Questions about winter cruise from NYC to Carribean

WantVacation

If you've taken a cruise from New York City to the Carribean,

I'd like your feedback...

I'm thinking of taking a January cruise from NYC to the Carribean, but I'm concerned about whether the waves/weather gets rough in the Atlantic Ocean during that time of the year. However, I get motion sickness if it's too rocky, so I wanted to find out how steady are the ships through winter atlantic waters.

What has your experience been? (with regards to the waves or the cruise in general)

Thanks!

For the last 3-4 years we have taken a winter cruise every year out of NY. Most of the times its a little rocky the first night and then its fine(sometimes a little Rocky by Cape Hatteras). But I must tell you the worst I ever had(other than a small boat deep sea fishing off Hawaii)- was on a cruise out of Miami in the winter. So it can be bad any where. and my experience can not be presumed to be what you will hit. It can be anything from dead calm to full N'easter. Since the same is true on airplanes, take some pills and take a cruise.

I can only speak about our cruise on the Norwegian Spirit early last March...very smooth sailing all the way south, but on the return trip we sailed through a nasty Nor'easter. The sea was very rough, the waves were high, and a lot of people were absent from the restaurants and public areas on that last day. This was only the second time in all of my cruises that I saw 'sick bags' available everywhere and they were disappearing! Although our family was uncomfortable, we did not feel ill at any time. We have booked again for March 08 on the Norwegian Gem out of New York.

The problem with a New York departure in winter is that you can't predict the weather at that time of year....it is what it is. It could be great or it could be terrible on the first or last sea days. A newer, larger ship is less likely to pitch and roll.....a midships cabin on a lower deck helps.....taking anti-nausea medicine with you just in case might be a good idea too.

Kathy

If you've taken a cruise from New York City to the Carribean,

I'd like your feedback...

I'm thinking of taking a January cruise from NYC to the Carribean, but I'm concerned about whether the waves/weather gets rough in the Atlantic Ocean during that time of the year. However, I get motion sickness if it's too rocky, so I wanted to find out how steady are the ships through winter atlantic waters.

What has your experience been? (with regards to the waves or the cruise in general)

Thanks!

We have also sailed out of NYC in March on two occasions; once on the Dawn in mid-March '04 and on the Spirit in early March '06.

The first night at sea can be a little rough. On the Dawn in '04 we were in an inside cabin midships (deck 8, I think) & could feel the ship moving through rough seas and woke up a few times because of this. The second and subsequent nights were fine. Once you reach the Carolina's latitude the seas smooth out quite a bit. Coming back the last night again was a little rough but not as rough as before.

We also were on the Spirit in early March '06 and ran into a N'orEaster coming back. After getting bounced out of our beds twice we decided to just stay up the rest of the night. We were about 2 hours late getting into port because of the storm. I guess we were on the same cruise as you, Kathy. ;)

A good friend of ours sailed on the Dawn in early January out of NYC and reported similar conditions; once you get past the first day/night it's smooth sailing from there. On the return the last day/night was also a little rough.

We saw a lot of people with that patch behind the ear that is worn to prevent motion sickness. You may want to bring one of them. :D

Bottom line: I wouldn't let it deter me from booking a cruise out of NYC in January.

Tom & Eileen

PS to Kathy/Chrislynn55: were you part of the group that watched "Jose and Patti" in the Galaxy of the Stars every night?

• 2 months later...

Friends took the Spirit out of NYC for NYE 2006. They rocked & rolled & puked all the way down. :(

I was with them the following year on the Dawn. It was like glass; even the crew remarked that it was unseasonably calm. :)

Other friends disembarked one February (might have been January) into a blizzard -- they said it was a nightmare getting out of the port, especially for people who did not have their own transportation or needed to get to an airline.

It's the luck of the draw. I have my dramamine packed & my fingers crossed for my cruise on 1/5/08. :D

Just did the Explorer out of Bayonne 12 night 12/2 and went thru a very bad storm going out and hit a tiny bit of tropical storm Olga leaving San Juan but no big deal. I've sailed out of Bayonne many times and you always risk the chance of hitting some rough seas no matter what time of year you cruise out of NY. Take a Bonine a couple hours before boarding and one every morning to prevent seasickness or whatever anti motion remedy that works for you. I've sail thru Tropical storm Barry, Hurricane Noel, various other trop storms, and most recently the worse storm of all of them on the 12/2 and we never got sick but we always take Bonine just in case. The Explorer is a huge ship but in bad weather you will still feel a lot of motion. Try to book a cabin near the hump or midship and stay away from the front and aft of the ship if motion really bothers you. You'll still feel it midship but not as bad. The storms and heavy seas that may occur do not bother us and we love the Explorer! You just can't predict the weather and you could have smooth seas but you can't count on it:)

Archived