Advice for a young family

Frankie Sue

A young family that we know would like to book their first cruise and they think that the Carribean would be the ideal itinerary for their family with sea days and beach days for the kids. They would also cruise from New York which would be a handy short drive away.

Their question is that they have 3 young children ranging in age from 9 to 4 and

after different Agency and Cruise Line websites they have not seen any cabins offered that could accommodate “5”. So I said that I would ask my knowledgeable CruiseCritic friends.

Do you know which Cruiseline could accommodate a family of 5. I’m sure that they won’t be the first couple to cruise with 3 children.

Looking forward to your replies.

Frankie Sue

I know that Royal Carribbean ships have "family outside cabins" which can accomodate up to 6 people (in very tight quarters), as well as more spacious family suites. The Explorer of the Seas leaves from Bayonne, so it's convenient. We sailed in a family outside cabin in September, and it could definitely accomodate the parents and 3 small children.

Sometimes there are rooms available for more than 4 people, but you cannot automatically book them online, but have to call in person. However, I don't believe that HAL has any rooms (except maybe some sort of super suite) that can accomodate groups larger than 4. Another option would be for them to get connecting rooms (again, something that you can't do by yourself online, have to get a TA to do it)- they can keep the connecting door open, and have the children in the other room, if they feel comfortable doing that.

Here is the link to the Family Cruising forum, where you can get a lot more advice and information on cruising with small children- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Yes most certainly.

Carnival Victory accomodates five that is the only one I am aware of. I booked a balcony with 2 adults and three children. Kids ages 8 and 9. We were all OK.

Try Carnival's other ships you may get lucky. Because of fire codes they did away with many cabins fitting five. I went 7 years ago with five in a Cabin. Good Luck I will be on the Noordam 3/19/08 four in a Veranda VB it will be tight but managable.

Archived