Questions about the Gem/NYC Dec 08......

ConnCruise

We're gonna be booking three rooms, 1 mini suite and 2 inside's for the Gem out of NYC in December 2008. I have several questions.

I've not seen any price difference in any of the major, a few smaller web vendors and the site of NCL. We were on the Dawn back in 2003 and I thought there was more price flexibility.

Can we expect any discount for booking three rooms/6 fares?

That week in December is the only time we can go, but I'm looking for any feedback on traveling out of NYC in the winter. I'm from Connecticut, so I know its generally cold and can be snowy in late December. But I'm curious about how long it takes before the temperature warms up. (a day, day and half, etc) I know the weather is very variable that time of year, but I'm just looking for any general impressions. Also, assuming were not sailing through a Noreaster, how rough are the seas from NYC to Bahamas/Florida.

NCL used to have something called a "family plan" or something like that. If you booked more than one cabin, you could get a discount on the 2nd or 3rd. I don't remember all the details so I would suggest calling them and see if they still do it.

We've sailed out of NYC at different times of the year. Generally, the first day out and the last day home are chilly. Usually by the 2nd day it starts to get nice, sometimes not til afternoon though.

Assuming you don't have any storms, I've never found the sailings to be particularly rough, although we did have some bumpy weather coming back to NYC one year.

It's really hard to judge the weather or seas as it's so changeable. Even Florida can be cold in December.

Hope you have a great cruise.

We are sailing on the Gem on December 29 out of New York. My family booked 5 cabins, 2 balcony and 3 insides and did not receive any price breaks, other than the Latitudes rate (we have sailed with Norweigan before). I also have a son who is a crew member on the Gem and he couldn't get us any deals either. I booked directly with Norweigan, as all the other places I checked, including our TA, couldn't get a price that was any better than booking directly. The cruise we are booked for is selling quickly as it is the New Year's Eve cruise, and only the second sailing out of New York. They expect it to sell out, so if that is the one you are thinking about you better move quickly. My son was formerly on the Dawn out of New York and he says it can be a bit rocky the first day out and last day back, but he only has had one trip where it was really uncomfortable. Well worth it to experience New Years on the Gem!

NCL used to have something called a "family plan" or something like that. If you booked more than one cabin, you could get a discount on the 2nd or 3rd. I don't remember all the details so I would suggest calling them and see if they still do it.

I've been told that the family plan applies when one books any suite accomodation and pairs it with an inside cabin. I don't know all the details either! :confused:

Archived