Help! La Popa Monastery

auntdot

We have been following the threads for private tours in Cartagena and we are almost ready to book with Lee Miles.

My DH and I have some mobility limitations - can't walk far or for a long time. Lee is suggesting the Fort rather than the Monastery - but from what I have read La Popa is almost a 'must see' in Cartagena. Would you agree? Are there stairs to reach the view point at the monastery? or ramps? Would it be like 3 or 4 storeys high to walk? or more? Is the view that much better from the Monastery than from the Fort?

Just trying to get an idea before we decide to go there or pass. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dot

We have been following the threads for private tours in Cartagena and we are almost ready to book with Lee Miles.

My DH and I have some mobility limitations - can't walk far or for a long time. Lee is suggesting the Fort rather than the Monastery - but from what I have read La Popa is almost a 'must see' in Cartagena. Would you agree? Are there stairs to reach the view point at the monastery? or ramps? Would it be like 3 or 4 storeys high to walk? or more? Is the view that much better from the Monastery than from the Fort?

Just trying to get an idea before we decide to go there or pass. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dot

We did a tour through HAL and we did go to La Popa. It is a very steep road up to La Popa, but the big buses stopped very close to the top to let us off. It was a very gradual incline to walk up to the top. I remember that there was a brick walkway and stair area with several levels to get to the top. The view is the best because it is the highest point in Cartegena. Good opportunity for photos and 360 degree views of the city. It would not be more that a story or two to walk (gradually) IF you get let off at the top of the hill. I can't remember if there was a wheelchair ramp. I kind of doubt it.

I did not see anyone being allowed to drop off at the top except big tour buses. The smaller vans were parked away from the top. I don't know if they can drop people off at the very top where the big buses were. You might ask Lee that. It was very busy up there with many buses and tight parking.

As far as the Fort, our tour only took us by for a photo stop. We did not tour the fort. I figured the reason why we did not tour it was because you had to climb many stairs (that was how it looked to me anyway) and that would not work for most of the Holland America clientele. Maybe Lee knows a way to get you to the top without having to climb stairs. It looked like vehicles were not allowed up there - saw only poeple on foot.

If you look on this board, there is a discussion on tours through Lee Miles that may give you more info on La Popa and the fort. I think it is under the thread "info on Cartegena please". Another person "Carol in SC" who was on the Zuiderdam just returned and posted about her experience with Lee's tour.

Happy searching. Maybe somone else can be of more help.

• 3 months later...

both are great to see. If you take a private taxi (just outisde the cruise ship gift shop) you could probably do both. Our taxi driver took us right up to the monastery adn after that there is a short walk, but I don't remember steps (we just did this in Dec 07), so not hard at all and the views (on a clear day are beautiful). My parents did the big fort (we looked at it from the bottom because we were tired), but that's a lot of walking, unless you have a wheelchair or something. shopping in the dungeons would be level and as much walking as you wanted. You get a lot for your money from the certified taxis (which are yellow).

Hi Dot,

I just did a tour recently through Lee Miles (on our cruise Jan 26-Feb 5). I highly recommend his tours.

Anyway, the view from La Popa is breathtaking. For Lee's tour we were in a van, and he was able to get us right up to the top parking lot area. It was the large tour buses (through the ship) that were having to stay further down the road. Assuming the car/van with Lee can get up to the top parking level, you wouldn't have any difficulty because it isn't a steep walk.

The fortress is AMAZING, but if you have mobility issues, I wouldn't recommend actually going into the fort. It is a very steep walk. One of the people on our tour had mobility issues, so he just stayed in the van at the fortress. Lee adjusts the price accordingly since there would be no admission fee.

I definitely recommend letting Lee know, and he will plan accordingly. Our guide was Doris, and she was terrific.

Tara

Archived