Recommendations for Snorkel Gear

jessiec33

I would like to buy my family some snorkel gear for Christmas to use on our upcoming cruise to the Bahamas in May. Does anybody have any recommendations?

I have a few pairs of goggles at home and they all seem to leak, I would love to hear from you on what brands of gear that you have that really work!

My kids are 6 and 9 so I would be looking at the youth sets in the medium price range ($30-$40).

Thanks!

We bought US Divers sets for our kids (now 7 & 10) 3 years ago in Hawaii at Wal-Mart and Costco and the sets have held up really well for us. I've seen them here at our Costco and Wal-Mart as well and the price point is really reasonable at between $25-$30 for all 3 pieces. I bought a more expensive set for myself and the regulator on my snorkle broke after one use!!:p

It's a good idea if you know you'll be using them quite a bit, plus I don't like the idea of renting, I know they clean all the equipment, but still......

Cindra

We also each have our own sets from Walmart. They work just fine. We all had very expensive setswith custom fitted snorkels, prescription masks, and special fins($180 each set!). Guess what, the suitcase with them in was not in the warehouse when we disembarked. No clue what happened to it? After that, we just decided to go with something inexpensive. If someone decides to take them, we're not out hundreds of dollars.

You may want to check ebay. There are tons of sets on there, in case you can't find any in stores. I bought a Body Glove set from Sam's over the summer, but of course they won't have them now. I got the same set (brand new) for my DH on ebay (don't ask me why I didn't buy him one from Sam's). My friend who dives tells me it's a good brand. For my kids I bought sets from Target over the summer that were Speedo. And know that you can easily rent fins anywhere you go, so you may just want to buy the mask and snorkel. Fins take up a lot of room in the suitcase too.

Archived