Wine on the PG

der93711

My husband loves his wine. :) Does anyone know what wines are served with dinner? Are they decent wines or will we have to bring our own or order off the premium wine list? Is there any way we can view the dinner wines on line? or does anyone have a list of wines the experienced on a recent sailing so we can get an idea?

Der

We did a B2B in March and thought

1. The Charles Krug Cabernet Sauvignon was excellent

2. They did not have a Reisling/Mosel we cared for

3. Other wines were very good

We're NOT wine experts by ANY stretch of hte immagination.

Greg

My husband I are are very into wine. We sailed on the PG at the end of May, beginning of June, and have been on other RSSC cruises. Each night, there are two different complimentary wines listed as being available for dinner, a white and a red. However, if you ask, there is often something else available, from one of the other restaurants or from prvious nights, or just available. For example, we are not big Chardonnay drinkers, but most nights, the white was a Chardonnay. However, upon our inquiry, other whites were made available, such as a sauvignon blanc. The complimentary wines were always basic, but drinkable - nothing special but definitely serviceable. There is also a reserve wine list, with wines available for an additional charge. We ordered from this list several nights. Compared to your standard restaurant wine list, the mark up was not bad.

I agree with all stated above, mark up on the premium wines is not too bad, but on a whole, you're likely to find a good "complimentary" wine anyway! We enjoyed the Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio which was served on the first night. Every night thereafter, we sampled the wine offered, whatever it may be, and then asked the wine steward to bring us another bottle of Santa Margherita (or two) to enjoy, as we always preferred it. It's not an expensive wine, but it's not really cheap either ($15.50 in the store for 750 ml). The bottom line is, they accomodate you willingly in your preference. Now, we're heading to Santa Margherita next week on The Diamond! It's like a religious pilgramage for us - ha ha!

Charlene

On the August 3 sailing, we found the wines to once again be good to excellent. Each night, if you don't care for the white or red they are serving, you can ask for another. They will usually have the wines served earlier in the week available. We found a Paso Robles Zin that was excellent and a number of other good "finds."

The wines in the bars we found to be quite mediocre and $6.50+ per glass. But then with a party nearly every day and free wine (and booze) served then, you rarely have to pay. The wines served in the room were good also.

As someone who really enjoys wine, I think your husband will be pleasantly surprised.

Archived