Kauai on Christmas

karatemom2

We will be on Kauai on Christmas Day onboard the Diamond Princess. We have reserved a rental car and plan to head north to Hanalei to spend the day. Will there be some markets or food establishments open where we can pick up lunch and snacks? I know we are not allowed to bring food from the ship so I am hoping even though it's Christmas that some services will still be open and available for tourists. Any suggestions appreciated!!

Well, that is a great question. I live on the island and can't think. There is a Walmart in Lihue that might be open. On the way up to Hanalei, you pass 3 grocery stores, 2 Foodlands and 1 Safeway. I would call the stores to see. Also, there is an ABC store in the Anchor Cove Mall right by the cruise terminal that almost certainly would be open. You can also check the hotels along the way. They will be open. I konw there is a great snack bar at the ALoha Beach Resort that has reasonable prices for lunch. Hope this helps!

All Walmarts are closed on Christmas day. The Safeway and Foodlands will probably be open until about 4 or 5pm. Kauai is very much like small town and most places will be closed for the holiday. You will be able to find restaurants in the major hotels that will be open.

We had the same problem though we were on a land vacation for 5 nights in Kauai... Xmas eve alot of places closed early and on Xmas a fair amount of restaurants that weren't directly linked w/hotels or mini-malls were closed.

I'd suggest calling ahead of time to plan, some places (nicer ones) you'll have to make ressies for dinner ahead of time (Roys etc. get booked up)

Good luck

Carolyn

Archived