QE2 Cabin 4253

kevankiki

I have an old set of deck plans, but not scanned. I can tell you that it's a tiny cabin, looks like two beds with a small dresser between them and that's it. Cosy. :rolleyes:

Given that it's so far back and your beds are so near the hull, you will get vibration, and plenty of it, particularly when she changes speed going into and out of port.

I don't think I've been that far aft on 4-deck, but I have been aft on 3, roughly over where you are. We had Caronia cabins, and the bed space was notched--you know how the cabins fit like puzzle pieces, right? Well, our bed space was in the center of the cabin space, away from the hull, closer to the hallway. Our friend's cabin had the beds next to the hull. They felt the vibration more than we did, and I think it was because their beds were more directly over the props and/or drive shaft.

Look at it this way, you could go to Sharper Image and buy one of those massaging beds for a lot of money. You'll get that on QE2 as a bonus!

Seriously, the vibration problem depends on how much you're bothered by it. It never bothers me. In fact, the silence on QM2 makes me forget I'm on a ship. I like the vibrations and creaks on QE2. My TA tried to talk me out of aft cabins on 1-deck because she had a passenger back there and the woman cried, she was so unhappy. I've been aft on 1 and yes, you feel a little vibration there, but it's hardly enough to cry over.

Kathy

You may think it's small, but actually it's 120ft, which is bigger than the first cabin we had, and bigger than the cabin DH & DS had last time (109ft)! It's also a M1, and we've never had a porthole before :D

I recall feeling vibration in The Lido, how does it compare to that do you think?

The cabin looks small on the plans, but I guess they all look small, once the little beds and dressers are diagrammed in. Our first cabin on QE2 was a teeny inside with upper and lower bunks. Compared to that, at 120 sq ft, yours is a palace!

The farther down you go, the stronger the vibration will be. You feel it most strongly when she's changing speed going into or out of port. But most of the time it's a background sort of thing. It isn't a constant teeth-rattling shudder or someting horrible like that. (I do think the passenger who cried over the vibration was a sissy! Either that or she was hoping to parlay it into a juicy upgrade.)

On the plus side, you're just a quick run up the stairs to the laundrette!

I'm curious to see what other posters have to say about this part of the ship.

Kathy

Here's a plan of it. I wouldn't expect the vibration on deck four to be too bad. I'd think the cabin would be a lot more stable than the Lido! I've known Gala buffets in there where the food won't stay on the table when the seas haven't been that heavy.

4253.jpg.d5e405740a957b4a2cac1ed5b9de5e02.jpg

Thanks Malcolm, did you get my email BTW?

I don't think the vibration would bother us too much, and we do want to experience the ship after all, plus there are a lot of cabins at the back and I don't see that many people complaining :D

On our last cruise I sneaked down to look at our cabin (5173) before we disembarked, and I have to say it was a little noisy, since it was next to an air conditioning unit or something.

Thanks Malcolm :)

I've just had a closer look at your attached plan, is it just me, or is there no door into the cabin??? :eek:

Annette,

I think you are abseiling down the outside and in through the porthole:D

but at least you've got walls - there seems to be one missing between 4255 ad 4257:eek:

(trying not to read the rest of the thread - i've got 4240 next time & I don't want to know if its noisy etc - if it is there is nothing i can do about it:D)

Karen

Annette,

I think you are abseiling down the outside and in through the porthole:D

Karen

LOL, my first thought, too! See how useful a porthole is, Annette, and you thought it was just to get a little daylight! :rolleyes:

My deckplans just show openings for doorways (yes, you have a doorway, it's next to your bathroom). Malcolm's plans show all the doors in the open position. Goodness, there are a lot of them--if everyone down your little hallway decides to leave at the same time, you may have door collisions!

Kathy

Annette,

I think you are abseiling down the outside and in through the porthole

Oh duh, of course, that should have been so obvious! Do you think Cunard will provide the necessary equipment, or should we bring our own? :D

What happens if we eat too much during the cruise and can't get in/out?

but at least you've got walls - there seems to be one missing between 4255 ad 4257

(trying not to read the rest of the thread - i've got 4240 next time & I don't want to know if its noisy etc - if it is there is nothing i can do about it:D)

Karen

There is a bed between 4255 and 4257 - what else is needed? This is the QE2 and everyone is friendly are they not? :eek:

I don't think you have much to worry about Karen, you are further forward, and handy for the car lift I see (should you be bringing your Rolls Royce on board) :D

LOL, my first thought, too! See how useful a porthole is, Annette, and you thought it was just to get a little daylight! :rolleyes:

My deckplans just show openings for doorways (yes, you have a doorway, it's next to your bathroom). Malcolm's plans show all the doors in the open position. Goodness, there are a lot of them--if everyone down your little hallway decides to leave at the same time, you may have door collisions!

Kathy

Kevin is in a dilemma as he says he likes to be next to the bathroom, and he likes to be next to the window, but presumably the porthole can't be opened anyway (I can see him wanting to open it :D)?

Seriously, I can figure out where the door must be, it can't be anywhere else really.

At least you are not surrounded by bathrooms as I seemed to be in 5016 - my first outside - when I heard trickling water (and I was not in the bathroom), I thought we had sprung a leak:D

Karen

I had to get my deck 5 plans out and I see what you mean. I'm guessing that when you weren't hearing water running, you stood the chance of banging from the bed on the other side of the wall :eek:

I had to get my deck 5 plans out and I see what you mean. I'm guessing that when you weren't hearing water running, you stood the chance of banging from the bed on the other side of the wall :eek:

As i remember, the wall used to move :eek: luckily for me the couple next door were more interested in arguing than anything else

Karen

As i remember, the wall used to move :eek: luckily for me the couple next door were more interested in arguing than anything else

Karen

Did you never worry that one wasn't trying to drown the other in the shower with all that running water then? :eek:

Ok, this thread has inspired me into joining youtube and posting a video from my QE2 Iceland & Norway trip in June 2007.

Its shows the porthole of cabin 5016 during rough(ish) weather - shows waves hitting the glass.

Annette, please do not watch if you think it might make you nervous, but take into account, you are a deck higher, and at the rear of the ship:D

Also take into account that it can't have been that rough as there was no suggestion of closing the port hole cover!

Also take into account, first time port hole owner in shock that there are waves hitting the window, why haven't they closed the cover and just how strong is that glass anyway:D

waiting, for youtube to process it ........ (how long does this take?) .......

Karen

Gee thanks Karen. When we booked the final westbound transatlantic we originally had paid for a level 5 M1 cabin. I know many are wishing for stormy weather on that crossing! Now I moved away from possibly seeing what is in your video to a C3 (yes, I had a window of opportunity a couple of weeks later and was able to purchase an upgrade before the crossing became sold out) located at the stern on level 1 right under the Lido. From waves crashing on your porthole to vibrations and noise!:)

Won't be a dull trip anyway!

But honestly. I had the opportunity to wander down the halls of deck 5 when we were tendering at Guernsey. It was nicer than the horror stories I was hearing long before I got onto the ship and found myself saying I could do it. Mind you it wasn't in the middle of a storm but if we stayed there I think my partner would be mesmerized by being close to ocean level and I would never get him out of the cabin. I don't think it would bother me much unless it was the storm of the century.

Anyway, Annette, since this is your first porthole just remember - you have to leave the cabin for meals and if you want to go on shore excursions. :D However, I think you will love your little room and the view no matter how small.

David

And no Annette.............tell your husband you can't open the portholes! We tried!;)

wow! neat!

On our first cruise on the Crown Jewel, we were all the way forward and on 2 deck (lowest part-passenger deck) They never closed our

deadlights. The portholes were set in a bit, making a shelf in front of them sort of. I would kneel on the bed in the middle of the night (the beds were separated, on under the porthole on against the wall, if I remember correctly) and just watch out the window for what seemed like hours! The green spray hitting the window was beautiful! Sometimes it would wash completely over the window! I seem to remember one cruise on one of the smaller ships (might have been Crown Jewel or maybe Dynasty) the water was washing up over the top deck at times! I'm thinking it must have been Dynasty since ewe were in open water, not just the Caribbean.

It wasn't uncomfortable, just fun!

I have GOT to find the pictures and movies from those times. I used VHS-C video then, and had a converter to play it in a regular VHS machine. I can't find them all, though! (We had a burglary a long time ago. The video camera was stolen, and our next one was a Hi-8 camera)

Maybe when we get back from our cruise.

Gee thanks Karen. When we booked the final westbound transatlantic we originally had paid for a level 5 M1 cabin. I know many are wishing for stormy weather on that crossing! Now I moved away from possibly seeing what is in your video to a C3 (yes, I had a window of opportunity a couple of weeks later and was able to purchase an upgrade before the crossing became sold out) located at the stern on level 1 right under the Lido. From waves crashing on your porthole to vibrations and noise!:)

What cabin are you in, David? I've been in 1107 and our friends were in 1111 (she loved that cabin because she couldn't forget the number). We didn't have any noise from the Lido above us. It's a great location--just steps away from AM coffee and afternoon ice cream (or frozen yogurt, whatever soft-serve sweet stuff they have).

We were supposed to be in 1107 again for the Christmas Markets cruise, but the upgrade fairy moved us to a P cabin.

Kathy

Thanks for posting that video Karen, it did not make me nervous at all, in fact I actually felt excited!

I also think it might help Kevin make his decision, especially when I tell him he won't be able to open it either, he is the one that is more likely to get nervous if he sees that video. So, my cunning plan is to show it to him, hopefully he will insist on being by the bathroom (why should I deny his wishes?), and I will be very happy lying under my porthole looking out to sea or whatever - wonderful! :cool:

[The video] shows the porthole of cabin 5016 during rough(ish) weather - shows waves hitting the glass.

Did it feel rough or was that just the normal way of things? I've never had an outside cabin on deck 5 (I say that although I've got a boarding card that says I was in 5116 on voyage 1013! It's one of the old style cards that they wrote on so I've no idea what date it was, although it must have been at least 13 years ago).

a C3 located at the stern on level 1 right under the Lido. From waves crashing on your porthole to vibrations and noise!:)

Those cabins at the rear on One Deck do tend to move about quite a lot. It doesn't even need to be rough weather! After saying that it can be quite good fun to have the floor moving under you (and you won't be in your cabin that much anyway). We're in a similar location for the return leg - so we don't think there is too much of a problem:)

Did it feel rough or was that just the normal way of things? I've never had an outside cabin on deck 5 (I say that although I've got a boarding card that says I was in 5116 on voyage 1013! It's one of the old style cards that they wrote on so I've no idea what date it was, although it must have been at least 13 years ago).

you could feel it in the ship - but it wasn't that bad - I don't remember any day being particularly bad weather wise

I THINK it was the day that moving from port to starboard was very easy (e.g. was downhill) when coming out from the Mauritania restaurant - we later sat in the Golden Lion, on the seats in the depths if the room, but facing the windows, and the sky would disappear occasionally (don't forget it was June in the Land of the Midnight sun, so it didn't get dark til very late, if at all) as we rolled. But I've had much worse weather - as I said there was no hint of the deadlights being closed - just before I've been in an inside cabin, so not seen it.

Karen

Well since you enjoyed that one so much - heres the boring version, in calm weather, leaving Iceland I think.

I was going to post a picture of the porthole in question, when I realised you have all seen it before on the pol acker thread!

So rather than upload it again, I'm going to see if I can use the link already in there - be back in a mo...

Ohhh, mistake made there, before I turned to the search engine, I actually scanned the thread physically, and saw that dining room again, shudder.

Anyway found the pic, now to see if I can insert it.

[ATTACH]57212[/ATTACH]

ummm not quite what I was hoping for... you'll have to click on it!

Karen

Archived