Top Things to See & Do in Merida?

NolaGuy

Hey Ya'll

I'll be in Progresso in a month and was thinking of skipping Progresso and checking out Merida--what are the top things to see and do there? If I get off the ship by 10am, what time will I be able to get to Merida? If the ship leaves at 4pm(I think) what time should I leave Merida? Should I take a taxi or the bus? What is the price difference? Never been here before and was researching Costa Maya forever, but then found out that Costa Maya was replaced with Progresso. Not sure how I feel about that, but I'm willing to give it a chance. I hear Merida is quite the metropolis(for a city in the Yucatan) and think it might be a cool place to visit. Oh and my g-friend wants to know about shopping there too. What does Merida(NOT Progresso) have to offer in the way of shopping? Is it still just straw bags, hats, purses, etc. or more "upscale" merchandise like jewelry, designer items, perfumes, watches, etc.? Thanks for any and all help.

Hey Ya'll

I'll be in Progresso in a month and was thinking of skipping Progresso and checking out Merida--what are the top things to see and do there? If I get off the ship by 10am, what time will I be able to get to Merida? If the ship leaves at 4pm(I think) what time should I leave Merida? Should I take a taxi or the bus? What is the price difference? Never been here before and was researching Costa Maya forever, but then found out that Costa Maya was replaced with Progresso. Not sure how I feel about that, but I'm willing to give it a chance. I hear Merida is quite the metropolis(for a city in the Yucatan) and think it might be a cool place to visit. Oh and my g-friend wants to know about shopping there too. What does Merida(NOT Progresso) have to offer in the way of shopping? Is it still just straw bags, hats, purses, etc. or more "upscale" merchandise like jewelry, designer items, perfumes, watches, etc.? Thanks for any and all help.

Nolaguy,

I have only visited Merida once, so I can only help you out just a little. I'm sure Hdawson could give you more options that what I can.

You ask about taxi vs. bus. I have heard that if you take the bus it's way cheaper but it also takes longer to get to Merida. When I went to Merida in Jan. of 07 (there were 6 of us). We took a taxi & it was $80 bucks. There were some other taxi's that wanted to charge us $160.00 but we just kept walking and came across another taxi and we asked him how much and he said $80, however he said that he would be our tour guide and show us the real Merida. We went ahead and got in his taxi. It was about a 45 min. drive to the heart of Merida and we went to the local shops there and began bargaining w/the local retailers there. Side note: If you plan on using the restrooms there pls take your own toilet paper. At some places they do charge you to use their restroom about 15-25 cents and they will give you a certain amount of toilet paper. Please do not flush the toilet paper down the toilet, throw it in the trash..my friend did that & a local got onto her...it was hilarious b/c my friend didn't understand her and the lady was just mad at her.

Anywho, Merida defintely does have a variety of items for you to choose from. I don't think you will be disappointed w/Merida, I think you will love it there. It's a shopper's paradise!

""Please do not flush the toilet paper down the toilet, throw it in the trash.."" :eek:

This is not a "quaint local custom" .

You will find this practice all over the Yucatan as well as Mexico and Central America. The evolution of the waste treatment facilities, even in some of the most modern areas, are not up to the capacity and processing abilities of facilities we are used to in the U.S of A...

The paper will not process and clogs the system... So, do as the natives do... swipe/wipe and drop in the can beside the can..;)

Nolaguy,

It's a shopper's paradise!

I am leaving on my cruise in 1 week and am pleased to hear Merida is a shopper's paradise. Exactly what kind of shopping? I've asked this question before, but never seem to get an answer. I am looking for a new watch, should I consider Merida? Is there a mall there? Not just some kind of touristy market, but an actual mall or area with jewelry shops, clothing, designer merchandise, etc? What about liquor and cigarettes? Good buys in Merida? Thanks!

I am leaving on my cruise in 1 week and am pleased to hear Merida is a shopper's paradise. Exactly what kind of shopping? I've asked this question before, but never seem to get an answer. I am looking for a new watch, should I consider Merida? Is there a mall there? Not just some kind of touristy market, but an actual mall or area with jewelry shops, clothing, designer merchandise, etc? What about liquor and cigarettes? Good buys in Merida? Thanks!

you can find anything Merida. Our taxi driver took us where the local's shop b/c I wanted to find a good mayan souvenir. Which I found & absolutely love!!

P1000667.jpg

They have several stores, shopping areas, I guess you can call them malls, or flea markets where they have several vendors inside the shopping area. They also have nice jewlery stores there too. We went to a couple of stores but we didn't buy any jewlery b/c we really didn't want to spend a lot of money. At the stores, i found several souvenirs, really nice chess board games, hammocks, sombreros, rings, necklaces, bracelets, watches, purses, belts, pretty much what you can find here in the states you can find in Merida! If you do go into areas that are not touristy in Merida, make sure you take several small bills. Some smaller shopping areas did not take US dollars but these stores I found sold smaller items, like sunglasses, coin purses, etc. The shopping areas that our taxi driver took us to they all took our US dollars. no problem!

Archived