Which Hotel in Montreal

:) I am in quite the quandry about which hotel to stay for our first visit to Montreal. We will be arriving by train. I have reservations at the Fairmont, but kind of like the picutres of the Marriott Champlain better. I just don't know how difficult it will be to get ot the Marriott from the train station.

Any help would be appreciated. Linda

I have stayed at both hotels. From most perspectives I prefer the Queen Elizabeth (Fairmont) over the Château Champlain (Marriott), though if the latter is significantly less expensive then I would consider it.

The Queen Elizabeth could not be more convenient for arrivals by train; the hotel is directly above Gare Centrale. There is an elevator from the station's main concourse directly into the lobby of the hotel (from the main concourse look away from the ticket counters and towards boul. René Lévesque; walk ahead and towards the left, passing alongside a bakery with the hotel elevator on the left). I believe the station's red caps will also take your baggage directly from the platform where your train arrives into the hotel lobby. The hotel is nothing compared to many of the other CP- and CN-built hotels. It is a bland 1950 design, albeit fairly luxurious and you should have no complaints with its first class service.

The Château Champlain is about two blocks away. While it is possible to travel there from Gare Centrale underground using the Métro passageways, the route requires a number of twists and turns, along with negotiating stairs. Unless is it raining very hard or it is very cold, you're probably better off just walking. From the station's main concourse, looking towards the ticket counters, walk ahead and to the right, following the signs to the Métro's Bonaventure station. You'll walk past the CN headquarters, and then ahead of you will be the exit onto rue de la Gauchetière. Turn right and walk two blocks. The hotel is on the other side of rue de la Gauchetière. I found it unusual and also discomforting the circular windows that are in each room of this hotel. Otherwise I found nothing to complain about here either.

Both hotels are very well located for most activities in the city centre, and both are directly connected to the Métro and underground Montréal (though once again the Queen Elizabeth is slightly better located).

The Queen E is definitely a nicer hotel (quality wise) than the Chateau Champlain. Convenience wise, the Queen E also wins, since it's attached directly to the train station and it's a block away from the shopping.

The Chateau Champlain is two streets west, connected by tunnels and escalators. You need to go through two escalators and a tunnel to get to Place Bonaventure, then down through the metro station tunnels over to the Chateau Champlain.

If there was a significant price difference, I would consider the Chateau Champlain for a lower price, but since there is usually no price difference, I too would be staying at the Queen E.

Archived