Passport required for Belize?

famplan28

Hi...I have a large family group cruiseing in December with one in the group who does not have a passport. This is listed as a western caribbean cruise, but something I read on the cc boards started me thinking about maybe Belize rules might be different than our other stops in Mexico. So I called passport info at the Dept. of State and was told that if you do not have a passport you can not get off the ship in Belize. Different country, different rules...Belize is not considered Caribbean. Has anyone else had trouble getting off a cruise ship at Belize without a passport? (She has birth certificate and photo ID).

Thank you!

Belize has an exception for passengers entering for the day by cruiseship - you don't need a passport. If you have to fly in or out of Belize though, or are staying over night, then you do have to have a passport.

Please check with your cruise line. The rules have changed to get on a ship; not just for Belize. I believe a passport will be required for every passenger starting in 2008. Airlines will not be far behind. Best to bit the bullet and get a passport.

The problem you are going to have is NOT with Belize, which DOES specifically exempt cruise ship passengers. The United States Department of Heimat Sekuritat has been jumping all over the board for a year now as to what they are going to require American citizens to carry and present on departure and return to the United States, and the ONLY thing that you can trust is that it is going to take a while to have the passport issued. Do not waste a day in idle speculation. At least they last for ten years now, so perhaps you will get some use from your money--which is so seldom the case . . . .

The problem you are going to have is NOT with Belize, which DOES specifically exempt cruise ship passengers. The United States Department of Heimat Sekuritat has been jumping all over the board for a year now as to what they are going to require American citizens to carry and present on departure and return to the United States, and the ONLY thing that you can trust is that it is going to take a while to have the passport issued. Do not waste a day in idle speculation. At least they last for ten years now, so perhaps you will get some use from your money--which is so seldom the case . . . .

Very wise words from driftwod.....Although U.S. cruise ship passengers are exempt from needing it when arriving in Belize NOW, that could change at anytime.....Get that passport is my suggestion as well as it also opens a new world of travel for you. As for myself and personal travels,, my passport has allowed me to go places I would not have been able to go to without one... I for one feel it was a good investment for my travel needs !

this is almost funny if you saw what we did there last week! We went looking for the immigration office to get our passports stamped....found it in back ally and the building...I kid you not...is about 5 feet wide and 4 feet deep and it was locked up tight. We went to the immigration office inside building 2 and found 1 officer tucked into a whole of an office who was very nice and stamped out passports for us as our souviner.

Archived