How long can you stay aboard the last day!

NickCDN

We are cruising the Dawn on Feb 10, 2008. Most people are in a rush to get off the ship when it docks on the final day because they have flights waiting. Our group of 13 doesnt have a flight until 8pm that night from Miami. What is the latest NCL will allow you to stay on board? Can you request to be in the last groups off the boat? Are we able to have a relaxing breakfast on the last morning?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

Nick

You can have a breakfast the last morning, either in the dining room or buffet, during specific hours.

No, you will not be having a relaxing time, I can assure you.

All passengers will typically be off the ship by 10 AM. From the moment they start blasting on the intercom at 7 AM, you will be bombarded by constant announcements. You will want to leave, and they will want you to leave.

The best advice for late flights is to rent a car and do some sightseeing. Take a cab to the airport, pick up the car there, and return it just before your flight. It has worked well for me.

We are cruising the Dawn on Feb 10, 2008. Most people are in a rush to get off the ship when it docks on the final day because they have flights waiting. Our group of 13 doesnt have a flight until 8pm that night from Miami. What is the latest NCL will allow you to stay on board? Can you request to be in the last groups off the boat? Are we able to have a relaxing breakfast on the last morning?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

Nick

I would enjoy my breakfast and then rent the from the Hertz thats one block from the Miami port. There were no drop charges when we did this in 05. Also, if you have folks leaving even later than 8, consider a hotel for pool, place to keep your stuff, ect.

When I took the Dawn last year we arrived in port 2 hours early and there were rushing everyone off as if they were late. I too had a late flight and I was practically pushed off. It was unreal. I felt it was unfair because we arrived early. they even sent flyers to all saying we were going to arrive early so get an early start. :confused:

I think the best experience on debarkation day is to plan to leave when they call you. Don't try to hang around and be the last to leave - that causes problems for the staff. They are scrambling to get everyone off as soon as possible so they can do a security sweep and declare the ship clean.

I understand everyone wanting to get every minute's value out of the cruise, and wanting to delay for late flights, but the fact is the morning of debarkation is not really a vacation day, it's a travel day pretty much from the time you awake.

If these are 13 people all paying their own way (as opposed to families with children), you might consider a ship's tour of Miami. Don't know if NCL offers one, but we did one once in Miami and it was wonderful. The bus picked us up as we disembarked, gave us a great tour of Miami and Miami Beach with dialog about all the famous people who lived there, and then deposited us and our luggage at the proper place in the airport. (I realize if you have to buy a tour for a large family, that would be prohibitive.)

We did the same thing (with NCL) when we were leaving from L.A. Terrific tour! Better than the tours they offer in the regular ports.

I could have sworn I read alot of posts that say it is great to debark from an NCL cruise because they don't push you off the ship and you can stay in your room until your color is called unlike the other cruiselines. It is the absolute pits to get out of your room by 8 and sit in the lounges with nothing to drink or do until your color is called on the other ships. I hope NCL does allow you to stay in your cabin until its your time.

The ship usually offers tours where they load your luggage on a bus with you and drop you off at the airport. Choices may include the Everglades, the Miami Seaquarium, or a city tour. These are usually over with in the afternoon, around 3-ish so you will still have a very long wait at the airport if you do this.

With 13 people, you may need to rent three mini-vans (need to plan space for luggage), but you could create your own tour. If each large vehicle was $75 for the day, including gas, and you split it 13 ways, you will be looking at less than $20 each for a day's entertainment. Beats the heck out of sitting at the airport for 10 hours. Especially if you have kids!

We went to a park in South Miami and sat on the grass, fed ducks, and walked around. We had a nice lunch at a restaurant and went to a shopping mall, went out to the lighthouse at Cape Florida and climbed it, and just had a blast. Time goes by really fast when you can go where you want.

The main thing to keep in mind for the group is to understand that the cruise effectively ends when you go to sleep on the last night. When you wake up, you won't feel like it is vacation anymore until you are off the ship and free to do what you like.

Archived