Opinions on Carnival Glory vs. RCCL Mariner of the Seas

DiggityDave3

I would like to take my family (including my 5 year old) on our first cruise but I'm having trouble deciding between a cruise on the Carnival Glory or on the RCCL Mariner of the Seas. Anyone have any advice as to which is a better experience? The itineraries are almost identical, except RCCL stops at their private island while Carnival goes to Nassau.

RCCL seems to have some interesting activities like the rock climbing, ice-skating, etc. but they are also a tad more expensive. Any of you experienced cruise lovers out there have any good advice for a newbie?

Our family just got off the Glory on Saturday (10/20/07), I am still feeling the ship rock!

We LOVED the Glory for our family. We sailed the Eastern Itinerary, which sounds like what you are considering. We found lots to keep us busy: swimming, swimming and more swimming, scavenger hunts, trivia games, family dance parties, ice cream socials, many Halloween activities, board games in the library, illusionist, family friendly magic show and comedian, the Pirate Museum and Straw Market on Nassau, Magan's Bay on St. Thomas, and shopping on St. Maarten, and much more.

We had a blast! We only used Camp Carnival on two short occassions, but we were never bored without it! I would be willing to answer any specific questions about the Glory you may have! Good luck with your decision, it is a great dilemma to have! :)

I have never been on carnival, but I did just get back from Mariner. If you are new to cruising, and you have the $$ go for the Mariner. From what I have been told by fellow cruisemates, the luxury and care can not be beat. Their kids clubs are beautiful! mariner is a lovely ship, and has TONS to offer! Good luck on your hunt.....any cruise is a good cruise though!

Well since debating Carnival verses RCCL seems to be a favorite pasttime on the RCCL board I have some recent threads on the subject...lol. Yes it's all in good fun. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=631554

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=646226

Personally I would do Mariner. Glory is just to "bright" for me. Look at the pictures on the thread and you will see what I mean.

Now as far as kid programs, my kids like each equally. But my kids prefer RCCL ships.

I know, I know, some people don't care about ship decor. Well I am not one of those people. To me, the whole decor leads to a better crusing experience. I like the "WOW" factor of the RCCL ships. :D

We just returned from the September 29 Glory cruise. I have a 9 year old son and a 7 year old daughter that we took along. They both had an absolutely GREAT time! None of us wanted to get off the ship. I've never been on an RCCL cruise but I would definitely highly recommend the Glory.

Lora

I just took my first cruise on The Mariner in Sept. I was also debating the same thing. However, I am sooooo happy I went with The Mariner. I have to say my favorite stop was Coco Cay(private island). It had something for everyone. My kids loved the water park and the snorkeling. Also, what is nice is that they serve you lunch(no extra cost) on the Island. My 8 year old DD loved Adventure Ocean as well as my boys 12 and 14. We tried ice skating,mini golf, inline skating and more. I definately would go on this cruise again. Whatever you choose, ENJOY!

I have to say my favorite stop was Coco Cay(private island).

Ohhhh me too! If I could go and stay at Coco Cay for a week, I would be happy. :D

Ya know, Coco Cay, Bahamas (IMO) is so much nicer than Labadee (RCCL's other private area in Haiti). The water is prettier. The sand is like powder. I just really like Coco Cay more.

I vote for the MOS. IMO Carnival has a water slide and better pizza and that is about it. If you are looking for a party,good pizza or a water slide then go with Carnival. If you are looking for anything else then go with RCCL. Again MO :) Not looking for a debate.

I have only been on 2 carnival cruises and 1 princess, my dh and i got married on glory a couple years ago but we didnt take the kids. This time i am taking my 2 that are 13dd and 11 ds.. i am contemplating which line also.

Out of Princess or Carnival, which did you like better? I notice alot of loyal Princess cruisers (like RCCL loyalist). So I was wondering how you thought they compare?

We liked princess but we werent overly impressed with the food.. oddly i hear the opposite but we seemed to try to find the buffetts in the evenings and they were closing or there wasnt much food like on carnival. I agree the decor on princess is much calmer and nice but we really felt that the service we got was about equal.

The entertainment on carnival was better we thought, princess had a repeat show which i found odd.. and we couldnt even get into the comedy shows.

Not that we had a bad time i just think overall our experience was better with carnival. I have to say i wasnt to impressed when we sailed mexican rivierra.. but i did give them a try again and loved it!

I was looking at going on liberty of the seas but not sure of the itinerary that i was wanting.. we are going in june and wanted a different itinerary.. not sure of sailing out of san juan?

We've been on both the Glory and the Mariner of Seas. IMHO I would suggest the Mariner, only because it is a bit bigger ship and there is a bit more to do. We had some issues on the Glory with noise (or cabin was over top of a piano lounge) -- I do have to say however that Carnival was very responsive to our complaints. We were in a Jr. Suite on the Mariner and it was fantastic. Service on both ships were comparable. Kids clubs were comparable. Food was comparable. The Mariner wins because of the rock climbing wall, ice rink (great ice show!), mini golf, Jonny Rockets and the Jr. Suite. RCCL is worth the extra money.

Archived