Tahati Nui Airlines

atir511

We were on the Sept. 21 cruise and were set to go home on October 2. When we got to the airport we were told the flight was delayed 2 hrs. due to maintence problems. Instead of leaving 10 PM we left midnight, which made us late for all of our other connects at LAX We were told by TNA to go to there counter when we arrived in LAX and they would handle rescheduling of our connections. At LAX, and waiting in line for half an hour we were told by a very rude counter person with TNA by the name of Aliance that it was not their problem to get us connecting flights that it was American Airlines problem. We went to AA and waited again half and hour or more in line and were told by them that it wasn't there problem either it was TNA problem because we were delayed. Once again back to TNA line for a a half hour, to be told by same rude counter person the same answer. I asked to see a supervisor and was told she would tell you the same and supposedly went to get her. She never made an appearance after 45 mins. we left. Here we are in limbo by both airlines. We went to the info desk as the airport and they were very help full and got a supervisor on the phone, who told us that it was TNA responsibility to get us to LAX and AA to book there after. Once again back to AA ticket counter, another half hour in line and we asked to see a supervisor. We were going back and forth from 11AM and now it is 3PM. According to the supervisor at AA the only flight she could get connections for LAX to IAH was 12:30 AM. Thanks to TNA we spent over 12 hrs. in the airport in LAX. I assume unknowing to us all they were going on strike and could care less about the customers. I will never fly TNA again.

There were others also left behind they just got fed up with going back and forth and just paid for another ticket on other airlines for fear they were going to be stranded.

Ia orana

Thank you for sharing your experience

veteran of 27 years of travel to FP (and 5 years faithfully with Atn) I must be then very fortunate never to have experienced any problem with Air Tahiti Nui. The nature of airline travel is always at the mercy of so many different elements from the technical, to human action or even act of god.

Two important travel rules for future travellers:

1/ Have your tickets issued in conjonction one with another (not 2 separate tickets stapled together) this would ensure the continuity of the service and also a level of protection in case odf a delay / flight cancellation.

2/ Travel insurance, travel insurance and at the risk of repeating myself, travel insurance. Life happens !

Bon voyage

meherio

Ia orana

picking up some thoughts shared recently on trip advisor:

Delays. lost luggage, lack of customer service skills ( in case of schedule delays and gate changes ) are a daily occurence in that industry.

An Airline canl make the difference by offering proper customer service training to a couple of key agents supervising the sub-contracted agents manning the counters at the airport is the least one would expect.

Recent flights brought a gate change and a schedule change with absolutely no announcements ( nor the customary " we are sorry for the delay for the flight, boarding will start in 30 minutes).

Solution : Keep the passenger informed ( better that guessing).

In one of my many past life and jobs, I managed a restaurant and had the simplest rule for my staff: Put yourself at that table. What is missing and what would infuriate you if you were having dinner and a great conversation to have to stop to grab the attention of the waiter for that extra bread, wine or water ?

I suddendly had offered that "Ghost" service where bread, butter, wine, water or attention of a waiter was omnipresent if needed and yet invisible if not needed.

The Same should apply to airline employees (They do travel and suffer the lack of service often themselves) What would you like to hear in case of a problem? How would you like to be treated in the same situation?

I recall the story from a family member on an Air Chance (name altered for the airline ) flight to Paris (when they still had a First class service / $ 12 000 ticket Mind you ) with only 3 passenger on the front of the Bus. The passenger had to ring the flight attendant several time before getting more bread and water during the meal service with the food getting cold..... Must have been a very busy time catching up between the flight attendants in the galley. No need to say, the same passenger now flies the airline with a flower on the tail to her yearly trip to France.

My days at AOM french airlines (another life, another job) provided that extra attention to my passengers in those moments whenever I could.

Is there a better seat or combination of seats available for that pregnant passenger? Do we have a special rate in a Hotel for that stranded passenger who missed the flight, etc,... The Funny thing is that I was making passengers feeling welcome and appreciated ( and attached to our service ) . At the same time the management of the airline considered my extra time wasted. (who was right then?) .

Nowaday the attitude of " it is not our responsability" and "help yourselves" or " check with the other airline if they can do something " comes too often on forum after a trip. Just check the" Airline" forum on trip Advisor, plenty of that there.

I am always amazed at the impact of that first and last contact before or after a trip that can make or absolutely destroy the entire trip impression for that long awaitted vacation to paradise. I would love to read more positive stories then the absolute flight from hell ones and the compulsory posts " I hate YYZ airline" or Don't fly with ABC" and my favorite: "Vavoom airline, never again!!!!!".

Managers at the counter have contacts to other airlines, most of the time a simple phone call can smooth corners and make the difference for the passenger. at least, in case of a delay with a passenger stranded, a simple indication to go to Hotel A or B at a preferred rate would already appease most passengers ( instead of having to pay the $ 149 -229 per night rate. (the airline get showered with coupons and offers in those emergency cases).

On a Positive note (yes there can be one) A recent looming action by an airline union to start a strike was kept updated every or so hours by the airline through their website. The negotiations lasted past the deadline, the information kept coming, both parties came to an agreement and flights flew as scheduled !

a a simple word to the management of that airline : Bravo ! That's the idea!

Time to put the mike down and get off the podium ( I think they are going to call for my flight soon)

Bon voyage

Meherio

Meherio - we have a friend whose a master chef and certified culinary educator (only ten of those in the U.S.) and he echos your advice. His one-liner for the situarion is: The answer is always yes, what's the question? He works hard to make sure his students are aware of things from a customer's angle. Communication is key in any industry - you think it's tough in the food or travel industries, try entertainment. I swear my current director conceived the miscommunication scenerio...oh, didn't I mention that?

Anyhow, the best thing to do when confronted with a horrific situation like the OP encountered is to write a firm, but polite letter to the company, then follow through with his threats to fly with another airline. If enough people complain and switch, eventually the message will get thorugh...one hopes...

Happy Sails!

Charlie

We were on the same cruise and same 2 hr late flight back to LAX. Our flights were booked thru Princess also. When we checked in at the airport in Papeete at 7pm, they told us the 10pm flight would be 2 hrs late... and it was... interesting... They also canceled our mid-day connecting AA LAX-Austin non-stop flight and booked us on a late evening AA LAX-Austin non-stop.

After arriving LAX approx 1.5 hrs late, we gathered our bags and proceded to the AA counter where we had 30 minutes to make our original flight to Austin. However we didn't meet the AA LAX requirement of checking bags in 45 minutes before the flight or we could have changed back to the original flight and been much happier.

The AA counter agent was very polite and courteous and booked us on a connection thru Dallas that was due to leave in 1 hour. This option was more appealing than waiting in the airport 5 hours for the non-stop that ATN had re-booked us on. We ended up getting home to Austin ~3 hours before the non-stop. The downer was our bags didn't make the DFW connection and didn't arrive home til the wee hours of the morning.

Bottom line is.... The ATN flight was as comfortable as can be expected for a 8 hour flight in coach. It would have been more enjoyable without the stress of knowing we couldn't make our LAX connection.

The airport checkin line was 1.5 hours long since we went with the herd of Princess transfers. It would be less time standing in line, but would have been an even longer wait at the airport if you did your own transfer and arrive earlier by Taxi.

Hi John and Deb,

Hope you enoyed the cruise, we certainly did. What a shame we didnt get to meet you, we met up with Jan and Lorian, Nancy and Bubba and Julie and Bill. We got on realy well with Julie and Bill and hope to meet up with them again one day on a cruise.

Hope your mother is ok and your child/house sitting arrangements worked well.

We were on the 11.30 flight fom Tahiti to LA and only had a 30min delay so I think we did better than you! We had an eight hour layover at LA before our flight to London. Our transfer to a day room at the LA Hilton didnt quite happen but we got a shuttle ok. Our flight to London was another 10 hours, a long flight but well worth it. Did you do any excursions on the cruise?

Penny.

Hi John and Deb,

Hope you enoyed the cruise, we certainly did. What a shame we didnt get to meet you, we met up with Jan and Lorian, Nancy and Bubba and Julie and Bill. We got on realy well with Julie and Bill and hope to meet up with them again one day on a cruise.

Hope your mother is ok and your child/house sitting arrangements worked well.

We were on the 11.30 flight fom Tahiti to LA and only had a 30min delay so I think we did better than you! We had an eight hour layover at LA before our flight to London. Our transfer to a day room at the LA Hilton didnt quite happen but we got a shuttle ok. Our flight to London was another 10 hours, a long flight but well worth it. Did you do any excursions on the cruise?

Penny.

Hi Penny,

We had a wonderful cruise also.

I can't believe we didn't meet up on the cruise. We ended up taking the Nono all-day excursion on Bora Bora with Jan, Loren, Nancy and Bubba, which we had pre-booked via the web.

My mother and our house-sitting arrangements ended up quite well. Thanks for the concern.

We are planning on posting a cruise critique when we get the time... but a brief synopsys of our excursions:

Kauai - Helicopter in the am, Waimea river-Fern Grotto in the pm.

Maui - Going to Kaanapali Beach then ziplining on the mountainside above there.

Big Island - Puna 4wd tour

Christmas - $10 truck tour to beach

Bora Bora - Nono all-day with the other CC folks.

Moorea - 4wd tour in the am, Catamaran snorkel tour in the pm.

Tahiti - 4wd tour in the am(in the rain).

And how was the cruise for you folks?

John

Archived