Sorry, but I need "step by step" info....

LHP

Yes, I am one of those :slow: ones that need everything explained to me.

As I understand it, when we step off the ship, there is a shuttle to a market.

How much is this shuttle? Is it difficult to find the return shuttle when you want to return to the ship?

I have read the double decker bus is $2 a person for a short tour. Does this go into Merida? Or just surrounding areas of the marketplace?? Is there a beach right there at the market...or do you need to take an additional taxi?

Thanks for the info....

Yes, I am one of those :slow: ones that need everything explained to me.

As I understand it, when we step off the ship, there is a shuttle to a market.

How much is this shuttle? Is it difficult to find the return shuttle when you want to return to the ship?

I have read the double decker bus is $2 a person for a short tour. Does this go into Merida? Or just surrounding areas of the marketplace?? Is there a beach right there at the market...or do you need to take an additional taxi?

Thanks for the info....

We just got back a week ago from Progresso, so I don't mind to answer your questions.

1. When you get off the ship, the bus that takes you to the market is free. When you get ready to leave, just got back to where you were dropped off and they're constantly running a bus to & from.

2. The double decker bus is only $2 per person and just takes you on a city tour of Progresso. We enjoyed this!

3. The beach is just a couple of blocks down from the market and everyone walks there. If you go on the double decker tour first, you will see what I'm talking about.

While we were there we visited a school and took school supplies. Check out my post there are several pictures on there of the city.

In addition to what aragerwku said.

The shuttle runs about every 20 minutes. When you first get off the ship you will see a shopping complex (photo attached). Walk through it and you will see the free bus to Progreso (photo attached). You will be dropped off by a market where you can catch the $2 tour bus (photo attached). The bus tour only takes 15 mins and is well worth it. The tour bus will drop you back off by the market. You can see the beach from there.

Tours to Merida are sold at the shopping complex (right when you get off the ship) and at the market (where the bus drops you off). You could also take a taxi. I think it takes about 30 minutes to get there but I am not sure of the price.

DSCF5745.jpg.b6070f600b479b4591cf15247a5b6059.jpg

DSCF5751.jpg.5dd84b2d36a309b5614cd6b3b1afaf2a.jpg

DSCF5764b.jpg.ac6a0b6b914ae09d7ca9ba5000709396.jpg

And to add to what Elizablake said: When you get off the free shuttle at the open air market, if you want to go to Merida there is a municipal bus that costs $3. Merida is about 18 miles from Progreso.

If you want to do the beach just walk straight to the end of the block, turn left and walk two blocks.

Most of all, DON'T FREAK OUT!! Progreso is a GREAT little town, VERY safe and with VERY nice and helpful people.....if in doubt, just ask. Have a blast :)

Thank you ALL so very very much. This is EXACTLY what I needed.

We have a special needs son, so I have to be very exact about knowing what I am doing when we go into these ports. And since this is one we have not been to before, I was unsure.

He can't do a lot, but he can take the $2 bus ride...that will be a hoot for him. I have already warned him to look out of the branches if we ride up top!!

Thanks again!!!!

As you come off of the pier, the Malecon and beach will be directly to your left, about a block or so. 17 blocks of beach with restaurants on the other side of the street. The "tour" is just around Progreso. Don't know how "into" small town Yucatan you are, but not much to see. I would take a bus to Merida - shouldn't be more than a couple of dollars. Take it all the way to Centro - to the Plaza Grande. There are plenty of maps online - so you can see the layout of Centro. Check out the Events column on Yucatan Living (http://www.yucatanliving.com) for what to do in Merida and get more details of beach and city from folks on Merida Insider (http://www.meridainsider.com). Hope you enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the beach info as well. He loves shells.

We will probably just stick to the double decker bus. He gets antsy if he "feels like" he is going to far from the ship.

We finally got him comfortable going 8 miles from the ship in Cozumel to Paradise Beach in a taxi. I am afraid that 18 miles would be to far...

but thanks again for the options!!

Archived