Considering Scuba need some advice

morecruise4me

I've been snorkeling a couple of times and love it! The problem is I always see something a little further down I want to see! :( So I was thinking about trying the Discover Scuba just to see if I like it. I do have a problem. My DH, who is a diver, doesn't think I can handle the weight. I am in pretty good shape for my age, 47, but I have fibromyalgia, which does make my muscles tire more easily. I haven't had too much trouble snorkeling for an hour or more. Just a bit sore. Anyone else know if this could be a problem or is this something that others have done with similar conditions?

I've been snorkeling a couple of times and love it! The problem is I always see something a little further down I want to see! :( So I was thinking about trying the Discover Scuba just to see if I like it. I do have a problem. My DH, who is a diver, doesn't think I can handle the weight. I am in pretty good shape for my age, 47, but I have fibromyalgia, which does make my muscles tire more easily. I haven't had too much trouble snorkeling for an hour or more. Just a bit sore. Anyone else know if this could be a problem or is this something that others have done with similar conditions?

I suppose the best way to know is to try it on a limited basis.

I'm going to presume that you have dive shops in your area, which will provide instruction, equipment beyond your mask and fins, and hopefully an indoor (or some other controlled environment) training facility.

There you can see what the burden is to move around on dry land with the scuba gear, and then experience the same load in the water...

If you find it to be manageable, and not psychologically intimidating, you're on your way to certification.

Of course you should get an opinion from your doctor first, but you knew that, didn't you?? ;)

I echo the above post.. Go to your local dive shop if you have time before you sail.... They generally do a discover scuba in a pool, in a controlled environment.. You can work with the gear and see if it's too much.... I don't think you could handle diving from the beach. That gear is heavy and carrying it a pain. But once your in the water, your "almost" weightless. . Your gravity changes and it's not like on land. Be sure to ask your Dr. too... I haven't seen anything in DAN (divers alert network) about Fibromyalgia..... But you won't know until you try..... Good luck....it's awesome down there.....

Thanks for the info. My daughter is a doctor:) and definitely won't let me do anything that woudl hurt me. I don't think there are any dive shops around here though. We live in a small town in WV. My husband took up diving while we were stationed in the Boston area. Sounds like I might have to stick with snorkeling. But since I love it so much, I am willing to live with that if I have to. Any hints on making my snorkeling experience the best it can be? We'll be in Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Halfmoon Cay next March.

Thanks for the info. My daughter is a doctor:) and definitely won't let me do anything that woudl hurt me. I don't think there are any dive shops around here though. We live in a small town in WV. My husband took up diving while we were stationed in the Boston area. Sounds like I might have to stick with snorkeling. But since I love it so much, I am willing to live with that if I have to. Any hints on making my snorkeling experience the best it can be? We'll be in Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Halfmoon Cay next March.

Also look at Snuba, this way you dont have to carry all the gear. Another option is the SeaTrek helmet excursion.

Dave

Your gravity changes and it's not like on land.

Okay....sorry for being the engineering nerd ;)

The earth's gravity does not change if you are in water or land. It is basically constant. The difference in the water is your bouyancy.

On topic...take a look at http://www.padi.com/padi/common/dcnr_distance/Default.aspx

Appears there is only 3 PADI dive shops in VW. How close the the state lines are you?

I had taken Discover Scuba twice before I got my open water certification. The Discover Scuba will last about 2.5 hours.

I looked at the link and we live about 1 1/2 hours south of the nearest PADI shop in PA. I'm not sure it would be worth the drive up for ongoing training, but I think I'll go check it out and see if I can find a good mask and snorkel. Using the rented stuff is gross:eek: I get up to Pittsburgh at least once a month to visit my daughter, so I'm familiar with the area. I'm considering the snuba, too. It looks like fun, but I do like the freedom to go where I want and not be "tied" down (or is it up?) :confused:

I'm not sure where you are located in West Virginia, but there is a PADI dive shop in Frederick, Maryland. I know they have several divers that come from WV. They also have discover scuba classes so you could try it out first.

In St. Thomas, you can try snuba for $68. It's almost scuba, expect you don't carry a tank, and still breath underwater. Your "regulator" is attached to a 20' hose that goes to the air tank that floats.

Or try a Discovery scuba course there, with Coki Beach Dive Club. My BIL did that and really enjoyed it.

This Aug., before our Carnival Destiny cruise, we were in Puerto Rico. In a dive trip out of Rincon to Desecheo Island, we met a diver in a wheel chair. He was certified 20 yrs ago, but then had a motorcycle accident. He became paralyzed from the chest down. That time he got re-certified at a local dive shop, then came to PR. He dived with us. When it came time to dive, The DM helped him into the water first, then helped him put on the gears while in water. He wore gloves, and used his hands to "paddle".

That was inspiring to see. I actually just sent him the pics I took of him underwater.

PADI doesn't have to be your only choice for a shop as well... NAUI, SSI and others are out there.

Try this... one should be close to you!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=scuba&near=west+virginia&ie=UTF8&ll=37.68382,-74.421387&spn=13.06504,20.43457&z=6&om=1

This one is close to Pittsburgh, might work?

http://velasdiving.com/

Thanks, Booth22. It seems I live about 2 hrs from everywhere! Pitt is almost 2hrs north, Charleston, 2hrs south, Parkersburg about 1:45 west. I have to drive to Pitt just to shop at a good mall! Now that my DD lives up there, I don't mind too much, though. :)

I was born with Spina Bifida and walk with 2 leg braces and a cane. I have found that once I am in the water (have always been a good swimmer) that all the crap on my back is no problem. I usually talk with the dive shop ahead of time to let them know I have mobility issues. They are always willing to help me out. I usually gear up sitting on the dive platform and do a modified roll into the water. When I surface, I hand ALL my gear up to someone and climb out.

Try a discover scuba with a local dive shop in a pool to see if you can handle it. That way you don't get a dissapointment when you try it on vacation.

Mike

Everyone else is right. Do what you are comfortable with. However, when you are completing your pre-dive paperwork which includes medical history be prepared for this. If you check "yes" to any medical questions they will not take you diving without a letter from your physician which okays you for diving. Get this at home because you really don't want to pay to see the ship's doctor.

I highly recommend that you try out scuba before you go on the cruise. The discover scuba tours can be dangerous, I did one in Bermuda with Blue Water Divers. The pre-dive "lesson" was much too short and not well planned. As a result I ruptured both eardrums and had a lot of pain for a couple of days, and trouble hearing for the rest of the cruise. While it is possible to have a good experience on the discover scuba tours, it is also possible to have a very bad experience. I would advise caution, and if it is worth it to you, make the 2 hour drive to a dive shop in WV for help.

Archived