Lost and Found Dept... My Formal Dress!

fosse7

Anyone ever have this happen?

I went to look for my formal gown two days ago, and Nada! It's not in this house. I was devistated. It's beaded so I don't hang it, and very likely I left it on our last cruise folded on top of the shelves!!! I was (and still am) hearbroken.

DH insisted I go get another... he really is wonderful. I didn't think I'd find anything even remotely acceptable to replace it. However? First store, first dress I tried on: (note, this is not me in this picture)

G2SMa8b4aec7-21cc-4b38-ab7b-9b89ffa.jpg

It is an actual wedding dress, but it's ivory- and I have just lost weight and the cut flatters everything good about my figure. I am still upset with myself for losing the first one, but this certainly helps.

I am thinking of just wearing off white pumps with this. I know that there is really no neck jewelry I should add- - suggestions for earrings or bracelets? I know the obvious is pearls but would anyone do anything different?

Thanks!

I don't think I would go with pearls, that would be too weddingish for me. Maybe a wide gold cuff bracelet and longer earrings. I don't know about the silver shoes if the dress is ivory. When I got unpacked on our last cruise I kept looking for my white sleeveless wrap top and I never did find it. Hubby kept telling me that I must have left it at home, but it's not here. I think I left the white top in the white sheets and bedspread at the hotel that morning when we were in a hurry repacking to fit his dad's case of beer into our suitcase after picking it up from the airport that same morning since it had gotten on the wrong plane.:(

Pretty dress! Since it's ivory, and warmer than true white, I would go with strappy gold sandals and simple long gold earrings. not even a hoop. And a simple gold bracelet or cuff. Keep everything on the "warm color" side for this dress.

Hello again,

You are all so helpful! Thanks for the suggestions. I'm certain the old dress is not at the cleaners; I am fairly certain that I left it onboard, ugh.

I have another question... for a bracelet, I do have a plain large gold bangle, but I wonder if the below would work... it's an heirloom I have always wanted to wear but never seemed to have quite the right outfit. Is it too much? Thanks again for all your advice!

robbiepeggysuejewelry015.jpg

I was going to suggest the drycleaners too but looks like you have thought about that.

You didnt lend it to someone did you?

some one had a nice find.

The bracelet is different, and very beautiful, would it snag on your dress.

what if you left that behind in the safe? still, heirlooms are for enjoying and i think you would enjoy wearing it with your new special dress. Is there a story behind the bracelet with the little carriage attached

The bracelet is different, and very beautiful, would it snag on your dress. what if you left that behind in the safe? still, heirlooms are for enjoying and i think you would enjoy wearing it with your new special dress. Is there a story behind the bracelet with the little carriage attached

That's what I was thinking that it looks like it would snag the dress. It's very interesting and pretty, I've never seen anything like it.

The bracelet is too much for the dress. Keep the jewelry simple, the dress is the focal point.

My daughter and I were walking in the mall the other day and noticed a very pretty girl who looked a little bit ridiculous she had so much going on. She was pretty enough to be noticed no matter what she was wearing, but the combination took away from her presence rather than admiration, she was getting people gawking. A top that had sparkles and cut outs, huge dangly earrings, sparkly rope necklaces, several heavy bracelets on each wrist, a belt with silver studs, tight jeans that were faded in spots, high heeled boots also with silver studs. All of her choices were actually nice, just not together! I'm not a fan of shirts with cut outs, but everything else my daughter or I could have chosen one of the pieces to wear at a time.

One focal point is plenty no matter what style, formal, casual or anywhere in between.

Thanks so much for the additional replies!

The bracelet was my mother's. She didn't get to wear it often, and hated that. Oh, how she shined on the few occasions I saw it on her! It was truly something special to her... I think Dad gave it to her early on in their marriage.

After my Mom died, I was going through some of her things. I found a shirt I gave her that still had the tags on it. She had previously told me she was "saving it for a special occasion"... well, the occasion never came.

I told myself I did not want to ever do that, so if an occasion approaches where I can wear some great things I would. I think that's part of my love affair with cruising.

I do have a simple wide gold bangle to wear instead (also Mom's), but it would be great to incorporate the carriage bracelet if I could.

Thanks again!

Lynn

what if you left that behind in the safe?

Heh, that's a fair enough question, eh?

I'm pretty paranoid about my jewelry... it's on the top of the packing list. I think the (first)dress got left behind because clothes are like, "duh"... I think I stuck that dress out of the way after formal night, like on top of the armoire where the life jackets are.

:)

Years ago when I left a blazer in the closet on Royal Caribbean, I called their lost and found when I got home. It took them a while, but they located it and shipped it to me at no cost. I only had to describe/identify the item.

Maybe if it hasn't been too long, this might work for you.

Dorothy

I vote to wear the bracelet. It may a little over the top - but who cares? I ALWAYS make exceptions for heirloom/special jewellry. (I wear a special locket almost every single day - does it goe with everything - nope! Do I feel better when I wear it? Yup. "Nuff said).

And your dress is stunning. You'll look ravishing in it. Just put it in the suitcase right away after wearing!!! Promise?

My first thought was the braclet was too much for the gown. But now knowing that the braclet has a special meaning for you I would absolutley wear it.

My mom had this wonderful white beaded evening bag that she would wear each year when she attended the Navy Ball with my dad. Some years back she gave it to me. My mom was not one to dress up and I can remember as a kid the night of the ball all of us just waiting to see mom and dad dressed for this occasion. At first I just packaged the bag it was so special to me and I did not want it to get damaged. Finally I said this is silly and now I take it on cruises with me and use it....

So I say go for the special meaning bracelet.

I still think the bracelet is too much for the dress, although I can appreciate sentimentality. I think I would worry about losing it, or snagging the dress.

I would probably display the bracelet in my home, hanging on an ornament hanger, or in a glass display box, like a shadow box. Things that are special should be enjoyed.

My own mother and MIL were also guilty of saving things for "special". Many of those things became outdated before they could be used, or were left with the tags still on upon their demise. Such a shame to not enjoy these things while the opportunity is still there. I wear my MIL's string of pearls and pearl earrings with jeans and a white shirt to work several times a year. If I waited for "special", I'd probably only get to enjoy them once or twice a year and I love them too much to have them wait in the jewelry box.

It's hard to tell from the photo is this would even be possible, but have you ever taken the bracelet to a jeweler to see if the carriage could be removed and made into a pin or maybe a necklace?

You might get more use out of them if they were two separate pieces of jewelry.

Again, may not be appropriate, but I thought I'd toss it out there....

sabba

Archived