Fake Jewelry instead of real

Johnny789

What does it matter to anyone what jewelry I (or anyone else) wears on a cruise:confused:

It doesn't. Bring and wear what you feel comfortable with. I think the advantage of this thread is we can share tips on how to do it (no matter which way you prefer).:)

I use to take all my real jewelry, because I wanted to wear it when I was getting dressed up for formal nights. Then I lost my engagement ring while not wearing it, because we were at the beach. I still can't stand to think about it, it makes me so sad! I'll only take fake stuff on vacation now.

KT

How sad...I did read that somewhere and that is why I take fake too! You can replace stuff that you don't really care about but sentimental stuff like that there is no replacing it:( I am sorry that you lost it.

I use to take all my real jewelry, because I wanted to wear it when I was getting dressed up for formal nights. Then I lost my engagement ring while not wearing it, because we were at the beach. I still can't stand to think about it, it makes me so sad! I'll only take fake stuff on vacation now.

KT

That is sad. I am sorry.

I guess I just figure (as far as my wedding and engagement rings go) that I could lose a stone anywhere and any time. In fact, I did lose my engagement diamond in an OR once. I had taken the patient to Recovery and on the way back I noticed that I was wearing an empty setting. The OR had been mopped down and the next case started before I had a chance to try and look for it (the diamond). Amazingly someone found the stone on the OR floor!

From that point on I decided to accept that it was just a symbol and unless I was going to quit wearing it altogether - and even then - that something could happen to it. So I always have it with me and will enjoy wearing it as long as fate allows me to. :)

I guess I just figure (as far as my wedding and engagement rings go) that I could lose a stone anywhere and any time. In fact, I did lose my engagement diamond in an OR once. I had taken the patient to Recovery and on the way back I noticed that I was wearing an empty setting. The OR had been mopped down and the next case started before I had a chance to try and look for it (the diamond). Amazingly someone found the stone on the OR floor!

My mom always wears the diamond earrings that her late husband gave her. Several years ago, she lost one of them and didn't know where. She put in the claim for the insurance and went on with life. Later that summer her riding lawn mower got a flat tire. When the repair guy came to fix it, he showed her what had caused the flat tire - the diamond earring. She turned it into the insurance (because she'd already been reimbursed) but they let her keep it for sentimental purposes since the stone was damaged.

My mom always wears the diamond earrings that her late husband gave her. Several years ago, she lost one of them and didn't know where. She put in the claim for the insurance and went on with life. Later that summer her riding lawn mower got a flat tire. When the repair guy came to fix it, he showed her what had caused the flat tire - the diamond earring. She turned it into the insurance (because she'd already been reimbursed) but they let her keep it for sentimental purposes since the stone was damaged.

OMG - that tops me - big time! :D

Women WANT expensive jewelry.

Then, when the opportunity arises to show to off, they wear fake stuff?

How about from now on we buy FAKE stuff and them to to wear it and tell people the good stuff is at home?????

I knew it was a bad idea to post this stuff out in the open, where men could see it. Brilliant going, ladies. :mad:

The reason we its safer at home is its locked in a safe, and good nieghbors feed our cats and keep an eye open. There are not guarantees that the house will not be robbed but I know when we go on vacation we are enjoying ourselves and want to minimize our worries. As for the safes in hotels and cruise ships with the electronic keypad I do not trust them at all too easy for even an amateur crook to bypass.

I am a little surprised that I got so many replies for this thread.

I have seen many threads about what to pack, I would also like to mention that the past few years my wife has not been taking her real wedding ring or other expensive jewelry. She found a nice looking fake diamond ring for about $40.00. I even just bought a cheap band for myself. This is one less thing to worry about. I dont even take my good watch just bring a cheap one.

Here's another idea my supervisor uses when he travels. He has two wallets. One wallet holds his money, credit cards, driver's license, etc. The other wallet holds only two or three dollars and expired credit cards. He says if he is ever mugged he plans on turning over the second wallet with the useless junk in it. By the time the robbers realize the credit cards are expired he will be long gone. :D

I have seen many threads about what to pack, I would also like to mention that the past few years my wife has not been taking her real wedding ring or other expensive jewelry. She found a nice looking fake diamond ring for about $40.00. I even just bought a cheap band for myself. This is one less thing to worry about. I dont even take my good watch just bring a cheap one.

Here's another idea my supervisor uses when he travels. He has two wallets. One wallet holds his money, credit cards, driver's license, etc. The other wallet holds only two or three dollars and expired credit cards. He says if he is ever mugged he plans on turning over the second wallet with the useless junk in it. By the time the robbers realize the credit cards are expired he will be long gone. :D

Never thought to worry about it. My jewelry is insured. I have it because I enjoy it. I didn't get it for investment purposes. So to leave it at home or in a safe all the time would negate its purpose (for me :) )

I have it. I take it. I wear it. :D And if someone want to rob me - I will hand it (over). ;)

Hey I was gunna say that :)

I mean really, what are we paying the insurance premiums for? I'd be very heartbroken if anything were to happen to my wedding ring, but at least I know he can propose all over again and we can renew our vows if I have to get a new one :D

:eek: :eek: :eek:

NOOOOO WAY!

How awesome! What a great story :)

I knew it was a bad idea to post this stuff out in the open, where men could see it. Brilliant going, ladies. :mad:

ha ha ha

:D

if DH thinks that he can now get away with not ever buying good jewelry again, he's sadly mistaken ;)

(I'm still kicking myself for not getting that beautiful princess cut 3stone yesterday-today-tomorrow ring we saw in Turkey ..... :mad: )

ha ha ha

:D

if DH thinks that he can now get away with not ever buying good jewelry again, he's sadly mistaken ;)

(I'm still kicking myself for not getting that beautiful princess cut 3stone yesterday-today-tomorrow ring we saw in Turkey ..... :mad: )

Sounds like he needs to take you back there to retrieve it!:p

The only piece of sentimental jewerly I have is my mother's engagement ring which stays looked in a 1200 pound gun safe.

The rest of my stuff from Rolex and rings to two tennis bracelets ...I wear every day , every where.

If I am awake, it is on my body.

I think there is also a factor of whether people place a sentimental value on their jewelry.

For the most part, the expensive jewelry that I have are pieces that DH and I have gotten as enjoyment pieces (once we reached the point that the essentials - house, schooling, retirement, etc - were well undercontrol). So they are for fun and enjoyment. "Things" so to speak. Not things of real "personal" value.

My wife has a number of pieces that are sentimental value including some from those who are no longer with us. By wearing them we remember those people and all the fun we had. No one can ever "steal" those memories. You could lose these things at home or in a fire. Is the house keeper going to run and get them before she saves herself - don't think so. Why not enjoy them.

My wife has a number of pieces that are sentimental value including some from those who are no longer with us. By wearing them we remember those people and all the fun we had. No one can ever "steal" those memories. You could lose these things at home or in a fire. Is the house keeper going to run and get them before she saves herself - don't think so. Why not enjoy them.

Exactly. That is how DH and I look at my wedding and engagement rings. Unfortunately I do not have any older family pieces such as you describe. But I totally agree with how you and your DW feel about your pieces and could not have expressed it better. :)

I'm in the "it's just stuff" camp. Insured, to be sure, but still just stuff. have some lovely heirloom pieces that belonged to ancestors I never met. I don't dress up much anymore, so they either come with me on vacation or sit in the jewelry or safe deposit box, in which case there's no point in owning them IMHO.

Here's something no one has mentioned. I don't have any expensive jewelry, and I don't shop in ports, but for those who do (have good jewelry and also shop in ports), people on another board have said the clerks in the jewelry shops will size you up according to what they see you wearing. That (they say) affects the price they offer. Any comments on this?

As I said, it doesn't apply to me, but I have found this thread interesting and thought I'd throw out this comment I've read.

Here's something no one has mentioned. I don't have any expensive jewelry, and I don't shop in ports, but for those who do (have good jewelry and also shop in ports), people on another board have said the clerks in the jewelry shops will size you up according to what they see you wearing. That (they say) affects the price they offer. Any comments on this?

As I said, it doesn't apply to me, but I have found this thread interesting and thought I'd throw out this comment I've read.

If I know I am going to do some serious jewelry shopping. I remove the good stuff.

When we were young my wife bought costume jewelry but not now that we've spent our lives working.

Insurance coverage is the key. I want my wife in the 5ct diamond ring I gave her for our 30th. If it is lost then it can be replaced. Wear it if you have it!

Interesting thought. I would wonder if it could be the other way too. If they see only expensive jewelry they might think you don't know anything about the good stuff and will be an easy mark. Or that you aren't worth bartering with because you "obviously" ;) don't buy good jewelry.

On the other hand, if you have on more expensive jewelry they would know that you could be a serious buyer if they made it worth your while.

Who knows - I am sure they know all the angles in any case. :D :D :D

Archived