Train from Rome to Orvieto

I know it is a short train ride from Termini Roma to Orvieto. Is Orvieto worth a visit for an afternoon? We have some extra time in Rome and did not want to go as far as Florence..... so Orvieto is on the short list. Any other suggestions?????

Marty

Orvieto is an easy train ride from Rome. You may wish to find transportation up the hill from the train station.

We like Orvieto because it is beautiful, great domo, great assortment of shops and some very good white wine. Our cruise ship stops in Rome next week. Claudio will meet us at the port and we will go directly to Orvieto.

Do it, you will love it. Will be my third trip.

clvali

I know it is a short train ride from Termini Roma to Orvieto. Is Orvieto worth a visit for an afternoon? We have some extra time in Rome and did not want to go as far as Florence..... so Orvieto is on the short list. Any other suggestions?????

Marty

It's about an hour train ride from Termini.....A very nice ride--nice country. Orvieto is very quiet, not noisy like Rome. It's very quaint.

• 3 weeks later...

would like to go from FCO to Orvieto on 1/25/08 (understand I have to go thru Rome?)

when I go to Trenitalia website - I'm ONLY receiving 1 option - Rome to Orvieto at 7pm.

Can anyone suggest a bus or another Public transportation that we can take from FCO to Orvieto on 1/25 - around 9:30am?

Also return trip is just as bad 1/26 at 7:57am-Suggestions for return trip later in day back to Rome?

All help is appreciated! Train runs seem to be very sparse in January...

would like to go from FCO to Orvieto on 1/25/08 (understand I have to go thru Rome?)

when I go to Trenitalia website - I'm ONLY receiving 1 option - Rome to Orvieto at 7pm.

Can anyone suggest a bus or another Public transportation that we can take from FCO to Orvieto on 1/25 - around 9:30am?

Also return trip is just as bad 1/26 at 7:57am-Suggestions for return trip later in day back to Rome?

All help is appreciated! Train runs seem to be very sparse in January...

I don't think our Italian friends have posted local train schedules for January yet. Reenter a december, 2007 date and you will see lots of options. Train schedules. (The listed train is an overnight, international train).

Train scheduled usually don't change significantly between December and January.

Paul

Orvieto is a wonderful hilltop village and well worth a visit. We did stay near the station many years ago and heard the trains roaring through but of course I don't think that many actually stopped there.

Of course January is in the middle of their winter so perhaps the village is very quiet, and not expecting tourists.

Jennie

I don't think our Italian friends have posted local train schedules for January yet. Reenter a december, 2007 date and you will see lots of options. Train schedules. (The listed train is an overnight, international train).

Train scheduled usually don't change significantly between December and January.

Paul

Whew! Nothing was listed for December either but when I put in November there were plenty of options. I knew I must have done incorrectly - thanks for reliving my mind!

Now - onto places to stay in Orvieto. There's not a lot recommended on TA. Can anyone give me a good (BUDGET) recommendation for someplace in the town or close to train station?

Thanks!

Archived