What am I missing???

Tarius

What is the deal with October? Last year (2003) we went on a cruise on the "Majesty of the Seas" and didn't have a problem booking even one month in advance. This year, we were planning to go in October on the "Adventure of the Seas" out of San Juan, and the only thing available is an owners suite. Is there something about October this year that I don't know about? What is it that makes this month so popular this year? I would have thought that there would be a lot of options available!

Any and all replies greatly appreciated...

You're comparing Apples to Oranges. The Majesty is an older, smaller ship doing short runs to the Bahamas. It does 2 trips a week. The AOS is a Voyager class ship-these are widely popular. It's also a much newer ship, more activities, more interesting itinerary, etc. I bet if you check the Majesty, you'll still find space available. More people are cruising every year and prices tend to be some of the lowest of the year in October which makes it more affordable to cruise on the Voyager class ships. I know our September Mariner cruise is about 40% of what it would cost to do the same trip in June.

Just some stabs in the dark here...

1) The economy is better than it was a year ago.

2) Airfare wars. I've seen fares as low as $59 from the NE to major cruise ports like FLL and MIA.

3) As Aqusis pointed out, not all cruises are created equal. You are trying to book a more popular cruise less than two months in advance.

• 4 months later...

Archived