Itinerary

jks9103

First time cruiser here. On Royal's website it states itineraries may change without notice. Does that mean that the times you arrive and depart from a port may change, or you may end up going to a different port due to weather or something? How often does this happen? And has anyone every had this happen to them? I'm not worried about this or anything, just wondering...

First time cruiser here. On Royal's website it states itineraries may change without notice. Does that mean that the times you arrive and depart from a port may change, or you may end up going to a different port due to weather or something? How often does this happen? And has anyone every had this happen to them? I'm not worried about this or anything, just wondering...

Yes, this can and does happen...This past Dec. we were supposed to go to Coco Cay, but when we got to Port Canaveral we were told that because of high winds the ship would be going to San Juan instead which was a welcome change...Arriving late to a port can also be a possibility but does not happen frequently, go with an open mind and just enjoy the cruise...Later, Jill:cool:

A ship does change itineraries from time to time due to weather conditions and in very rare cases other issues such as problems with the ship.

For the most part, you will arrive as scheduled in your ports.

On my last cruise we were 3 days behind Hurricane Dean and while other ships missed their ports we stayed on schedule and had quiet days in Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

It happens frequently. Tha's why you have to be prepared to go with the flow.

I've missed Grand Cayman and Cancun due to weather issues.

If you miss a port and you end up with an extra sea day, expect your port fees back, but that is all.

It happens frequently. Tha's why you have to be prepared to go with the flow.

I've missed Grand Cayman and Cancun due to weather issues.

If you miss a port and you end up with an extra sea day, expect your port fees back, but that is all.

We were on the Explorer last week and missed Saint John, NB due to heavy fog and strong currents. Someone on the ship asked about refunded port fees, and was told no - seems like we should have gotten something, but not enough that it was worth worrying about. They scurried and added a number of additional activities, and put out a supplemental Compass.

I have NO problem with canceling ports due to safety issues, and it is rather common during hurricane season to have port changes in the Caribbean [resulting in either different ports or additional sea days]. I would have a problem if they insisted on sailing into a hurricane just to make a scheduled port.

I have also missed a port on a Celebrity M-ship, due to a recurrent mechanical problem, and we were compensated $400 per inside cabin [more I think on some higher priced cabins]. Having been to that port before I was more than happy to take the money. Seems fair enough that they did compensate for a problem they were aware of, but not for safety related to acts of nature.

Has happened to me a few times, from port changes and time changes several month before sail date to completely missed ports during the cruise, changed times in port during the cruise, ports shuffeled around during the week and substituted ports for others that were missed.

So yes it´s something that happens all the time for many reasons.

Archived