Great snorkeling excursions

racyguy14619

I was on Carnival Triumph two weeks ago, and wanted to pass along my snorkeling experiences.

In St. Thomas I took the 1pm Captain Nautica Snorkeling excursion. The trip goes to Buck Island on a 30-foot rigid-hulled inflatable boat that holds about 20 people -- be prepared for a fast, fun, rough ride out to the island. We had Captain Ian and 1st Mate Megan -- both were very personable and fun. I saw a couple of turtles and lots of fish at Buck Island -- after about 45 minutes we all took a break and had some bottled water or pop, and Megan came around with some cut fruit (melon, etc.). The second stop on this tour is picked somewhat randomly. Captain Ian asked us all if we wanted to go to a shipwreck (not too many fish), another reef, or a beach -- we chose the reef, so he took us to the island right next to Buck Island, which had more fish. I actually saw a 4-foot nurse shark from about 20 feet away. After the second snorkeling there was more water and pop and shrimp and cocktail sauce. This was the second time I've taken this excursion (Kathy and I took it in 10/05), and I highly recommend it -- it is definitely fun and the people are nice.

In Grand Turk I took the 11:30am Ultimate Snorkel trip. It was on a "regular" tour boat, and there were 20 of us or more. It was very windy that day, and the water was pretty choppy -- my CruiseCritic friends cancelled because one of them was a newbie, but I still went and the water was very clear. They took us to two different offshore reefs. At the first one I heard "Barracuda" as I jumped into the water, so I cleared my snorkel quickly and looked down -- there was a 5-foot barracuda hanging 15 feet under our boat. As we floated next to the boat and watched, he slowly made his way upwards until he was about 6 feet from us, and he stayed there and looked at us for a few minutes. I also saw another barracuda and followed a stingray. The other reef had lots of fish. It was a great snorkeling excursion.

We'll be on the Triumph in March also. I've heard a couple of different things about snorkeling at Half Moon Cay and Nassau. Any advice for HMC? And I'd love to do the Stuart Cove's snorkel in Nassau , but the morning trip leaves before we dock and the afternoon says it JUST makes it back at 5:30...ship leaves at 6pm. Have you done this one and is the timing reliable?

DH & I did the Capt. Nautica excursion with Chris and Megan last week. Yes, that boat ride is fun! I was afraid I might get seasick, but it was not a problem. It was exciting! We went to Trunk Bay and Buck Bay. We saw quite a few colorful fish and one small stingray. Most of the others saw sea turtles, but we missed them. The water was smooth, and we enjoyed it. We would hope to see more exciting creatures, but it was still fun. They are very nice people to tour with.

Thanks for your feedback. I am going to St.Thomas in March but with RCI. I notice they also have an excursion to Buck Island.

I was in St Thomas last year with Princess. I took a private day sail to St John (well, not really private- they took up to 6 people, but at least no crowds) and had the best snorkeling ever. I don't think any place can be better than St John, although from the reviews I've read it appears every area there is fantastic. My tour was booked with Interlinesail, which is one of the independent tour operators on the island. I highly recommend them if you want to go to St John for the day.

HappyCat: We are neighbors; Im in Seabeck :)

We will be on the Triumph and booked the Reef and Rays, I know its a different excursion than you did but how was the snorkeling in Grand Turk overall. I have heard mixed reviews....

Archived