luggage tag question

CLEMM

I am travelling to Venice for my cruise but will be staying a few days pre cruise in a hotel(not Celebrity arranged). Should I put the luggage tags on before I leave home, or just before I leave the hotel for the ship? Will it confuse anything to have them on earlier?

I put my on when I am ready to go to the pier. Celebrity tags look a lot like airline tags - and both have a bar code. Besides the possiblity of having them torn off, I don't need extra tags that could possibly confuse the airlines anymore than necessary.

I do however attach an extra suitcase luggage tag (the kind that you put your name and address on) that is a funny shape and/or color for suitcase identification. Inside that luggage tag, I put in a business card that I print on my printer giving our names and cruiseline, ship, and sailing date (along with the line "itinerary on reverse side" on one side, and then run the business card through the printer again with our itinerary printed on the other side.

It probably wouldn't happen in Venice, but if I'm flying in a day or two early to a port that MAY have a Celebrity ship sailing before mine, such as Fort Lauderdale, I don't put the ship tag on because I certainly don't want my bag getting snagged by Celebrity. If the luggage handler is only looking for X tags... and my bag has one... he might not bother to check the ship name/sail date. If my bag sets sail on the wrong ship I doubt it would catch up to me very soon!

We put the tags on after we arrive at the hotel (night before). It's kind of an "event". It says we're REALLY going on a cruise. That's when we double check that we have everything filled out and in order (contracts signed, express passes). It's part of our night-before routine.

I agree with the previous posters. It is wisest to fill them out at home, but do not put them on until the night before you board the ship.

I have just been filling out my tags for my cruise this week. I am carrying the ships luggage tags, but I use a bright yellow Itinerary tag tied (with plastic) to the handle of my case, and tucked under the bright yellow strap I also use. This tag should help get my luggage to me if it should go astray. Inside the case I put another tag, just in case !

It is a good idea to put something on your bag to help you pick it out as it comes off the plane, and at the end of the cruise. So many bags look the same. I use a yellow strap with my name printed all around it, plus yellow covers on the handles, and "approved" yellow locks on the zips.

Have a great cruise

Archived