Which is better? Coral Gardens or barrier reef?

mlbcruiser

I've snorkeled at Grand Cayman before at both the Coral Gardens and what they referred to as the barrier reef. I understand there is also a place called the aquarium. Which of these offers the best snorkeling? From what I recall, at one stop there was a large "mound" or coral head and a very bright green, large eel was lying underneath it. It was quite striking to someone who had never seen one that green or large before. Anyone know which site that would have been? (I seem to recall being told there was a deep dropoff or wall in the vicinity, but we never had time to swim over to it.) The reason I am asking is we are trying to choose an excursion. The one we are thinking of only goes to Coral Gardens. Neither goes to the aquarium. Since I'll have some newbies w/me, I want them to really enjoy what they see along w/safe and easy snorkeling. Thanks for any replies!

I've snorkeled at Grand Cayman before at both the Coral Gardens and what they referred to as the barrier reef. I understand there is also a place called the aquarium. Which of these offers the best snorkeling? From what I recall, at one stop there was a large "mound" or coral head and a very bright green, large eel was lying underneath it. It was quite striking to someone who had never seen one that green or large before. Anyone know which site that would have been? (I seem to recall being told there was a deep dropoff or wall in the vicinity, but we never had time to swim over to it.) The reason I am asking is we are trying to choose an excursion. The one we are thinking of only goes to Coral Gardens. Neither goes to the aquarium. Since I'll have some newbies w/me, I want them to really enjoy what they see along w/safe and easy snorkeling. Thanks for any replies!

The sea life was more interesting near the reef, however it was a tougher swim as the current from the water coming over the reef kept pushing you away from it. It was difficult to stay in place and observe anything. My guess is this is where you saw the eel, but it's just a guess.

So I take it it's prettier under the surface and/or has more sealife near the reef, then. (?) I had hoped it was more likely I saw the eel at Coral Gardens because it looks like we are going on an independently operated tour that only visits there and Stingray City. A a couple of the people who will be w/us have either never snorkeled or are not very experienced at it. I took one of these ladies snorkeling w/me while at Trunk Bay 2 yrs. ago. She and I snorkeled around the outcropping to the right of Trunk Bay. There was a bit of a current and we had to be careful not to get thrown onto the rocks or coral. When I asked about snorkeling on this cruise, she was a bit fearful due to that experience, but I told her this time we'd just jump off the boat, water should be pretty calm, and it would be much easier. If we were to switch tour operators and visit the reef/dropoff area, it might be a bit much for her.

So I take it it's prettier under the surface and/or has more sealife near the reef, then. (?) I had hoped it was more likely I saw the eel at Coral Gardens because it looks like we are going on an independently operated tour that only visits there and Stingray City. A a couple of the people who will be w/us have either never snorkeled or are not very experienced at it. I took one of these ladies snorkeling w/me while at Trunk Bay 2 yrs. ago. She and I snorkeled around the outcropping to the right of Trunk Bay. There was a bit of a current and we had to be careful not to get thrown onto the rocks or coral. When I asked about snorkeling on this cruise, she was a bit fearful due to that experience, but I told her this time we'd just jump off the boat, water should be pretty calm, and it would be much easier. If we were to switch tour operators and visit the reef/dropoff area, it might be a bit much for her. Thanks for the info. (Anyone else know the coral mound w/the eel that I am talking about?)

So I take it it's prettier under the surface and/or has more sealife near the reef, then. (?) I had hoped it was more likely I saw the eel at Coral Gardens because it looks like we are going on an independently operated tour that only visits there and Stingray City. A a couple of the people who will be w/us have either never snorkeled or are not very experienced at it. I took one of these ladies snorkeling w/me while at Trunk Bay 2 yrs. ago. She and I snorkeled around the outcropping to the right of Trunk Bay. There was a bit of a current and we had to be careful not to get thrown onto the rocks or coral. When I asked about snorkeling on this cruise, she was a bit fearful due to that experience, but I told her this time we'd just jump off the boat, water should be pretty calm, and it would be much easier. If we were to switch tour operators and visit the reef/dropoff area, it might be a bit much for her.

There is so much incredible snorkeling in the Caymans it's almost not fair. You'll enjoy yourself very much no matter where your excursion snorkels at. I wouldn't base your tour decision based on the snorkeling location, as long as it also visits Stingray City. The water is 84 degrees and soooo beautiful right now.

Archived