Cake

Inquiring minds want to know...how on Earth do you pack a cake in any sort of luggage?! :confused: Do they provide you a sturdier box than the typical cake box?

No, they dont provide you nay kind of box. This is strictly smuggling!

Well, you could pack an empty shoe box specifically for this task. You could even go to a bakery and get a (flattened) cake box and bring it along, just for this task.

If I did neither of those, I would probably pack some plastic wrap (off the roll, more than I would need) wrap the cake in the plastic wrap, and then maybe bootleg an RCCL towel to wrap around the cake too. then, if it were me, I would specifically hold back a tote bag, put the cake on the bottom of a tote bag and be very careful with it as I carried it off.

Now, of course you are going to have some wear and tear on the cake. that cant be avoided. But, if you want to get your cake off, that is the price you pay.

I could also see wrapping the cake in saran wrap, then in a towel, and packing it at the top of my rolling carry-on bag, the one that I am carrying off.

If you are crafty enough about it, you can zip the bag most of the way up, insert the cake into the bag so that, if the bag were laying down, the cake would be on it's side, zip the bag the rest of the way up and then never lay the bag down.

OR

you could place the cake (all saran wrapped up) flat, in the bottom of the bag, and just make sure you never stand the bag upright. Always leave it laying down, except when you are rolling the bag - and then, even keep it low.

SAS...You are so funny!! :D You always have the best smuggling advice!! We should all listen to you...you are the only person I have ever heard of that brought a whole watermelon full of booze!!:cool:

Diana

SAS...You are so funny!! :D You always have the best smuggling advice!! We should all listen to you...you are the only person I have ever heard of that brought a whole watermelon full of booze!!:cool:

Diana

LOL, really, the watermelon sucked. It was all vodka in the center and none near the edges... But, really, I just wanted to see what would happen. They are never going to kick you off of a ship as long as you are reasonable.

In the case of the watermelon, I was fully prepared to leave it in the garbage at the port. If questioned, I was going to try and say it was "for the baby" but, if they noticed the booze hole, and figured it out, I would have left it behind without raising an issue!

In the case of the cake, the same line of thinking should work just fine. If you do smuggle cake off, and they (for some weird reason) want to look in your carry-off bag, if they find it, feign stupidity ("what? I cant bring it home?") and agree empathetically that it should be left in the trash at the port.

simple

SAS..you kill me..I want to bring some booze aboard..should I risk it and put those little plastic bottles in my luggage? or should I do it in the carry on with all the wedding stuff??

Always buy a fresh bottle of (unopened) booze

slip the bottle into a leg of your jeans and then wrap the jeans around the bottle. If you are uneasy about this, then find some small bubble bubble wrap to wrap the bottle in.

It's always best to purchase your liquor after you land, if you are flying to your departure port. I say this because the weight of the liquor will add to the weight of your checked luggage - and you only have a 50 pound, per bag max. Be sure to weight your bags on your home scale and adjust accordingly.

(get on the scale, weight yourself, then grab the bag and see how much you & the bag weigh)

Always pack your liquor (jean or bubble wrapped) in the very center of your bag. Make sure the bottle, plastic or glass, is surrounded by clothes for padding.

Always give your booze bag to the porter at the pier to have it delivered to your stateroom. never try to hand carry on booze. the xray guys will always see it and make you leave it (for them to drink later).

Make sure you tip your porter guy well for carrying your heavy(ier) booze bag.

We've smuggled jack and crystal light on board, and made our own lemonade, but you can also order a pitcher of lemonade from room service. You can smuggle vodka and ask room service to bring you a pitcher of cranberry too.

For my wedding cruise, I don't know how many bottles of tequila and mix my uncle smuggled on, along with a hand crank blender... We had room service deliver ice and we had margaritas in his room for happy hour every night!

We do, actually, buy some drinks on board, but we mainly drink our own booze.

OMG! No one asked about smuggling alcohol. GlowingBride wanted to know if she can take the top of her wedding cake!

To answer your question glowingbride, I was married on Carnival Fantasy two years ago (on Christmas day) and YES, they do allow you to take the cake. I choose not to because I had so much other stuff to take off the ship, it seemed like too much hastle. In fact, the Carnival staff was a bit surprised that I wasn't taking it with me.

Hope your wedding is as awesome as mine was! ;)

Actually I asked SAS....and she was kind enough to answer the question...I figured since I was just posting to use this thread!!!So it was a valid question...that SAS was kind enough to answer!!

Didn't mean to get your panties in a wad! Next time I will start a new thread!!:D

Actually I asked SAS....and she was kind enough to answer the question...I figured since I was just posting to use this thread!!!So it was a valid question...that SAS was kind enough to answer!!

Didn't mean to get your panties in a wad! Next time I will start a new thread!!:D

Wadded panties....man, I hate that! :rolleyes::p:D

Wadded panties....man, I hate that! :rolleyes::p:D

One instance where commando might not be a bad thing! :p ;)

To keep this "on topic", I'll probably forego bringing my cake back home. While SAS is definitely the smuggling queen (and I'm the cheap queen...we should make a new monarchy! lol) I'm not sure I'll have the free hands or luggage room to haul a cake back. We're having a reception when we get home so I'll probably keep that layer instead. That just has to go in the truck and go home! :)

We were married 4/27/07 and were informed more than once that we could not take the cake home with us. Carnival said it was due to the custom issues and no food was allowed off the ship after the cruise. Now if you have the extra room, and are brave enought to try, by all means smuggle!:) They were nice enough to save what was left of our cake and offer it to us and our guests as a dessert option at dinner for the rest of the cruise.:) Our cake was really good, and we had 65 guests so there wasn't much left after the reception. Everyone was glad for the chance to get another piece and by the second night's dinner we were out of cake.

I Don't Understand Why See Can Not Take The Cake With Her. The Signs That Are Posted When You Go Thru Custom's Say No Meats Or Fresh Fruits. It Does Not Say Anything About Other Items. I Took Some Rice Crispy Treats Home.:d

Archived