Please Explain Cover Charges.....

ThePapermaker

:confused: I have never cruised on the NCL line before and am confused about the term "cover charge" used to describe the specialty restaurants. Does the cover charge just get you entry to the restaurant, or does this cover charge cover the entire cost of the dinner?

We are cruising on the Norwegian Sun in November, 2007.

The Papermaker :confused:

"Cover Charge" is a weird way to put it, come to think, since a lot of us are accustomed to that term referring to some sort of entry fee.

In the case of Specialty Dining, the cover charge is actually the price of the entire meal, per person, including gratuity if you wish (although most tip extra in cash if warranted). Some Specialty places have kind of a two-tiered menu where certain entrees will cost a bit more over and above the cover. Even in these places though you can get a complete meal without paying more than the original fee. In all the restaurants I tried on the Sun you were able to order as many starters, sides and desserts as you wanted but were limited to one choice of entree. Might not be the case in every venue on every ship though.

Happy Sails,

Annette

:confused: I have never cruised on the NCL line before and am confused about the term "cover charge" used to describe the specialty restaurants. Does the cover charge just get you entry to the restaurant, or does this cover charge cover the entire cost of the dinner?

We are cruising on the Norwegian Sun in November, 2007.

The Papermaker :confused:

We just did our first NCLA cruise and I think the term "cover charge" is referring to the Specialty restaurant charge which is what we paid. Now if you decide that the wait staff went above and beyond you can always tip extra. Now some may say that the extra charge is for that coverage and I don't know so maybe someone can address that.:D

The surcharge covers the entire dinner. Certain very expensive items may have an additional charge above that - I think there was Russian caviar available for an addition $50, or something like that. I did not purchase that.

Also, since the service will probably be so much better than in the normal restaurant, a tip is probably appropriate (but of course discretionary.)

Archived