Can parents attend/monitor kids club programs-Disney, Royal Carib, Canival?

CapnD

Our son is not quite 3, and has recently developed separation anxiety from mom & dad. He is not a day care child.

I think he would do great in these programs, but would be initially terrified to be put in with strangers.

Are parents allowed to stay and watch, at least initially, until kids are more comfortable?

Not on Carnival. The parents are allowed to go the first night to orientation, but after that you sign your child in and leave them. I know from leaving my children at day care that that's what works best - at least for us - anyway. The longer I stay, the longer it prolongs the anxiety and crying. My girls would cry each time I left them, but I would wait around the corner and listen and sure enough, they would stop within a reasonable amount of time. They gave me beeper and when one would cry and not stop, they would give me a call.

On Princess, one parent is allowed to go in with your child and there are usually a few parents hanging out.

Best,

Mia

Nope, on Carnival and RCCL you aren't even allowed past the front gate. They are hyperviligent about safety.

One time on RCCL my youngest was sleeping right next to the gate so I offered to take the 2 steps inside to pick her up and they said "NOOOOOO". They picked her up and handed her to me.

On Disney, I seem to recall being allowed in to observe some of the activities. My oldest was 4 at the time and we were allowed to come into the 3-4 year old area.

Now, do I think that it's good that they allow parents in? Actually, I would prefer it for safety reasons if they didn't. I know YOU are safe. But what about the next parent who is allowed to wander in and out of the rooms? Could a child be smuggled out? It's kind of frightening to think about it.

And Disney doesn't have electronic monitoring braclets like the newer RCCL Freedom class ships do. At least they didn't back in 2005 ;)

I do like to go in quick every day and take a few photos- how else are the kids going to remember what they did? The counselors were good about this, but they frowned on us hanging out too long.

On RCCL there is a sign requesting no pictures to be taken at Adventure Ocean club area. It is for the privacy of the other children. ;)

As a former pre-school teacher, I would think that if your child is going thru separation anxiety, the worst thing would be for you to stay and watch. My advice would be to bring your child to the play room and then with a big smile on your face and a happy voice, tell them that you want them to have a wonderful time playing with all of these children and that you will be back soon. Keep the big smile and happy voice even if they grab onto your neck and and have to be pryed off by the counselor. Walk away quickly and DON'T TURN AROUND AND LOOK BACK!!!! (Your child will sense your uncertainty.)

Once you're down the hallway you can cry. Call the play room about 15 minutes later to see how your little one is doing. You will most likely hear from the counselor that he's having a grand 'ol time!

Kids look to their parents to see how they're supposed to act. So if you're upbeat, confident and excited about the play room, they will be too. Even if you have to fake it!

Good luck!

As a former pre-school teacher, I would think that if your child is going thru separation anxiety, the worst thing would be for you to stay and watch. My advice would be to bring your child to the play room and then with a big smile on your face and a happy voice, tell them that you want them to have a wonderful time playing with all of these children and that you will be back soon. Keep the big smile and happy voice even if they grab onto your neck and and have to be pryed off by the counselor. Walk away quickly and DON'T TURN AROUND AND LOOK BACK!!!! (Your child will sense your uncertainty.)

Once you're down the hallway you can cry. Call the play room about 15 minutes later to see how your little one is doing. You will most likely hear from the counselor that he's having a grand 'ol time!

Kids look to their parents to see how they're supposed to act. So if you're upbeat, confident and excited about the play room, they will be too. Even if you have to fake it!

Good luck!

I agree with this 100%!!!!!

I have a friend who does the opposite of this. She hangs around on the first day of school. The first day of dance class. The first day at Camp Carnival. And she says "Are you okeeeeeee? Are you sure? I will buy you a toy to stay hereeeeee. You can come with mommy if you aren't okay"

Now, the first day of preschool the kids ran off and didn't look back. The next few days they sensed her insecurities and started looking for her to hang around. NOW, the kids are SEVEN years old. NOW at this point they feed off of her insecurities. They run out of the 2nd grade and out into the parking lot. BOTH of them. :rolleyes:

They cried at Camp Carnival. Both of them.

She fed them a line of crap before they even got to camp. Telling them she would buy them a toy if they stayed. :rolleyes: Like they wouldn't have a good time.

On the first day of dropping my kids off anywhere, I put on a smile. Tell them how much FUN it's going to be. I get them all excited. I drop them off and get the heck outta there. ;) Never let them sense any anxiety or they will feed off of that and mimic your anxiety.

Do the counselors on RCI help with separation? My 3yo has also suddenly developed a sort of anxiety when going to school or to the Y nursery. But, he's ALWAYS fine after about 5 minutes. And I too am a big believer in the drop-them-and-run method. :D Will they deal with him if he's crying for a few minutes and call me back if for some reason he doesn't stop?

And I too am a big believer in the drop-them-and-run method. :D Will they deal with him if he's crying for a few minutes and call me back if for some reason he doesn't stop?

Yep, you're right. Drop and run baby! :D

They will deal with him. They will only call you back if they can't get him to calm down after some time. No worries. :)

They will deal with him. They will only call you back if they can't get him to calm down after some time. No worries. :)

That's great to hear. Normally he's always fine being dropped off, but he's going through some weird stage right now. Even with his preschool teachers that he loves. But he always calms down within a few minutes. And we won't be leaving the ship or anything. Really the only time I'm worried about is at dinner. I want to be able to relax during dinner and not worry about him.

The counselors are great with kids...and know how to deal with separation anxiety too. If your child is still not happy after a certain amount of time, the counselors will call you. They want your little one to enjoy being in camp, and will let you know if they aren't.

I remember crying after leaving my son at a preschool for the first time and then crying AGAIN when I called an found out he was having a great time. I felt like an idiot, but I was just so happy that he was having fun. And think about it....Kids Camp is fun!

So don't worry (too much) and enjoy your dinner!

So don't worry (too much) and enjoy your dinner!

Oh I wish I could. This little guy is stressing me out big time lately. And that's just worrying about him at home. I can't even think about how he's going to be on the cruise yet.

But your comments are making me feel better about AO. I've heard all sorts of great things, but I just personally don't know what to expect.

I know on Celebrity that the day of embarkation the kids club is open with parent supervision. This is a great way to get your child excited about the program and parents can stay.

On my last cruise, my six year old son met a girl from HongKong the first day- they were buddies the rest of the trip. My son has always been thrilled to go to the youth programs. He has been on 13 cruises (he is 7 now).

I know on Celebrity that the day of embarkation the kids club is open with parent supervision. This is a great way to get your child excited about the program and parents can stay.

Yeah I should revised my comment then. Yes on the first day on RCCL and Carnival, parents are allowed into the kids clubs for registration. And they usually have some sort of family activity going on. You can walk around the clubs then. But when the clubs actually begins, no parents are allowed. ;)

Yeah I should revised my comment then. Yes on the first day on RCCL and Carnival, parents are allowed into the kids clubs for registration. And they usually have some sort of family activity going on. You can walk around the clubs then. But when the clubs actually begins, no parents are allowed. ;)

Oh good to know, cause I asked that question in my potty post.

Archived