Tipping

fenreed

Karen R UK

Hi Karen, and thank you for the invite to this part of the forum!

I unfortunately asked a question (on the part of the forum that is mostly enjoyed and populated by our friends over the Pond).

The furore that my original post generated was not my original intention, which was merely to elucidate the level that one should tip, but clearly it hit a high or low spot on other cruisers mindset!

My wife and I are cruising with Cunard on 21 Dec this year for 16 nights on the new Queen Victoria. The auto-tip arrangement in place by Cunard means we automatically get a 'discretionary' tip add to our on-board account of $11 (US) per day per person added to our account, ($352), plus, $15% on any drinks we buy, (inclusive of water and soft drinks we presume).

Cunard do not say what part of this tip the 'discretionary' bit applies to............!

The main question here, aimed mainly at British people, is, 'how much total tip for two people, would one give for the duration of the cruise, in addition to the auto-tip, to one's

a. Steward

b. Main waiting at table person

c. Assistant waiting at table staff

d. The head waiter

e. The maitre'd

Thanks, I await your considered responses!

Fenreed

The auto tip covers all the folks you listed and then some, supossedly. That said, us "tip happy" Colonials usually add a bit extra for very good service. I also tip for room service, a minimal amount $1 for coffee, more for full breakfast etc. If you leave the auto tip in place the rest is up to you. Some do and some do not.

B.

Karen R UK

Hi Karen, and thank you for the invite to this part of the forum!

I unfortunately asked a question (on the part of the forum that is mostly enjoyed and populated by our friends over the Pond).

The furore that my original post generated was not my original intention, which was merely to elucidate the level that one should tip, but clearly it hit a high or low spot on other cruisers mindset!

My wife and I are cruising with Cunard on 21 Dec this year for 16 nights on the new Queen Victoria. The auto-tip arrangement in place by Cunard means we automatically get a 'discretionary' tip add to our on-board account of $11 (US) per day per person added to our account, ($352), plus, $15% on any drinks we buy, (inclusive of water and soft drinks we presume).

Cunard do not say what part of this tip the 'discretionary' bit applies to............!

The main question here, aimed mainly at British people, is, 'how much total tip for two people, would one give for the duration of the cruise, in addition to the auto-tip, to one's

a. Steward Nothing unless exceptional service (maybe a fiver/tenner at the end if they've been really helpful and nice)

b. Main waiting at table person Nothing unless exceptional service

c. Assistant waiting at table staff Nothing unless exceptional service

d. The head waiter Nothing unless exceptional service

e. The maitre'd Nothing unless exceptional service

Thanks, I await your considered responses!

Fenreed

Sorry I'm sounding negative but it is my considered response.

Please allow the staff on board the chance to show you how good they are before tipping as some in the US do, sometimes as soon as they get on board! :rolleyes:

The $11 per day can be taken off if you wish but I left it on so I didnt have to fret about tipping, we received good service and in the end filled out the service card for our room steward and thats all. If we had received really really good service of course I would have enjoyed leaving something, Im hoping to on my next cruises (for room steward).:)

(To tell the truth day of disembarkation was a bit rushed I didnt get round to leaving something).

Enjoy your trip and dont worry about tipping.

I will be cancelling the auto tip at the pursers office for our cruise on 20th November, it seems bizarre that we tip prior to getting the service that should be expected as standard. I will of course reward good service at the end of the cruise.

Just a tip for those travelling with small children. We took off our sons autotip because we only ever used the lido, and Golden Lion once, with him. What we did with it though is gave it directly to the nursery staff because they are not covered by the auto tip and as that is the service we felt deserved it the most we did what we feel was the right thing. I am also guessing that they don't often get tips as they have been surprised both times!

Karen R UK

Here is an average of what I will tip over the auto-tip:

a. Steward 10$pp/week (or more if I have any special request at all... more towels as an example)

b. Main waiting at table person (generally no more tips)

c. Assistant waiting at table staff (generally no more tips)

d. The head waiter (generally no more tips, except if I request something special like a second serving of dessert, then i leave an extra dollar or so).

e. The maitre'd (generally no more tips)

Just a tip for those travelling with small children. We took off our sons autotip because we only ever used the lido, and Golden Lion once, with him. What we did with it though is gave it directly to the nursery staff because they are not covered by the auto tip and as that is the service we felt deserved it the most we did what we feel was the right thing. I am also guessing that they don't often get tips as they have been surprised both times!

What an excellent idea! I will certainly do the same on our next cruise.

You mean God gets tips? I thought it was rude (or an insult) to tip the owner of an establishment <LOL>

God had two attempts at creating tips. The first time there was a misunderstanding, and that is why to this day we have to eat asparagus on cruise ships. Yuk.

Archived