Cavetubing and MORE!

jillmar

Hi! I've been reading this forum quite a bit and really appreciate all the suggestions and input. Here is my question.

My husband and I want to cavetube in Belize. We do not want to book with the cruise ship. But I was wondering if there is a tour company or private driver for hire that would take just us cavetubing and also be able to fit something else in during the day. Maybe a tour of the city, a stop for a drink, a litte shopping etc. I know the cruise ship says the cavetubing tour is 6.5 hours long but I thought if we went on our own we would take up less time and have time left over for something else. Has anyone ever done this? Can you recommend someone?

Thanks for your help!:)

Hi! I've been reading this forum quite a bit and really appreciate all the suggestions and input. Here is my question.

My husband and I want to cavetube in Belize. We do not want to book with the cruise ship. But I was wondering if there is a tour company or private driver for hire that would take just us cavetubing and also be able to fit something else in during the day. Maybe a tour of the city, a stop for a drink, a litte shopping etc. I know the cruise ship says the cavetubing tour is 6.5 hours long but I thought if we went on our own we would take up less time and have time left over for something else. Has anyone ever done this? Can you recommend someone?

Several friends have gone on this @ different times. HIGHLY recommend!

I think if you will check out the thread "cavetubing.com vs. Major Tom", this will best answer your questions about NON cruise vendors to consider.

I know from personal experience with Major Tom that you should be able to do all you are looking for as he customizes his tours to meet guests needs.

Cave-tubing.com was great and got us back in plenty of time for lunch, shopping, etc. Also, in the beginning, they gave us a FREE 30min. narrated bus tour of the city while we waited for all the slow pokes getting off the ship:) . Our group size was small too so we got personal attention...

You probably won't have a whole lot of time after the tubing because it is a good 45min. drive into the mountains, and then a 30-40 min. walk, and then another 1-hour of tubing.. But it was great, its a "must do" !!!

we used a man named Ignacio last week. He was fantastic. We emailed him with an idea of what we wanted to do and he wrote us back very quickly with a plan. It was great and we did exactly what worked for us, not a large group of people. It was just my family and him and his wife. They were so accomodating. We did a cave tubing tour (2 caves and a much shorter walk to the cave entrance), we also had lunch in the resort restaurant with a waitress and AC. Most of the other tours ate outside and in a buffet line. Then we went to the Belize zoo. Now this was the plan that worked best for us with 2 little kids. They covered all the details from picking us up at the gate to providing a car seat, to a tour of belize city. They were full of information and so entertaining. I would highly recommend them without hesitation. They do all sorts of tours, cave, ruins, etc. You can email him at nacho_cynthia(at)yahoo(dot)com You will not be disappointed.

My wife and I just got off the 10/20 Glory sailing. In Belize we used MAJ Tom ********* to go tubing and to do the zip line. Since we were the only 2 in the group who were doing the zip line he had someone that works for him drive us around. We had extra time to drive around the city and see other stuff so it worked out very nicely to us. She knows everyone so we were able to cut in front of the other people doing the zipline and got a more individualized tour of Belize. If you would like to contact her for her services, her name is Linda Gilharry and can be reached at ebokbz2000@yahoo.com

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am thinking now we won't be doing the cave tubing. Maybe an ATV excursion, the brewery and Old Belize (or something similar).

Amandachit, did you tour guide speak English well? I actually called another guide that someone recommended (she said he spoke English well) and couldn't understand a word he said.

I am assuming Major Tom only does cave tubing tours and not other tours. Anyone know? Any other suggestions?

I really appreciate all your help!:) ;)

yes, in fact he and Cynthia lived in California for many years, although they were both born in Belize. There was no problem with communication in any way. I would be happy to answer any other questions that you have. It is important to pick someone that you feel comfortable with.

Ignacio called me. He said he could take us to the zoo, the Belikin Beer, Old Belize and the city of Belize but no ATV. He quoted $125/person. Compared to what you did and paid would you say that is reasonable? I just don't know what to do. I must say that Ignacio was very pleasant and easy to understand!:D

yes, I would say that is great. We paid $89 per person. Ours was the zoo and the caves. There is a lot of driving to be done and he will provide a great tour. I would say "Go for it!" Everything we did was the best of quality. I hope that you enjoy it! Have a good time.

:) I took a group of 20 Cave Tubing with Major Tom and his crew through **************** back in August. We had a wonderful experience. We had all ages from 5 to a slow 58. Major Tom and Tom Jr. took care of everything and even went so far as to help my Dad (who is slow) enjoy the experience. We had small children and they provided an extra guide just to help with the kids. He gave us ALOT of Belize history on the drive out and stopped and bought us some local fruit on the way back to the cruise ship. Time was not a problem...they are well aware of the ships departure time and got us back with time to spare. I would highly recommend them and plan to us them the next time we are in Belize!!

Archived