Speaking of the Potty & AO...

abba_dabba_doo

For the 3-5 yr old group, I'm curious about whether the staff at AO takes the kids for potty breaks or do they expect them to just go on their own? I just can't imagine a 3 yr old going potty by themselves.

I'm hoping it's like daycare where the teachers actually take the whole class to the bathroom a few times throughout the day, or that there are enough staff members and one of them can bring a child that has to go. Oh and also, I'm assuming there are some men staff members, however I'm not really comfortable w/a man bringing my DD's to the bathroom. Do they make sure a woman brings the girls?

And is the bathroom in the same area or do the kids have to leave the area to use the bathroom?

The bathroom is located inside the 3-5 year old area. The kids must be able to completly go by themselves. The counselors are not allowed to go in with them. And I don't think they have set times to remind the kids to go. The kids can use it at any time.

Which for the 3 year olds can be bad cause you know how a 3 year old is when they get involved with something. They will wait till they explode before they run to the potty.

Oh, they go by themselves....hmmm......okay now I'm going to be stressing over this.

Are these public restrooms w/toilets that are higher than at home? Or are they more like a bathroom at home? I'm wondering how my 3 yr old (who will be 4 at time of cruise) will get herself up on the toilet (she's little). I would never expect her to be in a public restroom by herself and I'm always there to help.

Ugh, well good thing she can hold her pee......I guess if she's gone right before drop off then it should be okay if she doesn't go there, I would be picking her up for lunch/dinner anyway.

Oh, they go by themselves....hmmm......okay now I'm going to be stressing over this.

Are these public restrooms w/toilets that are higher than at home? Or are they more like a bathroom at home? I'm wondering how my 3 yr old (who will be 4 at time of cruise) will get herself up on the toilet (she's little). I would never expect her to be in a public restroom by herself and I'm always there to help.

Ugh, well good thing she can hold her pee......I guess if she's gone right before drop off then it should be okay if she doesn't go there, I would be picking her up for lunch/dinner anyway.

Don't stress! We've all been through it and I know it seems like alot. She will be ok. I was completly stressed the first time my children had to do this too. And I really had nothing to worry about.

It's only one toilet. The door is right where the kids are playing. There is a stool to get up to the potty. On some ships the potties are small (Disney). I did have to ask my oldest what the size of the RCCL potties are, she said they are normal size.

The biggest problem you are going to have is the sound the potties make. My 7 year old still gets a little freaked out about them :eek: . They are like airplane toilets. They make a big sucking WHOOSH sound when they flush. Some kids think they are going to get flushed down the potty.

So let her try the potty in your cabin and see if she is comfortable with the WHOOSH of the toilet.

The potties on Princess are tiny, but on most lines they are larger with a stool. My 3 year old has been potty trained for over a year, but for some reason wants to take all of her clothes off to go. We've been practicing only pulling her shorts down, not off. I know first hand, they do not help at all-their rule strictly prohibit it. Two of the cruises we were on, my little girl was only 2 yrs old so I stayed in the kids club with her. Lot of 3 year olds had difficulty, but the satff told me that they were not even allowed in the restroom with a child. One little boy came out with his shorts on inside out and backwards and no shoes. The staff said they had to just let him that way. He didn't seem to mind.

Wow! I never even thought of the fact that my three year-old would have to be able to go totally on his own. Well, that totally takes my chances of kid's club away for our cruise next week.

I am doing double finger crossing that we can get a babysitter for nights.

Cheryl

I started working with my 3yo on wiping his own bottom today. That's the only thing I think he might have trouble with. He can go into the bathroom and get up on the potty by himself--even the tall handicapped toilet. And I have to make sure that he doesn't have snaps or zippers.

My DD goes on her own, but that's at home. And we'll be working on poopy wiping after she turns 4. I guess I'll just have to prepare her and let her know that she will have to go potty by herself. I'm assuming we'll get the chance to see the kids area and I can show her that it's easy - right? They do let us see the area before we just drop them off???

Now, will they get her big sister who will be in the 6-8 yr olds if she asks?

You will have a pager/or cell. They will call you if you tell them to when the child needs to potty (if you can make it there in time to help) What I did the first time after potty training at home was working, I had them call if she poohed because they do not wipe. I would get her then and take her back to the cabin to clean and change her panties. It worked out OK. The in cabin sitters are great on lines that provide them for the evening out.

You will have a pager/or cell. They will call you if you tell them to when the child needs to potty (if you can make it there in time to help) What I did the first time after potty training at home was working, I had them call if she poohed because they do not wipe. I would get her then and take her back to the cabin to clean and change her panties. It worked out OK. The in cabin sitters are great on lines that provide them for the evening out.

This is on RCI right? Because wiping is the only thing that my son might have a problem with. But I'm totally fine running up there to help him with that if it's allowed. I actually made him wipe himself yesterday to see if he can do it--not very well.

Yes RCCL. Our little one just did not get the whole wipe thing down until about 3 1/2. Maybe yours will figure it out in no time at all. Have a wonderful cruise. Write us a review when you get back. I am taking two 4 yr old on CCL in 15 days (YEAH!!!) and they should have no potty issues this cruise. But is do recall my share of "opps!"

Hey sis (Ab!) You have 237 posts to my 25 :D

Anyway, don't forget that H will be in with A and M!! Not that we want H wiping dirty bottoms but she can help with getting tp for them and getting situated. Don't worry about A and pee'ing, at least. I KNOW she'll be fine with that! Let's just hope that they will all be on a poop schedule that makes us not have to worry!!!!!

Also, as long as the sinks are reachable for hand washing, then we have to just block our minds about the dirty public potty stuff! H is very good about washing hands after.

Hey sis (Ab!) You have 237 posts to my 25 :D

Anyway, don't forget that H will be in with A and M!! Not that we want H wiping dirty bottoms but she can help with getting tp for them and getting situated. Don't worry about A and pee'ing, at least. I KNOW she'll be fine with that! Let's just hope that they will all be on a poop schedule that makes us not have to worry!!!!!

Also, as long as the sinks are reachable for hand washing, then we have to just block our minds about the dirty public potty stuff! H is very good about washing hands after.

LOL...yeah I've been a little busy.......hello my name is Abbi and I'm a cruisecritic addict...:D

Yeah, I wouldn't think A would poop there anyway, she never goes at school, always at night. And she is good about washing hands after too, you know me....I worry about everything!!

Archived