want to play it by ear, will waiting until you are there work?

I believe it is certainly possible to just play it by ear, but my OCD personality wouldn't allow me to do so.

My only point might be that when you don't have things planned in advance, you do tend to waste quite a bit of time deciding what it is that you actually want to do. With the limited amount of time spent in port, that wasted time could be the difference between having enough time to do what you decided and not do it.

From all I read if you plan to rent a car do that ahead of time. Use a company that does not charge ahead and then if you feel like it you can cancell. I have read the price is higher and sometimes cars are not available if you wait.

From all I read if you plan to rent a car do that ahead of time. Use a company that does not charge ahead and then if you feel like it you can cancell. I have read the price is higher and sometimes cars are not available if you wait.

Correct. If you want to rent a car, do it in advance. They sometimes sell out well in advance, especially during busy times. (Remember that there are thousands of land visitors on the islands all year and you are competing with them for a finite number of cars.) In some ports, the rental company shuttle drivers have lists of pax who have reservations with that company and will only take those pax on the shuttle. Plus, walk up car rental rates in Hawaii are usually pretty high, much higher than you can find by booking in advance. There are more reasons to rent in advance, but I think you get the idea.

beachchick

Thanks all. I took all your advice and I have schedule some tours and rental cars.

One more thing, we will be celebrating our anniversary on Nov 15 and my husband's BD on Nov 16... would you give me ideas of anything that you think is drop dead spectacular for Maui on the 15th and Kona on the 16th. Drives, tours, restruarants, etc.

Now, the excitement of the cruise is kicking in. 28 days until we are in Honolulu and 30 days until our ship sets sail!

Archived