What should a 7 year old wear???

Boatgirl1981

We have a 7 year old boy coming on our cruise with us, what should he wear to the formal nights?

This will likely turn into a hot-button thread, but IMO they can get away with slacks and a tie. My DS has always done this and has looked more than appropriate, even gotten compliments. Another possibility is to pick up a sport coat, but I was always too cheap/busy.

I see no reason to spend the time and money finding a suit they will wear once.

It doesn't matter what WE think. Carnival's dress code is the same for children as it is for adults. Minimum requirement is jacket and tie.

I agree with Pete.

That being said, I'll give you my thoughts anyway, since you asked.

CCL does ask that kids dress the same as adults. The truth is that although many follow the dress requests, some do not. If your child walked in the dining room with nice slacks and a shirt and tie, or even a polo, he'd be ok.

BUT...as a Mom who thinks it's kinda important to teach children (because that's our job), if your son has a jacket, OR you can get one inexpensively (because they do outgrow things very quickly) it would be nice to show your son what it's like to dine in a more formal atmosphere starting NOW. Then maybe if he gets used to this (and actually may learn to appreciate it) then he won't turn into one of those men who balk at getting dressed properly.

The future women in his life will thank you. ;)

Hey Pete,

Thanks for your reply. I called Carnival and your answer is the exact as she said. Anybody knows a place that sells childrens suits or sport coats?

Pretty much and dept store...sears, penny's, dillards...etc...

You can do the pants and shirt like some mentioned (I'm not here to argue)

BUT

You can get a kids tux on e-bay for $20-30 (not much more than a nice outfit from Wall-Mart)

1) It will be a great photo op since the kids don't dress up that often.

2) Even though my kids are the skater type, they can learn that there is a time and place for everything.

3) It takes little effort

4) You can sell them on e-bay after they out grow them or hand them down.

We have new Tux's for the boys for next Weeks cruise Black with Black vest........I bought a vest to go with mine and my Dad is taking his tux and vest.............PRICLESS PHOTO OP...to the ladies in my family.

just my opinion.......

...OH Yeah........almost forgot

2260291500089406063S600x600Q85.jpg

They thought they were sooooo cool:cool:

2978755610089406063S600x600Q85.jpg

2383846100089406063S600x600Q85.jpg

...OH Yeah........almpst forgot

2260291500089406063S600x600Q85.jpg

They thought they were sooooo cool:cool:

2978755610089406063S600x600Q85.jpg

2383846100089406063S600x600Q85.jpg

:D OMG!!

Look at the attitude on those boys when they're dressed so nicely?? You can tell how good they feel about themselves LOL!!!!! How fricking CUTE are those kids!! Nice pics, thanks for posting!!

Funny.....I think MrPete, Crusinmama06 (Michelle) and I are 3 of the defenders of a dying breed........we always find these threads LOL

I seriously don't think we're a dying breed. The 'denim folks' just want us to think that.

Bottom line is when you go in the dining room on formal night, look around you. Majority are dressed nicely. :)

We have had good luck (for our four-year old son) finding kids suits/tuxedo's on ebay. I have never paid over $25 with shipping for a suit or tuxedo. You just have to be patient and wait for the right one. We always buy them one size big, then have the tux altered (lady usually just puts "darts" in the pants and sleeves). Then the next year she takes them out and one tuxedo is good for two cruises. It's a pretty cheap option and the kids look great in tux's.

We have had good luck (for our four-year old son) finding kids suits/tuxedo's on ebay. I have never paid over $25 with shipping for a suit or tuxedo. You just have to be patient and wait for the right one. We always buy them one size big, then have the tux altered (lady usually just puts "darts" in the pants and sleeves). Then the next year she takes them out and one tuxedo is good for two cruises. It's a pretty cheap option and the kids look great in tux's.

Now thats what I'm talkin' about!!!

Even my Tux......e-bay for under $100. I'm going on my 3rd cruise with it and buy $50 in "Options" each time.........now I have 4 looks to choose from depending on my mood.

Archived