Island time vs Ship Time

2Okies

We will be sailing from Galveston on the Conquest the end of October. I've read that some people actually miss their (non-Carnival) excursions because they didn't pay attention to the ship being on a different time than Cayman (or Jamaica?) because of daylight savings and a different time zone.

We have an excursion planned with Moby Dick in Cayman, and don't want to miss our excursion (especially since we also have to tender over) just because of a time difference misunderstanding. We have the confirmation from Moby Dick concerning the time - but how do we know if they match what the ships time is?

This may be a dumb question for some of you expert cruisers - but we just don't want to mess up!

Thanks for any input into this dilemma!:p

Since we don't set our clocks back until Nov. 4th this year, your ship time and island time should be the same. It's now 5:55 in the Midwest, and it's the same time in Grand Cayman. So if you're in GC before the 4th, and your ship is sailing from the central time zone, ship time and island time should be the same. Same goes with Jamaica.

Thanks, that helps!

If you really have any concerns at all, I'm sure the folks at MD will help you with the time issue. All the years I've been reading here, I don't really recall anyone posting that the excursion company they used got them back to the port too late to make their ship. These companies know exactly what time (ship or island) the ships are in port.

Our first time there, we were on a ship (the Triumph). We had the same concerns that you did. We were there on New Year's Day, and ship time and island time were the same (we sailed out of Miami). To me, that made all the difference in the world. When we were in Cozumel, ship time and island time was an hour off, and there were many people running for the ship there (but I think there was a lot of booze playing into that deal..lol).

If you are also visiting Cozumel, then ship time and island time will be the same for you. Making tour arrangements is a lot easier when there's no time difference.

People have missed the ship, but it was because they were the ones who didn't keep track of the time. When we're on the island, we have dinner at Breezes a couple of nights and watch the last of the ships leave. There are always a few people running for the tender gate.

Have a great time! We love Grand Cayman. It's our favorite island. :)

Archived