Disembarkation process

We will be on our first cruise in Feb 2008 and want to know how dismbarkation works. Is there any advantage to taking our own luggage off? How long of a process is this?

We would be more than willing to take our own luggage off if it saves us time waiting--Do we need to let RCI know if we decide to do this? Any information would be appreciated!!

If you want to take your own luggage off the ship, you can tell them that ahead of time (I think they mention it in the Cruise Compass and/or on the sheet they leave in your room a day or two before disembarking). But keep in mind you have to drag your stuff up and down the elevators, down the gangplank, possibly up and down stairs, etc.,. So I'd only do it if you have light bags.

As for the disembarkation process... there's definitely a wait, unless you're in the first group called off the ship (usually people with airport transfers purchased through RCCL who have early flights). Once you're called, you then have to go into the terminal and play "Find The Luggage", which is easy in some ports (like in Barcelona where we just were, where they use an airport conveyor) and not so easy in other ports (like Fort Lauderdale, where they simply piled bags in different areas and you had to hunt around like it was a day-after-Christmas sale at the local department store).

So, if you can carry your own bags, it'll definitely save you an hour getting off the ship and the hassle of hunting for your luggage... and if you're catching a cab you can get one a lot quicker, usually.

If you have a flight you have to wait somewhere. I find the chairs on the ship are more comfortable and the coffee and danish is free. You can tote your own bags but sooner or later you still have to go thru customs and immigrations with the luggage. If they take it off you'll have to find it. Depending on the port some have system similiar to airports others just a big warehouse.

On our recent Radiance Alaska cruise that started in Vancouver and ended in LA (San Pedro).........debarkation was supposed to start at 7:30 and that was for those folks that were walking off with their luggage.

Debarkation actually started at 9:00. Until the ship is cleared by Customs and Immigration and all accounts have been settled...........no way leaves the ship..........and this is true of every port.

You have to be able to CARRY your luggage (no rolling), and some ports are now turning people back if they have an excess of luggage. We have also found that some ports don't allow it (:mad:).

If you have little to carry (i.e., you have a small rollaboard, a tote and a purse), you'll probably be fine. But if you have more than that they can send you back, or make you wait in a forever line at the elevator.

You have the opportunity to request an early disembarkation time (by responding to the questionnaire mid-week). You can then have a leisurely final breakfast on board the ship and not have to haul all of your stuff off the ship and down to the baggage area.

I just did the self disembarkation on Majesty and everyone I saw who did this including me had rolling suitcases. I saw several families with small children ,all rolling their own bags without problem. It was no hardship at all.

I could have got off the ship at 0645 but left at 0720. I got an elevator after a couple of minutes, walked straight down to Customs, max 30 secs there and straight out to taxi. I'll never bother with any other method from now on.

We also did this on Freedom and it was painless.:)

Water- Baby - Does anyone CARRY suitcases any more?

Water- Baby - Does anyone CARRY suitcases any more?

Depending on the port, you may have to lift and carry your rollaboards for a distance ... like down an escalator. I know, everyone has rollaboards, but at some ports (like Canaveral), the little ladies are extremely adamant about this!

I considered self-disebarkation when we were on Enchantment a couple weeks ago. I'd heard all kinds of stories of people who missed their planes. I had to get home. But two nights before we got back to Ft. Lauderdale, the Cruise Compass said that anyone with an early flight could get an early color code. My flight wasn't that early (12:30), but I went to the Service Desk anyway & they gave us the first color to be called. We still had plenty of time to eat breakfast. I think they began disembarkation around 8:15. We were at the airport by 9am.

Depending on the port, you may have to lift and carry your rollaboards for a distance ... like down an escalator. I know, everyone has rollaboards, but at some ports (like Canaveral), the little ladies are extremely adamant about this!

Each time I have done this, as I approached the escalators they had staff standing there- if you had one free hand you could use the escalators, if you were pulling your wheelie luggage and both hands were occupied you had to take the elevator- which is where I was headed anyway.

Try it next time, :) it's really easier and it seems a lot more relaxed to have your cases and just toss your last minute stuff in that morning, rather than having to pack the night before and keep out a separate bag.....

We have purchased carry-on sized back packs from ebags. They are terrific. No more checking luggage at the airport and very easy to walk off the ship. Highly recommend them.

Also keeps me from over packing. :rolleyes:

We were on the RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, September 29 - October 6, and we were scheduled for disembarkation at 7:45am.. we did not get off until almost 9:00am and that was with them taking care of our luggage etc. Our friends did their own and carried their luggage with them and if I had to do it again, I would do it that way.. They were off first and on their way, we were held on the ship until the time we said. Then we got into the port, our luggage was not there, thankfully one of the porters asked us what our luggage looked like, went in the back and brought it out and we were on our way with the van we had hired.....he definitely got tipped well as we had to get to the airport and catch a plane back to the States..

I hope that helped...

Archived