10/20 Journey Review & Comments

ashes6870

Just returned from our 10/20 sail on the Journey to Bermuda. But before I start my review, please believe that I’m trying to be as objective as I can. The last time we were on a cruise was 15 years ago; we have no connection with Azamara or Celebrity; that being said we have no hidden agenda, nor am I an Azamara cheerleader or shill. To put this further in perspective, I thoroughly researched the Journey and was an avid reader and a sometime participant of the Azamara thread.

My random thoughts on the cruise:

• Excellent value for our cruise dollar

• The crew, from the Capitan on down tried to do everything reasonably possible to make this a memorable cruise

• The ship was in very good shape, never saw holes in the walls where pictures once were or marks, damage, or wear that others reported.

• The crew was constantly cleaning. While in port, our balcony (and the rest of the port side) balconies were power washed; the crew was painting the white work.

• For the most part the food (Prime C, Windows, &Discovery) was excellent both in quality and presentation. Except for one waiter in Discovery, the wait staff was attentive, helpful, and efficient. We really liked Ahmet in Discovery and requested him a second time. The Windows Café buffet had good variety and unexpected quality.

• Our “Butler” (I agree with most reviewers that he is not really a butler) was helpful, came into our room (when we where elsewhere), straightened up, left fresh towels, etc.at least three times a day.

• The entertainment, while not high powered, was more than satisfying.

• The cruise photographer was not obtrusive and there was little pressure to buy.

• The Azamara excursions were a mixed bag (more about this later); the St. Georges Carriage Tour and the Restless Native Catamaran/Snorkeling Trip were great. The Hamilton Trolley Tour was a waste of money (very cramped seating; all we saw was the facilities that the Bermudian government was providing their citizenry).

• Embarkation was quick and smooth, debarkation was less satisfactory – lines were long and slow and many were “line jumping”. This was compounded by the fact the debarkation “colors” were called too quickly aggravating the problem.

• On a scale of 1 – 10, I’d give Azamara Journey and crew a “9”.

But, it certainly was not perfect. While the food in Windows was very good, it was routinely lukewarm at breakfast, lunch and the one dinner we tried. Serving hot food is not rocket science and there are many buffets that can do it – Windows could not.

Also, I was disappointed in the Excursion Desk. We had booked the Hamilton Trolley and BUI tour. We were notified that the tour was not available for “operational reasons” – no other explanation was given. A substitute tour was scheduled for us (the Trolley only tour), but in their infinite wisdom, it was scheduled at the same time as our snorkeling tour. To make a long story short, there was not a positive customer relations solution offered by the lady running excursions, her attitude bordered on rude (as if the scheduling snafu was my fault) and the help or compensation she offered was negligible. She was the only crew person that I encountered who was not positive and helpful.

In summary, we had a great time, the demographic of our cruisers made us feel at home – no loud mouthed louts, just people like us who were there to have an enjoyable cruise. The ship was beautiful, the crew was a delight and we had a good time.

A lot has been written about Azamara being a “work in process”. This is not a negative; in American industry, successful companies are constantly trying to improve, get more efficient, get better. Being a “work in process” is what Azamara should keep on doing, never being satisfied with the status quo, but working to get better.

As for some of the very negative reviews of the Journey that I have read on these pages – the reviewers either appeared to have an axe to grind against Celebrity/Azamara or were the type of person for who nothing is satisfactory, nothing is good enough.

Thanks for your efforts to provide a very thoughtful and carefully composed review - much appreciated.

We'll assess the Journey during our 40th Anniversary Cruise - Dec 23-Jan 10 - South America.

I agree with all the posts above. The reviews were right on target.

I was so impressed with the food and the service, that we booked another cruise on the Azamara Quest in April 2009.

Liesl Smit did an excellent job in arranging our CC meet and greet. The ship supplied champagne and finger food. She came by with many of the ship's officers and introduced them to our group. If you are planning a future cruise and want a CC get-together, just print out the names and staterooms and give them to Liesl as you board, she will get the inviations out rapidly. The party was held in Michael's Library on Deck 10 Sunday morning at 10:30 AM.

If you book on Azamara, you will not be disappointed.:D

On the whole we were pleased with the cruise. The only time the ship felt crowded was at disembarkation when everyone was trying to get off at the same time. I don't think people were paying any attention to the colours being called.

I was never aware of cigarette smoke at any time. It was quite pleasant. The crew were always trying to be helpful and they deserve full credit for that.

The food was somewhat inconsistent. While there is a very real attempt at being upscale we were both somewhat disappointed. I will admit to being a meat and potatoes guy and the offerings were limited. Yes I could order the steak from the always available options, but you would like a little more variety. The chicken on the chicken ceasar salad was dry. Personally I preferred the menus on Celebrity and HAL.

My wife the vegetarian also had problems. There was a "Vegetarian Option" which was always a plate of vegetables. No protein like cheese or tofu. On the second last night the dining room manager asked her what she would like for the next evening. She asked for and received Pad Thai. As most of these folks came from Celebrity you would think they would have the same handle on vegetarian menus.

We ended up eating in Breezes on two nights as it had better options for both of us. You could create your own stirfry in addition to the other buffet options.

Aqualina service was excellent. Again no vegetarian option but they prepared a special dish. My filet mignon was good but served on a bed of white beans! Eew! The chocolate soufflé and the chocolate lava cake were both wonderful.

We really liked not having formal nights and the reduction in the quantity of clothing we had to bring as a result.

The cabin layout was good although the shower is tiny. They could use a couple of wall hooks to hang a hat or jacket on. I was disappointed in the lack of attention paid to the condition of the cabin. As a hobbyist woodworker I noticed the defective drawer slides, and the loose and badly hung cabinet doors, not to mention the not connected door hinges. The TV had what I expect was the newer wall mount and was fine.

To me the attraction of Azamara is the itineraries and no formal nights. The butler concept has yet to prove its value. Again, we enjoyed ourselves but if the same itinerary was available on HAL or Celebrity I would be hard pressed to pay a premium for Azamara.

Bodger

Archived