Which port is best for Scuba on Western Cruise

kenzie

I am on Grand Princess Feb 08, visiting Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Princess Cays & Ocho Rios. I want to Dive as I am an Adventure Level diver but will be only certified diver in my family. My two daughters also want to do discover dive, aged 16 & 10. What port would be best to accommodate all, I have no equipment, can I rent and can anyone suggest dive companies. My last dive was August 2007.

My personal opinion would be Cozumel. My wife was a brand new certified diver and did her first open water dive in Cozumel and did fantastic. The water is so clear it can really calm a new, nervous diver. Also, the two outfits we have dove with, had excellent divemasters and captains.

Another thing that helps is that if you book off the ship. you can find operations that use six packs (that is what we use) so you get personal attention and don't feel rushed.

Grand Cayman is beautiful as well. We have done noth a shore dive (Devil's Grotto) and a boat dive in Grand Cayman. Both we great dives, but for the money, the shore dives are great. We paid for tank rental, gatorades, etc. and I think we spent maybe $20 and we had a blast. You can also snorkle. We also did their boat dive the first visit. And...its within walking distace of the pier.

Hope this helps.

The first and second time we dove, we dove with Deep Blue. Our first divemaster was Pepe and the second time was Sergio as Pepe was sick. They were both FANTASTIC and treated all of us fantastic though all of us had different skill levels from my wife being new to be working on my divemaster certification. Our captain was Roberto.

We kept in touch with Sergio and he switched so we dove with him the last time. But seriously, you can't go wrong with Deep Blue, we had a great time with them and Debra and her staff really follows through and treats her clients right. They operate six pack boats, have drinks and fruit, etc.

I dove in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Ocho Rios. Forget about Ocho Rios for diving. There isn't much to see. Go to the Dunns River Fall, and buy some Blue Mountain coffee while you're there.

Both Grand Cayman and Cozumel have world class diving. In Grand Cayman I used Neptune for 2 boat dives. I also saw Casey giving instructions to some Discovery scuba students. She was quite good. After the boat dives, I went back to Georgetown and walked 100 yards south of the pier to the Eden Rock site. There I met another diver, rented gears, and we dove there. It was an excellent shallow dive lasting just over 1 hr.

Cozumel was also great. Note that it's drift diving, so may not be suitable for beginners. We used Blue Angels for a combo dive/snorkel trip. Those remain my best dives ever.

Archived