Where to Find Stingrays in West Carrib?

browniegirl

Hi there, we are on the Norw. Sun in January doing the western carribean, Roatan, Cozumel, Belize. My husband really wants to snorkel and see stingrays, so I am hoping we can find a great excursion, any suggestions at these places?

Thanks!

Browniegirl:D

There is a great excursion in Belize to what is called Shark Ray Alley. You'll be taken by small boats to the reef and get to swim in fairly shallow water with both Sharks and Rays (hence the name:p ). The Sharks are Nurse Sharks, not aggressive, but still worth a bit of Adrenaline when you first see them. The Rays are plentiful. It's not set up like Grand Cayman where you sort of pet the Rays, but you'll be very close, and may touch them. It's deep enough that you won't have to worry about stepping on them, and not so crowded that everything and everyone is all bunched up together. We've done a lot of snorkeling, and this was one of my favorite trips.

Cozumel is as good a spot as any to see them right off the shore. My kiddo saw quite a few snorkeling near shore between his deep dives.

Hi there, we are on the Norw. Sun in January doing the western carribean, Roatan, Cozumel, Belize. My husband really wants to snorkel and see stingrays, so I am hoping we can find a great excursion, any suggestions at these places?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Hi,

I second Shark Ray Alley. But you might pre-register on-line if possible as this excursion was filled last time we got on the ship (and the excursion desk was the first place we went).

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, I booked the shark ray alley excursion thru NCL yesterday, thanks to your advice. I am sure it will be an absolute blast and it is exactly what we are looking for.......well maybe not the sharks.....:confused: .....I'm a big chicken and ever since Jaws came out a million years ago, well, pools have been a source of comfort for me.....tee hee....

Can't wait!!!!!!!

Browniegirl:D :D

hi all, just doing a quick survey, we have booked our shark ray alley snorkel thru NCL at $104 per person. The Coral Breezes is $75 per person, both include lunch, NCL tour is roughly 8 hrs, coral's is roughly 5 hours.... Any suggestions about which would be best????? Thanks!!!!!

Browniegirl:)

I've only taken the NCL trip. Think of it as sort of an insurance policy when you take a shore excursion arranged by the cruise line. It's usually more expensive BUT if you for some reason you are delayed on a tour booked through the ship they will wait for you. Not the case on a trip you book yourself. Also, if your cruise is late getting into port or cancels a stop you can get a refund onboard ship for their excursions. That might not happen with an independent tour. Most independent tour operators are legitimate.

hi all, just doing a quick survey, we have booked our shark ray alley snorkel thru NCL at $104 per person. The Coral Breezes is $75 per person, both include lunch, NCL tour is roughly 8 hrs, coral's is roughly 5 hours.... Any suggestions about which would be best????? Thanks!!!!!

Browniegirl:)

I logged on too late to warn you! But if you can cancel the trip thru the cruise line.

I booked with Coral Breeze, and I am sure we'd have had a great time if his boat hadnt broke down that week. But!!!

They did refer us to another operator right there at the pier in Belize. Shark/Ray alley was great and we also went to Caye Caulker great trip, personal service too !!!

Archived