Need ideas for cruise bag for kids

Mama2Tay

Every December, I do an advent calendar for my two kids (DD age 9 and DS age 6). Each day when they open the block on the calendar, they either get a gift, or we do something special that day.

Instead of doing just miscellaneous gifts this year, I would like to do it with a cruise theme. I was thinking of giving them items that they will need on the cruise, so at the end of the month, they will have a cruise bag set to go. I'm thinking small things, not big things at this point.

I have a few ideas, like sunscreen, sunglasses, new books to read, but I'm looking for any addtional ideas you might have. We've never cruised with the kids, so there may be many things I wouldn't think of.

Thanks for the help!

If you plan on snorkeling get them a mask and snorkel so they can 'practice' in the bath or public pool.

Also to get ready for Christmas get clear glass balls you hang on the tree and paint the name of ship or island and kids names, on it and tell them you will collect some sand, shells etc. (Bring a couple ziplocs) when you go and it will be all ready to fill and hang when you get back. Nice trip souvenir they will remember every year when they hang them up. Underwater camera...

new hair pretties, cruise dresses, tie, goody bag they can only open on the airplane or car ride there, lip sun screen, hats, nightlight or glow light for cabin...

If you plan on snorkeling get them a mask and snorkel so they can 'practice' in the bath or public pool.

Also to get ready for Christmas get clear glass balls you hang on the tree and paint the name of ship or island and kids names, on it and tell them you will collect some sand, shells etc. (Bring a couple ziplocs) when you go and it will be all ready to fill and hang when you get back. Nice trip souvenir they will remember every year when they hang them up. Underwater camera...

new hair pretties, cruise dresses, tie, goody bag they can only open on the airplane or car ride there, lip sun screen, hats, nightlight or glow light for cabin...

I'll add flip flops..........:D

If you want something small enough to maybe fit into the block, for your DD do a charm a day for a charm braclet. Hobby Lobby and other craft stores have charms for as little as 99 cents each -- look for a sale and get them for less. Lots in tropical themes -- flip flops, starfish, sea horses, beach umbrellas, sunglasses, etc.

9YO is such a perfect age for jinglely jewlery!

Lanyard, underwater disposable camera, special jewelry/tie for formal night, Journal with stickers, puzzle books, cruise ship barbie or tropical themed Polly Pocket, hand held games, travel games, water bottle, mesh backpack that can fold up small in suit case and use on excursions/beach day, sunglasses, small sand toys, coupons redeemable to Mom/Dad for tatoos, souvineers, hair braiding, smoothies, video game tokens, etc.

We also got our daughter a clip on tube of hand sanitizer. They come in different colors and they're always handy to have.

Thanks Dengail for the Christmas ornament idea, I love it!!

Oh, also, on the 'making the most' thread, someone talked about a 'trip atlas' that they carry with them (and we will be too now!) that their kids take to the crew members and have them find their homes and tell them a little about them. I thought it sounded marvellous!!

How do you make a special tee? I couldn't find anything but the regular tees...

Buy some Jerzees t-shirts (anywhere, WalMart/Target). Buy "T-Shirt Iron Transfer Paper"...you can get it at Wal-Mart in the office/art supply aisle.

Then just create a design on your computer...print it out...and iron it onto the shirts.

Gift certificates like - This certificate good for one teddy bear from the gift shop. This certificate good for one drink of your choice on formal night (and before any says anything I don't mean alcohol). Or maybe good for a credit on the ship or some actual cash payable at request of the payee. Sometimes they just want to buy something that you think is stupid but they want it. This way you have to get it for them cos its part of the present. Makes them happy, you don't get to complain cos its a gift that you owe and probably would have bought anyway. Everyone wins. Maybe a shore excursion of your choice. Or a bathing suit of your choice (some article of clothing they want to wear but you said was too expensive and would probably break down and buy anway).

Ok, that just reminded me of a funny story. My DD was around 7 and was sitting in the lounge drinking a virgin strawberry margarita. This guy behind us taps us on the shoulder and points to my DD and says, "Excuse me, is that a virgin". Then he realized he was pointing to my 7 year old and was SO embarassed. Cracked us up.

• 4 weeks later...

We are using the Atlas Idea, the glass ball, snorkel gear in the tub and have started grandma on a list of small things for the trip for the nine year old girl. We have even met up with some other folks from our area with a 10 yr old that are going so we plan to meet them for lunch sometime before the cruise.

Are there more good hints and tips out there you are holding back on?? Don't be shy, post!

:D

Pirate items are all over the place in the ports you will visit. Go to the $$ store and pic up some great pirate things for them. I even saw tattoo "sleeves" in my dollar tree.

I like a lot of the other suggestions here - especially the snorkle and mask - I like having my own.

Archived