Montego Bay

snowseeker

I have searched for information on Montego Bay but mostly find info on Ocho Rios.

We will be docking in Montego Bay and are conflicted about what to do while we are there. Ideally, we would like to find a tour company that would let us decide the itenerary - any recommendations?

We are thinking of seeing Margaritaville; Doctor's Cave Beach; YS Falls (how far is this from Montego Bay?). Is there a coffee plantation near Montego Bay? Is there anything else we should not miss?

We are first time cruisers and would appreciate any advice you can offer!:D

Wow, it's hard to decide when it's your first cruise. May I ask how old (just a general idea) you are?

Personally I think Dunn's River Falls can be missed....it is always so crowded. We loved the "zip line" excursion, the sea kayaking and the all inclusive resort (we didn't go to Sandals....which I regret) but the one we did go to was nice. Anytime we've tried to snorkel in Jamaica it's been pretty much a bust. Someone once told me that the water was so unprotected for so so long, and that previously (the Jamaican Gov't has evidently changed their conservation laws in recent years) the water was so bad that much of the sealife had just died off. When I was there, last February, I strapped on my gear nevertheless (hoping that things had gotten better) I searched for almost an hour (near a jetty so there should have been something) and never saw a living creature....heck, I didn't even see a piece of kelp! As far as shopping is concerned, I found the little street vendors who are shipside when we returned to port as good and as reasonable as anywhere else (for local craft type things....obviously if you're looking for fine china or jewelry you're not going to find it their).

If your cabin has a balcony, and it's on the same side as the dock, make sure you get back in plenty of time to sit with a 'foo-foo' drink and watch the marching band perform. They are so much fun.

I've never tried to visit a coffee plantation, but that does sound interesting....I think I'll wait for KONA however.

What are your other ports?

Thanks so much for the information! I'm 40, DH is 42. We are so excited, maybe we should try the all inclusive beach resort - Sandals or Sunset?

We are visiting Grand Cayman and Cozumel also......Carnival Conquest on 11/04. I really want to do most of my shopping in Cozumel but I have read a lot about Cemetary Beach - have you ever been there?

We are planning to see Stingray City, Hell and the Turtle Farm in GC.

We went to Dr's Cave beach and its beautiful and very reasonable, we took a taxi for about $4 per person each way, and then we paid $5 for chair, $5 for an umbrella, $5 to get in, oops nearly forgot that. It means that the only hawkers in there are selling the water sports and its very relaxing, we snorkelled by the pier and saw lots of fish, also there are 2 restaurants on the beach that do beach service which was great. There are also showers and changing facitilities, we were a group of 8 ladies and we felt safe there.

My husband and I will be on the Conquest a few weeks after ya'll. We have booked with A-Z Jamaica Planners to go to Mayfield Falls and Drs Cave Beach. They have a lot of tours to choose from and it's much cheaper than you could get from the cruise line. All of the reviews I've read about A-Z have been positive, so I'm pretty sure it will be nice.

Archived