Dinner and Diabetics

CardinalPilot

I'm diabetic and need to take an injection 15-45 minutes prior to eating. Just wondering if I will have time to take the injection in my room, make my way to the dining room, and start eating within that time period. If it's much longer than that, I'll need to excuse myself to go find a rest room to shoot up.

So a couple of questions regarding meals?

1) How long standing in line for your seating?

2) How soon before you order and receive your food?

3) Are there close by facilities near the dining rooms to use?

Thanks!

For the main dining room, bread is placed on your table within 30 seconds of your sitting down. Your first appetizer appears 10-15 minutes after you order it. Call Carnival's Special Needs Department for further assistance

That surely adds another element to dinner doesn't it.

With my daughter, when we take her out (before she started the insulin pump), she would usually just take her shot at the table (she is really good at doing it so very few people pay attention). Now this wasn't on a cruise, because we haven't taken her yet, but just in regular eating circumstances.

Can't answer about the wait times, but my DH also shoots up at the table, very discretely. No one has ever noticed. :rolleyes: I always hate it when he takes it ahead of time because if it takes longer than planned to get dinner the next thing you know he's in a cold sweat looking rather out of it. I would think after the first night you'd have a good idea of how the timing plays out. But if there is bread at the table at least you've got something.

Mel

Can't answer about the wait times, but my DH also shoots up at the table, very discretely. No one has ever noticed. :rolleyes: I always hate it when he takes it ahead of time because if it takes longer than planned to get dinner the next thing you know he's in a cold sweat looking rather out of it. I would think after the first night you'd have a good idea of how the timing plays out. But if there is bread at the table at least you've got something.

Mel

Yeah - I have the same problem. With mine at least it's the newer style injectable pen and I don't have to fill the needle out of a bottle. There was one time though where my wife threatned if the waiter didn't bring our food soon she was stealing something off the plate of the guy at the next table. :D

Thanks!

YOu do not have to stand in line to get into the dinng room unless you are early and the doors are not open yet, if you leave your cabin about 1 minute before dining time, you will not have to wait to get in.

you should start receiving bread within minutes of sitting down.

Usually there is a restroom near by.

I'm diabetic and need to take an injection 15-45 minutes prior to eating. Just wondering if I will have time to take the injection in my room, make my way to the dining room, and start eating within that time period. If it's much longer than that, I'll need to excuse myself to go find a rest room to shoot up.

So a couple of questions regarding meals?

Thanks!

I'm diabetic also. Just shoot up at the table. No one cares if you take care of yourself and if they do just explain 'I'm diabetic'. It is a very common disease.:D

You won't be waiting 45 minutes to get something to eat. In the few cruises we have taken, we've never experienced a long delay in getting our dinner. In one instance, the waiter FORGOT to ask me what I wanted to order. I sat there waiting for him to take my order while he was bringing everyone else's dinner to them. That's another story of the cruise from hell I once experienced. I'm diabetic too, but do not take the shots. However, I plan to let the waiter know--not to be treated better than anyone else, but like you, I don't want the sweating and shakes. You'll be okay.

Yeah - I have the same problem. With mine at least it's the newer style injectable pen and I don't have to fill the needle out of a bottle. There was one time though where my wife threatned if the waiter didn't bring our food soon she was stealing something off the plate of the guy at the next table. :D

Aren't the new pens an awesome addition to diabetic care? I really agree then, that you could easily dial up your insulin amount and give yourself an injection at the table. If people give you a hard time, they can find another table. The insulin is your lifeline and you shouldn't have to change the way you take care of yourself on the cruise.

I would also imagine, if you let the your waiter know the first night that you are a diabetic, he or she will make sure you at least have your bread and appetizer in a timely manner.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!:D

My 78 yr old Mom does just fine. She's not comfortable injecting at the table so she injects just before she leaves her room. As others have said, the bread comes rather quickly, and if you told your waiter of your needs, it would probably be there the minute you walked through the door. Don't stress-do whatever makes you comfortable-and healthy; your room, the bathroom outside the dining room, or the dining room.

At the risk of riling people up--please don't inject yourself at the table. I'm diabetic, and I'd never dream of doing an injection no matter how discreet at the table. I'm sure the restrooms are clean, and while it's not my favorite place to do my injection, it will do in a pinch. With this age of blood borne diseases and other people's comfort levels, please see how things work out the first night, and adjust your plans accordingly. If bread comes to the table quickly it shouldn't be a problem.

Archived