Considering a cruise- repositioning

dianeh

Hi,

I have only cruised once, a mini with HAL from Van to Alaska. Wasn't impressed and thought cruising wasn't for me but here we are considering one!

First off, we thought a 7-11 day Hawaiian Island cruise followed by a week on an island would be ideal. When I questioned our TA, she suggested a repositioning cruise from Vancouver. We'd like to jump ship in Kono to use a timeshare exchange. We'd be able to save $$ for airfare from interisland and to the mainland this way.

Questions are:

-are repositioning cruises less expensive?

-chances of upgrades? We want a balcony and will book it.

just read about hump staterooms.

-do you save money by leaving the ship 1 or 2 days early?

do they allow it?

-is tipping on RCII the same as others I've read($23usd per person per day)

-how far in advance can you book a repositioning cruise? (trying to coordinate with a timeshare exchange so the longer the better)

-and finally are the repositioning cruise dates usually the same every year? (meaning week number not actual date)

Your answers would and are appreciated......I must make a well-informed presentation to hubby for this to fly!

Diane

In order...

Some are, some aren't - Hawaii ones aren't the typical repo as it's to Hawaii then back, and Hawaii's popular.

Don't count on an upgrade from one balcony to another, but check often, especially just before final payment date for openings and ask to switch. Also, you could put yourself on a wait list.

You definitely do not save money, and it could cost you extra. When the cruise returns to the same port it leaves from or if you don't visit a foreign port before you debark there definitely is. $300/pp, IIRC.

$23pp/day is at least double RCI. That's more like a reasonable per couple rate (slightly above minimum recommeded).

They're usually pretty close, but everything's subject to change.

Archived