Camera/Binoculars

cleo656

Are you referring to those 10x25 or similar binoculars with a camera in the middle? I have tried them before. The binoculars quality is mediocre at best with rather dimming image. Camera quality is really qualified as "poor". Imagine you need to wait 1-2 second after click before the image can be recorded (try to persuade the whale to stand still for 1 second for a good shot). You will be better off with a regular fixed magnification binoculars with a separate digital camera (don't have to be fancy).

I do like this concept. But unless Canon or Nikon starts producing this combo, I will stay away from others.

Hope this helps.

I owned a pair for a short time...terrible camera and sub-optimal binoculars.

You can acutally take very reasonable photos using a compact digital camera held right up to the eyepiece of spotting scope or good pair of binoculars...I do this all the time, and have ended up with wonderful and clear shots of distant birds and wildlife.

If you're into photography as a hobby, you can use a SLR camera (film or digital) with a long zoom lens attached. For example I have a 70-300mm zoom lens. The zoom lens paired with your autofocus make a great substitute for binoculars. And you won't have to set down your binoculars to take a photo. :D

If you're into photography as a hobby, you can use a SLR camera (film or digital) with a long zoom lens attached. For example I have a 70-300mm zoom lens. The zoom lens paired with your autofocus make a great substitute for binoculars. And you won't have to set down your binoculars to take a photo. :D

Well, they are different. I always took my Canon 100-400 lens with me for birding trip. But I rarely use the camera as a finder or try to do bird watching. A fixed magnification binocular does a much better job to locate the object and provide a more pleasant viewing exprience. I always use binoculars first, then switching to camera later. :)

Archived