What are good buys??

Mathteach

First time to the Mexican Reviera. I like to shop. :)

• What are things that are good deals (ie Cheap) :D in Cabo, PV or Mazatlan?
  • Is there any thing that is unique to the area? Like in Alaska the Ulu knives?
  • Do you have any favorite shopping areas or markets?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I have not seen any of this posted.

Mathteach

in puerto vallarta theres an outdoor flea market right where the ship docks , you will see it . right in front of you

I got a lot of good deals there on masks, shot glasses,. silver etc.

in mazatlan the golden zone is the best area to go to many places to shop,

between the buildings theres like an outdoor market in that area.

if you take a cab, just tell them to take you to the golden zone

they also have shell city !!! great deals

shark tooth necklaces for like 3$

Have fun

Vanilla (make sure it's the real kind)

Kaluha (cheap and made in Mexico)

Blankets (we use them in our trailer for the dogs to sleep on and they wash great)

Katrina Dolls (mexican day of the dead.) There is an artisan shop right at the start of the Golden Zone in Maz. They had beautiful ones when we were there on a land based holiday two years ago. I hope they still have them, I'm planning on buying a couple on this trip

Non-silver jewellery-great prices and lots of fun styles, stones etc. Most of the silver you will get at a flea market style of market will turn color on you. The best silver comes from stores which are usually air conditioned and sell the silver items by weight and usually aren't all that easy to haggle with on cruise ship days. Sometimes not any cheaper than at home.

Mazatlan has the best prices I've found on just about anything....

We loved the shopping area in PV back at the end of the Malecon - not sure what it is called, but go past the Hooters Restaurant, and there is a rickety bridge that crosses a creek - the prices there are better than along the Malecon, and there is a huge selection.

Cabo is probably the most expensive (most Americanized) - not the place for bargains, but a great town to have fun in! :)

Katrina Dolls (mexican day of the dead.) There is an artisan shop right at the start of the Golden Zone in Maz. They had beautiful ones when we were there on a land based holiday two years ago. I hope they still have them, I'm planning on buying a couple on this trip

If you are into Dia de los Muertos items, then check out the shop directly across the street (Hildalgo) from Pancho's restaurant here in Cabo. It is half a block off the marina boulevard across from the Tesero...an easy walk from the pier! Tons of Katrinas, cajitas, figuras, papel picados, and more!

Thanks for all the great info! We are going the last week in November and maybe we can get some Christmas shopping done!:)

Then stop in Tequila Treasures in GaliPlaza at the pier to pick up some mini bottles of Ancestra tequila as office gifts or stocking stuffers! Unique and only available in Mexico!

We always shop for leather goods, cheap "silver" costume jewelry and "art"...

We always buy Kahlua and/or Tequila...

My favorite items I've bought in Mexico were:

--an onyx/stone/abalone mask in Mazatlan. The shopping hostess on the ship showed us one and I thought it was cool...She said we could buy one like it at one of the "recommended shops" for about $75-80...We looked and decided it was too much to spend...We then walked around the corner to an "unrecommended" shop...The guy had the SAME, EXACT merchandise--same size, same quality...but a better selection...I was looking at one and the shopkeeper came up and said "I take it you have been looking at these and know what people are charging. I will give you a good price...but, cash, no haggling...TWENTY DOLLARS, your choice..." I whipped out my wallet and bought one for $20 on the spot...love it...years later, it's still on display in our living room...

--three ironwood carved bears. 8 inches (measured nose to tail), 5 inches and 3 inches...Each bought in Cabo San Lucas at the flea market next to the tender pier on three different cruises. I absolutely love these and none were very expensive at all after a little haggling. They sit on my desk at my office and are my absolute prized office decor possessions (being a Bruin and all...)...

Archived