My MoneyMaking Idea#1

sagiv666

My wife and I just returned on a marvelous cruise aboard the Radiance, and like most of few, flew back to our own home. At our final meals I was thinking: Why can't the ship prepare a doggy bag with food to take on land -- cleared with customs and with the Royal Caribbean logo. That way, when we are on the plane and everyone else is eating their peanuts, we can tweak our noses at them and at the crew, while enjoying :D some sumptuous delicacies form the ship.

Royal Caribbean can charge for this extra treat, but I certainly wouldn't mind paying, as long as the price is reasonable. So they end up a little richer than they already are, and we are just a little happier.

My wife and I just returned on a marvelous cruise aboard the Radiance, and like most of few, flew back to our own home. At our final meals I was thinking: Why can't the ship prepare a doggy bag with food to take on land -- cleared with customs and with the Royal Caribbean logo. That way, when we are on the plane and everyone else is eating their peanuts, we can tweak our noses at them and at the crew, while enjoying :D some sumptuous delicacies form the ship.

Royal Caribbean can charge for this extra treat, but I certainly wouldn't mind paying, as long as the price is reasonable. So they end up a little richer than they already are, and we are just a little happier.

"sumptuous delicacies" is that what you really thought of the food on the ship. I know everyone has different taste but I have never thought of RCCL food as delicacies. You live in NYC and I know you have the opportunities to some of the best eats any where in the country and you call the ship food "sumptuous delicacies" I don't get it

Pretty easy it´s not allowed to bring food into the country.

"sumptuous delicacies" is that what you really thought of the food on the ship. I know everyone has different taste but I have never thought of RCCL food as delicacies. You live in NYC and I know you have the opportunities to some of the best eats any where in the country and you call the ship food "sumptuous delicacies" I don't get it

We cruised on the Radiance last month, and everyone raved about the food; in addition, we had a fantastic Gala Buffet. In New York, we have eaten at different restaurants of different cuisines, and the only thing we missed was a really good steak -- we didn't go to some of the specialty restaurants; perhaps I could have gotten my steak. Otherwise, be it the dining room, the Windjammer buffet, or any other buffets, etc. we enjoyed the food.

What ship (or ships) have you cruised on? This was not a first-time cruise for us, and we have cruised with other lines as well. We never had any complaints about the food, which in quality as well as quantity, matched any good restaurant where we live.:)

We cruised on the Radiance last month, and everyone raved about the food; in addition, we had a fantastic Gala Buffet. In New York, we have eaten at different restaurants of different cuisines, and the only thing we missed was a really good steak -- we didn't go to some of the specialty restaurants; perhaps I could have gotten my steak. Otherwise, be it the dining room, the Windjammer buffet, or any other buffets, etc. we enjoyed the food.

What ship (or ships) have you cruised on? This was not a first-time cruise for us, and we have cruised with other lines as well. We never had any complaints about the food, which in quality as well as quantity, matched any good restaurant where we live.:)

I have sailed on Norwegian cruise lines on my honeymoon 21 years ago and remember people raving about the food. My husband and I were not impressed with the quality but were blown away by the quantity. We felt the quality on the Voyager, and Adventure was somewhat similar but again. Not anything what we would call sumptuous delicacies, it was fine but I would not rave about it. I had also eaten in Portofinos on our last cruise and would not pay the very low price of $20.00 to eat there again, I did not find it far more superior to the dining room. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about the food, just don't think it is as good as some people seem to feel. And I am sure you eat at some of the same restaurants in the city we do.

Not allowed to bring food off? Than why did weren't our rum cakes confiscated? ;) The food law pertains to agriculture brought in from other countries, not "doggie bags" of food from the ships dining room.

I guess I should have specified non-prepackaged food is NOT allowed off the ship. Besides wouldn't the rum kill anything bad in the cakes? :D

you call the ship food "sumptuous delicacies" I don't get it

This is exactly what I was thinking. Many times the day of disembarking a cruise we eat at a nice restaurant to have a better meal. Or, we really enjoy home cooking for a few days, until I rebel ;) .

I don't hate cruise ship food, I certainly don't go hungry, but to think of it as sumptuous or delicacy makes me think people must not eat very good food at home or go to anything but fast food restaurants.

I'm still waiting to see how this makes money for someone. As far as the cruise line, I don't think it would benefit them as a sort of advertisement either.

The food that sells some people on a cruise would be of the lobster and baked Alaska variant. Unless you're thinking of toting off a sandwich and potato chips, the food that would scream "awesome cruise food" wouldn't exactly be a great or even edible meal.

On the other hand, it would be interesting if they made people haul off their half eaten meals. I know the ships have a waste management system that's more efficient (I think it feeds the fishes), but it might encourage people to not eat with their eyes next time aboard.

I had heard that you could not take any food off the ship. However.....while in Alaska....at breakfast we took some bagles, smoked salmon, cream cheese and bananas and had a little picnic in Sitka:D We did it again when we left the cruise to take the train to Anchorage and at it on the train:D We were very sneaky about it in Windjammer (we had little plastic baggies). Hid them under our coat. I think the waiters knew, but they don't care:) The only problem was we also took a knife to spread the cream cheese and then could not take it back to the ship because the alarm would go off:eek: So we had to throw the knife away.:rolleyes:

Poor stolen knife. :(

I can see that packing a lunch IS a useful thing, but a doggie bag to show off cruise food... bleah.

Well, maybe what was really meant was showing off the cruise food compared to the stupid snacks you have to BUY on airlines nowadays;)

I had heard that you could not take any food off the ship. However.....while in Alaska....at breakfast we took some bagles, smoked salmon, cream cheese and bananas and had a little picnic in Sitka:D We did it again when we left the cruise to take the train to Anchorage and at it on the train:D We were very sneaky about it in Windjammer (we had little plastic baggies). Hid them under our coat. I think the waiters knew, but they don't care:) The only problem was we also took a knife to spread the cream cheese and then could not take it back to the ship because the alarm would go off:eek: So we had to throw the knife away.:rolleyes:

I´d say that you are lucky the US authorities (don´t know what ´s their name exactly - customs? some agriculture controll?) didn´t get you. I think the fines for broinging food into the US are quite heavy.

I´d say that you are lucky the US authorities (don´t know what ´s their name exactly - customs? some agriculture controll?) didn´t get you. I think the fines for broinging food into the US are quite heavy.

Well, we thought of it this way: RCI a U.S. company and Sitka is in Alaska -- U.S. It's not like I was taking the food into the U.S. from a foreign country. What I usually see is that they don't want you taking the food off the ship onto the Islands. And I think the real reason is so that you BUY food onshore.:)

I know I'm getting off topic, but I just noticed in your signature that you went on the Legend Italy/Croatia cruise. Could you tell me about it? I'm going on April 13. Do you by any chance have any menus or Compasses you can post?:)

Well, maybe what was really meant was showing off the cruise food compared to the stupid snacks you have to BUY on airlines nowadays;)

There you go! I can see that perspective when paired with the original posters idea. Maybe have a cruise-style bento box. Choose some food that wouldn't get icky quickly and, if applicable, have it prepped onshore to appease customs.

Unfortunately, I cannot see how something like this could be implemented without lots of logistics involved. Margins would be thin.

I know I'm getting off topic, but I just noticed in your signature that you went on the Legend Italy/Croatia cruise. Could you tell me about it? I'm going on April 13. Do you by any chance have any menus or Compasses you can post?:)

Not to hijack this thread too much, there´s a link in my signature to my website. There´s pics and a review of this cruise on my site and you´ll also find my email on there if you have any questions. I do have all the Compass, but have not scanned them. Sorry don´t have menus, didn´t bother because they were the same as on any other RCCL cruise.

It wouldn't work because you are not allowed to bring food off the ship. It is a agricultural law and very strict. I don't know under who auspices the law fits under, ie. customs, etc.

That is why I said Royal Caribbean would have to clear it with customs first.

I have sailed on Norwegian cruise lines on my honeymoon 21 years ago and remember people raving about the food. My husband and I were not impressed with the quality but were blown away by the quantity. We felt the quality on the Voyager, and Adventure was somewhat similar but again. Not anything what we would call sumptuous delicacies, it was fine but I would not rave about it. I had also eaten in Portofinos on our last cruise and would not pay the very low price of $20.00 to eat there again, I did not find it far more superior to the dining room. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about the food, just don't think it is as good as some people seem to feel. And I am sure you eat at some of the same restaurants in the city we do.

Just after we teturned from our cruise on the Radiance, we booked a 6-night cruise to Canada and New England aboard the Norwegian Spirit. There are those who take a cruise just to eat -- while we are not two of them, we appreciate good food, and that's what we received on the Radiance. We go to a number of good restaurants of different cuisines where we live, and we have cruised before on different lines and at these times there was nothing to complain about; now, we have nothing to complain about and a lot to rave in terms of the food on the Radiance. We hope the food on the Norwegian Spirit will not be a disappointment.:confused:

It wouldn't work because you are not allowed to bring food off the ship. It is a agricultural law and very strict. I don't know under who auspices the law fits under, ie. customs, etc.

Thanks for the info. I worked for the Health Department in our city and know the rules, but thank you for your consideration.:)

Not allowed to bring food off? Than why did weren't our rum cakes confiscated? ;) The food law pertains to agriculture brought in from other countries, not "doggie bags" of food from the ships dining room.

I wonder about this. Unless you bought them ashore or on the ship for the purpose of taking them when you disembark, the food should have been confiscated. Perhaps customs officials on the dock felt that the rum "sterilized" the cakes so they wouldn't pose a danger but I don't know for sure.:confused:

Archived