BEACH Snorkeling at Cabo

werchy

Is there any snorkeling from a beach besides Lover's beach, where there are restaurants, bars, etc. We would like to hang out on the beach, eat some great mexican or seafood, have some awesome margaritas, and then be able to snorkel on our own off and on all day.

I guess what we are looking or is something similar to chakanab park in Cozumel, lots of little restaurants, snorkeling, drinks, laying out on the beach, etc,.... but all on your own time and for as long as you wish. Any place like this in cabo?

We definetely want to snorkel, but we don't want to feel rushed or feel like we are with huge mobs of people. or on a 60 pax catamaran.

thanks,

melissa

Sorry, but I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in Cabo. The two best snorkeling beaches are Bahia Chileno and Playa Santa Maria; both are a ten minute drive outside of town and there are no restaurants/bars at either location. For restaurants/bars on the beach, there is Playa Medano, but there is no snorkeling. If snorkeling is your priority, head for Bahia Chileno; snorkel off the rocks on the west side of the bay. Buenas Suerte.

thanks for the reply. I think we may do one of the tours, booked on our own, not through the ship. There is one company that offers snorkeling, full fajita lunch on the boat and drinks. the only downside is that there isn't much time to snorkel and of course, you have to be on someone elses schedule. But, we most definetely want to snorkel, so this may be our best bet.

Out of PV, mazatlan or Cabo, would you say that cabo has the best snorkeling?

thanks again.

melissa

Without question, in my opinion, Cabo will be your best bet. Having said that, if you have snorkeled the Caribbean, Yucatan or Hawaii, you might be disappointed, even in Cabo. There will be fish to see, but not the quantity, variety and beauty found at the above listed locations.

thanks for the reply. I think we may do one of the tours, booked on our own, not through the ship. There is one company that offers snorkeling, full fajita lunch on the boat and drinks. the only downside is that there isn't much time to snorkel and of course, you have to be on someone elses schedule. But, we most definetely want to snorkel, so this may be our best bet.

Out of PV, mazatlan or Cabo, would you say that cabo has the best snorkeling?

thanks again.

melissa

sceneisle has it just right on the snorkeling locations. The only thing I'd add is that except for Cabo Pulmo, I like snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta more than Cabo - with a caveat...only if you're an experienced snorkeler. The water is bluer and calmer in Cabo than in Puerto Vallarta's Marietas Islands or Los Arcos, and often clearer too - all of which make much better snorkeling conditions for a novice or beginner snorkeler. However, I've found that there is a lot wider variety of marine life to see in Puerto Vallarta, which I really appreciate, and in the summer months particularly the visibility can be very good. Of course, the downside is that the water is green instead of blue, and in the winter after a good rain, the visibility can drop considerably...also the water at the Marietas, Los Arcos and Majahuitas can be rough sometimes when you get in close to the rocks where the best snorkeling is, and away from the rocks, the bottom is deeper, so in the winter it's harder to see the life below you.

In Puerto Vallarta, it's not at all uncommon to see a spotted eagle ray, manta ray, sea turtle, sea horse, octopus, or other exciting sea life, where as in Cabo it's mostly a dozen or so species of tropical fish. I guess it just depends what type of snorkeler you are.

You will not find a place like Chankanaab Park in Los Cabos, I'm sorry to say.

Hope this helps, have a great time!

thanks for the info. I think we are planning on doing the canopy tour in PV, and would rather snorkel in cabo. I've been looking at your website. which of your snorkeling tours has the fewest people on the boat and for how long do you get to snorkel? we are going to be in port on Oct 29 from the Oosterdam, and noticed that we will be one of four ships in that day. and one final question do you offer drinks or snacks? thanks again for all the info. :)

thanks for the info. I think we are planning on doing the canopy tour in PV, and would rather snorkel in cabo. I've been looking at your website. which of your snorkeling tours has the fewest people on the boat and for how long do you get to snorkel? we are going to be in port on Oct 29 from the Oosterdam, and noticed that we will be one of four ships in that day. and one final question do you offer drinks or snacks? thanks again for all the info. :)

Hi Werchy,

You'll have a good time snorkeling in Cabo - the water is very warm in late October (above 80 degrees), and clarity is very good. :)

I'm sorry, but in the independent spirit of the forum, travel professionals are not permitted to engage in specific questions about their services here. It would be against forum policies - only general information about the ports of the Mexican Riviera is acceptable. I hope you understand.

I'm sorry, but in the independent spirit of the forum, travel professionals are not permitted to engage in specific questions about their services here. It would be against forum policies - only general information about the ports of the Mexican Riviera is acceptable. I hope you understand.

Thank you for being so helpful on these boards.

Can you take a taxi or bus to Majahuitas or Yelapa? Do you know the approximate cost?

Without question, in my opinion, Cabo will be your best bet. Having said that, if you have snorkeled the Caribbean, Yucatan or Hawaii, you might be disappointed, even in Cabo. There will be fish to see, but not the quantity, variety and beauty found at the above listed locations.

I totally agree! We have snorkled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii and nothing in Mexico even comes close (except maybe Cosumel and Las Gatas in Ixtapa). Please don't get me wrong, I love Cabo, my SIS has a timeshare there and we will be spending Christmas week there. It just isn't the best place for snorkling. We have found the water there to be too cold and too rough most of the time. My advice would be to not pay a great deal of money through a ship tour and be disappointed.:eek: I'm sorry to be discouraging but we have been disappointed with snorkling in Cabo too many times! I'm not saying not to give it a shot...just don't have real high expectations.

Archived