SY 5001-5002 HC forward cabins

Sea Island Lady

I noticed that one of these cabins is available for our sailing and was thinking that my parents might like to switch from their SS to this one. My Dad could really use a handicap accessible bathroom. Looking at photos of cabin 5002 from stungazed, I noticed something that has me worried. :eek: Does the ramp going out to the balcony look like a major tripping hazard? I can just see someone getting out of bed (especially at night) and tripping over the edge of the ramp. Is the ramp as close as it looks to the bed?

I have to wonder about the designers mentality on these forward HC cabins. :rolleyes:

#1 - A possible tripping hazard with the ramp.

#2 - A toilet in the shower.

#3 - A cabin on the bow that would make balancing a struggle during rough weather.

#4 - A location that is 17 cabins away from the nearest elevator.

Other than the above issues, it's a nice cabin. Thoughts? Has anyone with mobility issues stayed in one of these cabins and how did you do?

Photographs from the Photobucket of stungazed

NoordamStateroom5002001.jpg

NoordamStateroom5002007.jpg

I stayed in this room with my mom and a good friend, and this room was great. You have 5002 in the image so that's the EXACT room we were in.

My mom had a narrow 3 wheeled scooter and with bed in queen config. you could drive between the bed and the ramp. There is a small "lip" where the door frame is so if someone with you literally "shuffles" their feet it may be a MINOR issue.

Your second pic doesn't show that there's a tub/shower to the left of where your image stops. It's a taller tub lip than I've seen in other rooms, but also a really nice, DEEP tub that even fit me really good. 6' 250lbs+

If you use the accessible shower a couple things to note:

-----TAKE THE TP OFF THE ROLL BEFORE YOU START THE SHOWER! :)

We realized this when we tried taking the first one... The room steward kind oif chuckled but replaced the wet roll right away.

-----It'll be a little dark with the shower curtain pulled.

Not SOOO bad you can't manage, but a good FYI. Luckily there's 2 strips across the floor (your pic BARELY starts to pic up one of them) with drains so you don't HAVE to have the curtain pulled. There was also a shower stool under the sink if someone wanted to use the tub/shower.

-----You have a VH-VA sized balcony, not a SZ-SS size balcony

But you can always go out forward as the door to get there is literally around the corner once you're out of your room. Note: That threshold is about shin-height so if there's not SOME mobility it may not be possible to go out there. The window you caught in the mirror reflection overlooks that forward viewing deck and is VERY tinted. I pressed my face against it during the day time and couldn't see anything. It's a little weird watching the occasional person go by, but there are no privacy concerns.

-----You're a little ways from the elevators...

But as this is a WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE room, it's presumed the person with mobility issues is in a chair and the bit of a distance won't be a bother to them. On medium speed in my mom's rental it took her about 45 seconds to a minute to get to the forwasrd elevators.

-----There's a little noise from the anchor and vibration from thebow thrusters

But then again you ARE all the way forward... It's not a huge deal, but somthing you ought to know about.

All in all?

I liked the room and it worked out GREAT for my mom. I've been in SC 5187 on the Oosterdam and this ROOM was almost identical in size. Obviously the balcony is MUCH different.

I would do the room again if going with my mom... And if I needed it for myself, it would be a great one to have.

Thank you! That's some great information. The photo of the ramp must be deceiving! I'll just pass all of this to my parents and see what they think. They have stayed in a HC before - and loved it! However, whenever I ask them if they want to try another one, they decline. My Dad is already walking with a cane, so who knows what shape he will be in come next June.

I guess what I was thinking with the elevator distance would be that in an emergency...getting to the bathroom in a hurry would be out-of-the question. On RCCL, some of the HC rooms are right outside of the elevator bank.

Here are photos of the other areas you mentioned in case someone else is following this thread. One other difference that I noticed is that there is only one sink, versus the two in a regular SY.

Jade13 - Crew cabins? I didn't know this... are they officer quarters?

stungazed - I hope you don't mind my posting all of your photos!

NoordamStateroom5002006.jpg

NoordamStateroom5002005.jpg

NoordamStateroom5002004.jpg

NoordamStateroom5002002.jpg

NoordamStateroom5002003.jpg

Archived