Destiny in 2 weeks-need advice

chef1960

Hi! We are cruising (first cruise for us!) on Carnival Destiny on 10/28! There will be 16 of us, including a 1 year-old (nephew) and our 3 year old daughter. I just read the info on the car seats...we have a tour booked with COSOL in St. Lucia...seeing that almost every CC review recommends, someone must know...do we bring our car seats? Are there seatbelts in the vans? I am a car safety LUNATIC - I will be traveling with the car seat on the plane even tho she is 3 - did it alone in August and managed just fine (okay - that's another thread;) )Now I am so nervous even about the times we plan to take a taxi somewhere...I think we'll be staying on the ship!!! But, if we do decide to get off - any suggestions for an inexpensive family-friendly beach on any of the islands Destiny will visit? (Antigua, Barbados, St. Thomas...I know we are out of luck at Dominica) We have some limited info on the Boatyard in Barbados...good for kids? (There will also be 11 and 13 year-olds) Thanks in advance - all of you are so helpful...I am blown away by all of the expert advice!

I know alot of people say there are no seatbelts for the car seats in the taxis/vans on these Carribean islands but I have to say in OUR experience we have ALWAYS found seatbelts in the taxis/vans. Now in the excursion BUSES there are no seatbelts. Just like here in the US.

But in the vans/taxis...yes there have been seatbelts. ESPECIALLY in the VANS. I have never seen a van without seatbelts. So look for shuttle taxis that are vans.

You shouldn't have to miss out on seeing great islands. I have never been to Antigua or Barbados but I have been to St.Thomas a few times and it is one of my favorites. We go to Coral World when we go to StThomas but if you want a nice beach, what about Magen's Bay (suppose to be one of the top 10 most beautiful beaches in the world)

http://www.magensbayvi.com/

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from the Destiny cruise, and Magen's Bay is great. It is a man-made beach, and it is beautifuly. Last week it was not crowded, and almost everyone there was from the Destiny. There are dressing rooms and bathrooms, a cafe to buy sandwiches and drinks, one or two small shops and some of the largest iguanas I have ever seen....2 ate a plate of lettuce on the cafe patio while we had hamburgers there. There are picnic tables under nice shady trees, and it was very peaceful and beautiful there. We took the Carnival tour that included 2 hours at Magen's Bay, a trip to Blackbeard's Castle and the 99 steps and swimming pools if anyone wanted more swim time. There were several kids on our tour who enjoyed the pools there. The older kids probably would enjoy the statues of pirates...one looks exactly like Captain Jack Sparrow. Our tour buses did have seat belts. No one told you to use them, but they were there if you wanted them. Only the Wacky Rollers restored military vehicles on Dominica did not have seat belts, but they are open air and had padded rails you could hold on to. It would not be a good choice for a baby, but the older kids would love one of those tours.

I am getting more confused about what to do. We are leaning towards Coral World as my parents (both 76) want to come along and it seems like something they'd like, too. I cannot see them spending the day on the beach-not their favorite thing. Hmmm....

Well, thanks so much for your info - Magen's Bay sounds wonderful!

Archived