changing money

nurseblissful

We usually bring some Euros with us. I can request them online from my bank and they send them to my house via Fed Ex.

What type of currency are you looking at needing?

The exchange rate for Euros on the ship is not good - if we need more, we usually use an ATM card to get more.

In Dubrovnik, we needed some local currency and I just got $20 from the ATM for bottled waters...

Lauri -

You'd do much better to get them here in advance. :) As I mentioned, you can also get them in many places, airports typically don't offer the best exchange rates though.

In Rome, I went to an Amex office and cashed some US traveller's checks for Euros, the Amex office was quite easy to find and I got a decent rate too. Also, most (but not all) hotels can exchange or cash traveller's checks. :)

Unless you have an AMEX card, you'll find the best exchange rates at your bank.

Avoid airports and cruise ships. The rates are way too high.

Bank ATMs are good. Avoid all others like the plague. If you don't have a bank ATM card, get one before you leave. You have to keep it active, so be sure to use it a few times before going abroad.

If you only need a few dollars for small purchases, tips, etc then don't trouble with a bank card. Take a small anount of Euros and use your credit cards for most purchases. The credit card rate will be good, but most charge a 3% fee.

It's important to give advance notice to both your bank (assuming you use their bank card) and credit card companies when and what area(s) you'll be traveling.

We had a foreign exchange office in Las Vegas, and I used them extensively. Their rates were very good. But now I'm looking, too. Is there a Thomas Cook office near Norfolk? ATMs are good, and I have used them a lot in Europe. But, like ekerr19, I like to take some currencies with me for use until I find an ATM.

Before I left on my cruise to Alaska (Vancouver, B.C. embarkment) I contacted my Wells Fargo Bank. I ordered a couple of hundred US dollars worth of Canadian dollars just in case we needed it for cab fare, small purchases, tips, etc. I picked them up at the local bank branch. If they charge the exchange to your credit card it takes less time to order (mine took about 3 days).

Jim -

The other day, I did our on line immigration forms for our 12/2 cruise... tucked inside Sonny's passport case, I found $300 Euros - his "emergency" stash from last summer! Talk about a nice find. :)

Before I left on my cruise to Alaska (Vancouver, B.C. embarkment) I contacted my Wells Fargo Bank. I ordered a couple of hundred US dollars worth of Canadian dollars just in case we needed it for cab fare, small purchases, tips, etc. I picked them up at the local bank branch. If they charge the exchange to your credit card it takes less time to order (mine took about 3 days).

All Banks in Canada and most store exchange US dollars. At the Banks they charge a 2 cent fee per dollar, not bad.

Today for one USA dollars you get about .97 cents

What about pesos? Same thing, bank ATM? Won't be using much, or is it easier to use U.S. $?

We use U.S. dollars in Mexico. Most vendors prefer them anyway, but it's always best to ask first.

You can get pesos from ATM's...

... Bank ATMs are good. Avoid all others like the plague. If you don't have a bank ATM card, get one before you leave. ...

Good advice. Your bank may even have a relationship with a European bank that will allow you to use that bank's ATMs without incurring any fees.

Just one thing to add - some US banks allow you to have a PIN that is more than 4 characters and/or has letters in it. European ATMs do not have letters on the buttons, and generally only accept 4-character PINs. So if your PIN is longer than 4 characters, and/or you use letters to remember it, you need to change it, and/or memorize the numerical equivalent, before you leave.

European ATMs do not have letters on the buttons, and generally only accept 4-character PINs. So if your PIN is longer than 4 characters, and/or you use letters to remember it, you need to change it, and/or memorize the numerical equivalent, before you leave.

Excellent point! I got an ATM card with an eight digit pin and thought "how the heck am I supposed to remember that???" Four digits is hard enough, lol!!!! :eek:

Jim: who did you use in Las Vegas to convert currency? I have found the local banks to be very difficult to use -requires special orders, etc.

I have 160 E and some change left over from our last Europe adventure. It's been a decent "investment" of late! :rolleyes:

We have booked several private tours for our forthcoming E. Med cruise (on the Millenium) and except for the one in Istanbul, they all prefer to be paid in Euros nowadays.

In addition to all the suggestions given above: most shops in the tourist areas of European cities will happily accept $US, and give you change in local currency. In fact, that's a very convenient way to get a small amout of local currency - buy a small souvenir with a $20 bill.

Some posters here will tell you that you "won't get a good exchange rate" that way, and that's probably true - but I've long ago stopped worrying about the money lost in exchanges, since it is such a trivial part of the overall cost of the entire trip! :)

If you end up you cruise with some left-over Euros and plan to give extra cash tips to your stewards, use the Euros rather than exchanging them back to $US. At today's low value of the dollar they probably would prefer the Euros, and you don't pay the exchange penalty.

Once, in Arhus Demark, there was a tent area set up on the dock selling varoius local crafts and souvenirs that had four cash boxes, for $US, GB Pounds, Euros, and Danish Kroners. You got your change back in whatever currency you gave them! I thought that was a great set-up! (All items were marked in all four prices, too.)

Has anyone been to Guadeloupe? I've been advised that taxi drivers and locals with boats will accept US currency.

Has that been your experience?

We've never been there, but I would bet big money that most vendors would take $US.

We have a small amount of euros left from other trips, we never exchange back to USD, but we always just use ATM machines.

We tend to travel "local" and when using public transportation or getting gelato or a quick snack we don't even try to use USD, although we have heard that when you do use USD in touristy shops you will take a hit on the exchange rate.

Next trip we're going to Turkey and Egypt and have heard that in the bazaars either USD or Euros are ok--and given the state of the dollar it is better to pay in USD.

The first time we went back after the euro we just hit the ATM at the airport---no problem.

We have a small amount of euros left from other trips, we never exchange back to USD, but we always just use ATM machines.

We tend to travel "local" and when using public transportation or getting gelato or a quick snack we don't even try to use USD, although we have heard that when you do use USD in touristy shops you will take a hit on the exchange rate.

Next trip we're going to Turkey and Egypt and have heard that in the bazaars either USD or Euros are ok--and given the state of the dollar it is better to pay in USD.

The first time we went back after the euro we just hit the ATM at the airport---no problem.

Most merchants at the Turkish bazaar we went to (in Kusadasi) would take any currency last summer - but preferred Euros, as they were worth more. We always asked first - if they took dollars, we tended to use them first. The upscale shops would only take Euros (again, our own experience last summer).

Be totally prepared to barter - something that turned DH & DS off totally.

Thanks for the first hand info. Already know about the custom of bartering--we'll be in Izmir in Feb so we will be sure to have more euros than dollars since there may not be many American tourists...therefore less acceptance USD.

So OP...be sure to ask on ports boards or if there is a local forum on tripadvisor, ask someone who lives there (a local expert). We NEVER assume that USD will be accepted---even traveling off the beaten track in Canada we've been in situations where only Canadian money was accepted. How lucky you are to be planning a wonderful trip!!

HSBC bank has ATMs in many countries and we use our debit card to get our own money in the foreign currency we need. Most credit cards charge extra fees for foreign transactions, so we try to avoid using them overseas.

Getting foreign currency in the US or in foreign hotels and exchange booths, generally is a costly deal. We never exchange foreign money back to US - you lose again - thus we almost always have some euros on hand. If we happen to have extra of another currency and don't think we'll be back we use it up at the airport "duty free" shop.

Archived